I Have My Base Burner (BB)

wilderness

Post by wilderness » Fri. Feb. 03, 2012 11:10 pm

a pellet stove - cmon man!! lol - no not interested - you guys seem sincere thanks - I think ill enjoy the beauty of it and soon find some time to finish her properly with your help - im pretty handy and will cement her - I live near buffalo ny

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Feb. 04, 2012 8:18 am

wilderness wrote:a pellet stove - cmon man!! lol - no not interested - you guys seem sincere thanks - I think ill enjoy the beauty of it and soon find some time to finish her properly with your help - im pretty handy and will cement her - I live near buffalo ny
If possible for you, don't forget photos showing the all around and inside of your Bride.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2012 9:16 am

wilderness wrote:a pellet stove - cmon man!! lol - no not interested - you guys seem sincere thanks - I think ill enjoy the beauty of it and soon find some time to finish her properly with your help - im pretty handy and will cement her - I live near buffalo ny
That's a great idea, glad to hear that. What type of heat do you use currently ? Definitely keep us updated with a lot of pictures.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Feb. 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Here is the new smaller one for the small Bride, very frugal on the food :!:

Attachments

DSC04212.JPG
.JPG | 60KB | DSC04212.JPG

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi, an update before the near end of the present subject.
I finally removed the magazine from the Golden Bride. I made many testings with and without the mag and decided that I preffer without the mag.
Loading this stove from the front door is so easy and clean that now I only use the front door. With the mag I must shake the stove every 12 Hrs just like without the mag
and the capacity of the mag don't gives much more burn time if not shaked.
The mag is not a bad thing but it hides the fire very much over the fire pot. The fire pot having just 9.5" Diam, there still be not much place left for viewing the fire around it.

Attachments

DSC04003.JPG

With the magazine

.JPG | 113.5KB | DSC04003.JPG
DSC04223.JPG

Without the magazine

.JPG | 93.2KB | DSC04223.JPG
DSC04221.JPG
.JPG | 96.6KB | DSC04221.JPG

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Well if it doesn't add more hours to the burn time, then you might as well enjoy looking at the fire.

Very nice stove.. how long will the small firepot full burn at a low to moderate fire?

Greg L

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 6:31 pm

LsFarm wrote:Well if it doesn't add more hours to the burn time, then you might as well enjoy looking at the fire.

Very nice stove.. how long will the small firepot full burn at a low to moderate fire?

Greg L
Greg, the stove burns 12 to 14 Hrs non stop at 125/150* F., on the side of the stove(not many places to put a thermometer on these stoves like you can see on the photo). The most of the time I put 4 Lbs of nut anthracite. 5/6 Lbs is very rare, it's if too much shaked.
You'r right, looking at the fire is better than looking at a cast iron pipe :lol:

Attachments

DSC04207.JPG
.JPG | 84KB | DSC04207.JPG

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Nortcan..... I have to agree with you on leaving the magazine out. She looks so good on the outside may as well look that good on the inside. How is it working out with the Vigll and the Bride burning at the same time :?: Stay warm up there.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Buck24, both stoves run at the same time but the Vigll makes about ???80% of the total heat. The Bride makes just the small part of the heating, in a small 10 F X 16 F living room. My biggest concern about the Bride before the first fire was to know if the stove could idle at a vey low temp. And the Bride makes it in a perfect way.
The heat produced from the Vigll is sent in all the home via a special air handlers system. The Bride beeing in a North oriented room having many windows and a sliding door,, it makes that place a favorite place for all the family now.
I can lower the Vig temp to compensate for the heat produced from the Bride.
For someone having a large house or having a part of the house colder, a small base burner is a very good option. There may be other options but the one I told you all along this subject is the one I experimented.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Feb. 13, 2012 10:14 am

Aren't you glad you got a base burner. I told you that you would be amazed at it once you got it started. :D

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Feb. 13, 2012 10:35 pm

wsherrick wrote:Aren't you glad you got a base burner. I told you that you would be amazed at it once you got it started. :D
Honestly Will, I'm not happy at all about all you told me about having a Base Burner!

I did all you told me to do: I bought a Base Burner, made a few little works on it like making the stove more air tight but nothing very complicated.
I made some testings on the way to shake the 2 grates...like you told me to do...
I changed my mind about antique stoves ...like you learned it to us ...
All that to arrive at one conclusion about what you told me:
NO, I don't like a Base Burner....I LOVE IT :!:
I love it so much that I must find an other Antique one to replace the Vigll. :clap:
Thanks to have been able to change my mind. Each times I look at my Bride, I think to you :lol:

ashburnham55
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Crown 112
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ashburnham55 » Thu. Feb. 16, 2012 9:58 pm

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Feb. 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks ashburnham55 for the link.
It's quite a stove! But 2 problems for me: quite expensive and not an insert model. But it still be a very nice stove.
What I'm looking for is an insert firelace model. They were mortared in the fireplace, opposite to a free standing stove. Look like on the included photos.

Attachments

1.3-Windsor-Baltimore.jpg

One model

.JPG | 49.4KB | 1.3-Windsor-Baltimore.jpg
6-Windsor.jpg

An other model

.JPG | 38.3KB | 6-Windsor.jpg

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Feb. 18, 2012 1:54 am

a bit pricey but they do still exist.

http://www.thebrassknob.com/detail.cfm?ID=2931&category=5

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Feb. 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Smokeyja wrote:a bit pricey but they do still exist.

http://www.thebrassknob.com/detail.cfm?ID=2931&category=5
Thanks for the link but that one is only for expo. I did contacted the owner and got some more photos and I sent them in a previous post, page 55 of the present subject.
I got 2 others sellers but almost on the West Coast. Very far to have a look at the stove.
Anyways, I thank you and all the other forum members who work hard to find out my dream stove.
The best would be to find one on the North- Eastern Coast side.

Attachments

5.9Windsor.jpg

$$$ and for expo only

.JPG | 611.2KB | 5.9Windsor.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”