I Have My Base Burner (BB)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jun. 05, 2011 5:50 pm

SteveZee, thanks for the infos. First time I hear about that product. Always something new to discover on the forum...

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jun. 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Today I filled the BB's fire pot and had.............12.75 pounds if flush to the top. I don't know if I can cone it a little due to the horizontal back draft?
I think that little load will be correct for the small room and keep the piano inside.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Mon. Jun. 06, 2011 10:47 am

Nortcan..... You can cone it up a bit in the middle of the fire pot , but I think you really won't have to. You don't want to block the draft opening or restrict the air movement to the stove pipe. I say she will burn fine and long enough with the coal level and even with the top of the fire pot. You'll have to experiment with the Bride to see what she likes. All Brides are different ;) Looking foward to see her fired up this coming season.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Jun. 06, 2011 9:03 pm

buck24 wrote:Nortcan..... You can cone it up a bit in the middle of the fire pot , but I think you really won't have to. You don't want to block the draft opening or restrict the air movement to the stove pipe. I say she will burn fine and long enough with the coal level and even with the top of the fire pot. You'll have to experiment with the Bride to see what she likes. All Brides are different ;) Looking foward to see her fired up this coming season.
buck24. As you can see or imaginate, I like to make some experiences with the Bride. I think I will try her for a small warmup just for fun. As soon as I decide to get on the chimney's job...

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Jun. 06, 2011 9:09 pm

lobsterman. I saw in the Vig II manual: Max heat output= 50,000Btu's/hr and Fuel capacity= 45 Lbs. So if I'm correct 12.75 Lbs= 14,000Btu's/hr. for the Bride.
That is close to your's numbers.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jun. 08, 2011 8:43 pm

With a capacity of only 12-14 pounds of coal, it would be a big plus to replace the magazine in the stove. It had one originally. Since the stove is so small you could probably make a magazine out of a piece of cast iron drain pipe. You could then get 24 hour burn times on a load of coal. I think the magazine should extend to just an inch or two above the top of the fire pot. Just one more thing to make the Golden Bride perfect.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Jun. 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Will, my idea was to try the bride as is and see how it works. Meanwhile I'm thinking about the magazine. I know someone in USA having a stove looking like mine (but not the same) and he will take the stove apart to restore it. His stove has a magazine and he will send me photos showing it and how it's hooked at the top. He already sent me some photos showing it and it seems to have 2 parts: magazine and the chute. Stoves I saw having a magazine had a square top opening. Mine has a round one surronded by an other fixed square one. I wonder if I have to change or remove the round one to have access to the square magazine???
The photos from the other stove may help to see that ???

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Jun. 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Here are some photos showing magazine/chute. The first ones are from the Merry Bride (looks like mine) and others from a Bryant Stoves Kalamazoo. Finally the last one is from my stove showing the round and square top parts.

Attachments

merry_bride_open_door.jpg

Merry Bride

.JPG | 234.7KB | merry_bride_open_door.jpg
merry_bride_open_door1.jpg

Merry Bride

.JPG | 241.9KB | merry_bride_open_door1.jpg
merry_bride_top_feed.jpg

Merry Bride

.JPG | 97KB | merry_bride_top_feed.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 004.jpg

Kalamazoo

.JPG | 42.6KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 004.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 006.jpg

Kalamazoo

.JPG | 41.1KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 006.jpg
DSC03365.JPG

Golden Bride's top

.JPG | 141.2KB | DSC03365.JPG

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Mon. Jun. 13, 2011 9:32 am

If you do come across a magazine for the Bride or have one made, keep me in mind. I'd like to have one made for the Penn-Garnet stove too. Should be the same by the pictures. Might be able to get a better price by having more than one made.

You are way more on top of the stove restore than I am. Mine is still sitting in the same place it was collecting dust! Hopefully I can get to it by this winter.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Jun. 13, 2011 7:32 pm

oros35 wrote:If you do come across a magazine for the Bride or have one made, keep me in mind. I'd like to have one made for the Penn-Garnet stove too. Should be the same by the pictures. Might be able to get a better price by having more than one made.

You are way more on top of the stove restore than I am. Mine is still sitting in the same place it was collecting dust! Hopefully I can get to it by this winter.
Hi oros35. I take infos for magazine conception but dont't really know actually if I will go ahead for that project??? I aim burning about 4/5 Lbs on a 12Hrs period with the Golden Bride so a magazine is not an obligation. The Vig burns about 10/12 Lbs on a 12 Hrs period for cold days and just a little more on the coldest ones. On warmer days, it burnt about 4 Lbs for 12 Hrs and about 6 Lbs after the shaking for an other 12 Hrs. So the ""Venerable"" Bride should be able (I hope so) to beat the ""Modern"" Vig II for the very low burning demand. That way I will burn the Vig at a lower Temp. and the Bride just idling.

But as soon as I get photos on the Merry Bride magazine and infos I will join them here. I asked my U.S. friend to take as much photos of the magazine dis-assembly as possible and some measurements of it.
When I got the Golden Bride, she was in a very good shape and could have been used as it was. I think working on my stove is a sort of therapy for me (hope it's the same for the Bride, the 2 brides...). Just begin and you will see...

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jun. 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Always curious how long we can take to do just little changes. I removed the lightning fixture and the electric box, the sheetrock at the back of the stove, re-installed the electric things...and the Sunday was ended. More difficult cause the floor sits on the previous patio concrete slab, so no access to this basement for the electric wirings. But I will finish the heat shields and and after .... the chimney.

Attachments

DSC03366.JPG
.JPG | 53.9KB | DSC03366.JPG
DSC03367.JPG
.JPG | 54.8KB | DSC03367.JPG
DSC03375.JPG

Ready for the heat shields

.JPG | 154.6KB | DSC03375.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 14, 2011 1:54 pm

My good friend, you're just finding everything else in the world to do--to avoid getting up on that roof & getting the chimney done. :roll2: :gee:

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Tue. Jun. 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Nortcan..... Time sure flies when you are having fun. I have to agree with FF on this one. Want to see the chimney project. Only have a couple months before she gets cold again. Remember, measure twice.... cut once. ;)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jun. 14, 2011 8:28 pm

freetown fred wrote:My good friend, you're just finding everything else in the world to do--to avoid getting up on that roof & getting the chimney done. :roll2: :gee:
Right on my Fred Friend...but

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 14, 2011 8:31 pm

No buts Pierre. :)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”