I Have My Base Burner (BB)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 06, 2013 7:12 pm

I always said that it was nice to come back on the forum to give a report on how a stove perfoms so members can learn (excepted for those who don't need so ;) ) if a restoration or some modifications.... work or not. Many times I took an idea here on the forum and used it on a completly different way. Working or not, the most important is to try something if wanting to improve something. If it's perfect, don't touch it.
OK now: the Golden Bride still sleeping again.
But the Sunnyside is on duty, after 45 non-stop days, the results are very good. No more grate jammings. So easy to use and the house is more confortable than with all the other stoves I got. The colder days will arrive soon so I will see if the Golden should come back to the job or not :?:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 8:42 am

Sad days for the small Golden Bride. :(
Having temps in the -20*C/-4*F to -27*C/-16.6*F, the Sunnyside still doing the heating job alone, keeping all the house warm.
But hard to resist to get the small BB sending a little heat around :gee:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 9:05 am

Aaaaaahh, can't the Golden Bride come out and play too ? :D

Paul

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Aaaaaahh, can't the Golden Bride come out and play too ? :D

Paul
Right Paul. Impossible to resist any longer so the Golden is on now.
Can't understand those antique stoves collectors having stoves and not using at least one for heating the place :?:
P/S, I just read you post about air over the fire and if possible for you to send photos showing the Inside of your air knob having holes in it. Thanks and hope the best with your modifs :idea:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 11:21 am

The obsession is back again, so I decided to put the magazine back in the Golden. I modified the bottom end a little , just to keep busy and practice a little welding job :D. Worked great for the past 6 days.
Easier to keep the fire after 12/13 Hrs burn time, easier to shake the ash down without dumping too much stuff in the pan, easier to adjust the heat output rate...saying easier doen't mean it was ""hard to do"" but I need some reasons... :lol: .

Attachments

DSC05918.JPG
.JPG | 56.8KB | DSC05918.JPG
DSC05909.JPG

Modif approved

.JPG | 94.4KB | DSC05909.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 11:36 am

They were almost universal in that period so there had to be a good reason why. Nice job. Better kitty cat toasting.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks Franco,
an other plus is the magazine keeps the anthr warmer so almost no recovery time :lol: .
I have the original magazine for the Sunny but to put it back in, it's much more work than for the Golden one. Have to dis-assembly all the top sections... and it's not easy at all... Actually the Sunny burns since the past 68 days non stop, no grate jamming, the perfect world :roll:
Stay warm.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Smart kitty.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 2:41 pm

I really like to read posts about how members like or not their stoves. Specially when having a restored stove, many things to learn from a restoration....but not enough members come back to give us the results about it :(
Anyway, as you know, it's not a problem for me :)
For the last 3 months, the Sunnyside heated the house non-stop. Never losted the fire and very easy to control the heat output.
Even on the coldest Canadian days, the heater burned just a very little more anth.
On the other side the Golden Bride died 3 times. So I removed the flat bars I did put between the triangular grates to keep the ash from dumping too fast. That was when the magazine was not in the stove. But with the mag. in, there was a need for more ash dumped in the center of the grate. Run for 2 weeks now and seems to be O.K.

Attachments

DSC05672.JPG
.JPG | 93.5KB | DSC05672.JPG
DSC03940.JPG
.JPG | 125.2KB | DSC03940.JPG

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Nortcan,

What size coal are you running in the Baltimore Heater and the Golden Bride? I went back a few pages in this thread but didn't see the answer, but being there's 60+ pages, I didn't go through all of them.. Another question for you, also possibly posted previously: What are the dimensions of the Baltimore Heater and how many pounds of coal does it hold while running?

Sorry if these questions were answered before...

dj

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 6:53 pm

dlj wrote:Nortcan,

What size coal are you running in the Baltimore Heater and the Golden Bride? I went back a few pages in this thread but didn't see the answer, but being there's 60+ pages, I didn't go through all of them.. Another question for you, also possibly posted previously: What are the dimensions of the Baltimore Heater and how many pounds of coal does it hold while running?

Sorry if these questions were answered before...

dj
Both stoves run on nut. I did try stove but with not better results. Maybe you remember a post I sent about wet anthracite, it was for stove size. This year the stove is dry but looks like my stoves love nut. Sometime, to get rid of the stove bags I dump a few pieces over a good fire.
The Sunny is a 16" but down to about 14" with the liner. The daily loading is usually from: 10 to 12 pounds for the 12 Hrs period. But the 12 P. is for the colder days :) A very good stove for the special faux-foyer.

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 7:01 pm

nortcan wrote: The Sunny is a 16" but down to about 14" with the liner. The daily loading is usually from: 10 to 12 pounds for the 12 Hrs period. But the 12 P. is for the colder days :) A very good stove for the special faux-foyer.
My question was more not how much you use in a day, but how much is in the stove burning. If it's 14 inches in diameter, how deep is the fire pot? How much coal do you need to fill it? How much you go through in a day is not my interest. Do you think it holds 35 pounds? More? Less?

Also, the dimensions I'm interested in are the over-all stove dimensions. How big of a fire place opening do you need to put one in?

dj

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 5:21 am

so the lil' Baltimore Heater your finding to be better, easier, more efficient than the Golden Bride? how about the differences in heat output of each (ability to heat your home?) You may have touched on it already but this thread is so crazy large its easier for me just to ask :cry:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 1:00 pm

DLJ, sorry about my bad answers, I'm still on the ""Learning Curve"" about English :oops: .
The stove is:
30" from back to front base
34.5" from left to right
34.75" bottom to top.
These are for the surround panel
The fire pot is about 7" H. but when I fill it up, I cone the anthracite. Next time I stop it , I will measure all about that. I can probably put 30 pounds in it ???
The thing I'm 100% shure is that : the results from that heater are much more than I would have expected.

Attachments

DSC06025.JPG
.JPG | 129.1KB | DSC06025.JPG
DSC06026.JPG
.JPG | 110KB | DSC06026.JPG
DSC06027.JPG
.JPG | 101.4KB | DSC06027.JPG

dlj

Post by dlj » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 1:11 pm

nortcan wrote:DLJ, sorry about my bad answers, I'm still on the ""Learning Curve"" about English :oops: .
The stove is:
30" from back to front base
34.5" from left to right
34.75" bottom to top.
These are for the surround panel
The fire pot is about 7" H. but when I fill it up, I cone the anthracite. Next time I stop it , I will measure all about that. I can probably put 30 pounds in it ???
The thing I'm 100% shure is that : the results from that heater are much more than I would have expected.
Nortcan - thanks a bunch. Don't worry about the amount of coal - I imagine 30 pounds is about right. Also, it's more likely my not making a question clear then you not having a good handle on English....

dj

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”