I Have My Base Burner (BB)

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 10:52 am

After reading this entire thread and watching William's videos on the Glenwood #6, I have been convinced to go with a restored stove instead of the newer stoves. I really like the design of the Glenwood and have contacted Barnstable stove company about the one he has listed in his web site. Now just waiting to hear back from them. Thanks to everyone who helped to make up my mind on which way to go.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 11:29 am

Those are sort of stock photo's Doug has on his website. They change (his inventory) all the time but he may have a Glenwood #6 down there, I'm not sure. If not he will probably have an equiv stove like a Wings Best or Herald, Crawford, or Quaker.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 11:37 am

SteveZee wrote:Those are sort of stock photo's Doug has on his website. They change (his inventory) all the time but he may have a Glenwood #6 down there, I'm not sure. If not he will probably have an equiv stove like a Wings Best or Herald, Crawford, or Quaker.
Thanks SteveZee, I kind of figured the website was not that up to date. I did click on the link that said to check out their inventory so was not sure. According to that, he had a #6 and #8. Not familiar with the other stoves you referred to...liked the Glenwood because it is not too over the top in the design. It also does not have a lot of mica glass as I may still burn some wood and that would soot up.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Those others I mentioned all make a base heater and or base burner design that is comparable to the Glenwood. They are all New England stoves and similar designs. The Quakers are very plain (as their name would state) and are big brutes too. All great stoves.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 4:29 pm

SteveZee wrote:Those others I mentioned all make a base heater and or base burner design that is comparable to the Glenwood. They are all New England stoves and similar designs. The Quakers are very plain (as their name would state) and are big brutes too. All great stoves.
Have you ever heard of a Mid Oak Ash parlor stove? There is one listed right here in my area. Here is the link to Craigs list for it. Looks to be in pretty good condition.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Photog200 wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Those others I mentioned all make a base heater and or base burner design that is comparable to the Glenwood. They are all New England stoves and similar designs. The Quakers are very plain (as their name would state) and are big brutes too. All great stoves.
Have you ever heard of a Mid Oak Ash parlor stove? There is one listed right here in my area. Here is the link to Craigs list for it. Looks to be in pretty good condition.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
I know this has strayed off this thread and this will be my last message here. I just talked to the owner and he clarified the name...Gem Dockash. I am going to go look at it this Sunday

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 8:31 am

Looks nice. Now familiar with that name but it looks like late 1800-early 1900 style stove. I would want to see what style grates it has, is the firepot lined, does it have an indirect back pipe for starters. Then inspect it and ask when it was last used and with what fuel. Make sure the ash pit door is tight with no leaks along with the primary vents on that door. They shine at coal burning and are only marginal with wood. Ask for pix of the back of the stove and inside with the loading door opened pointing down at the grates.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks for the info SteveZee, I have already asked him most of those questions and I will be able to see the stove in person tomorrow morning. That is a good question to ask; how long has it been since it was used.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Mar. 17, 2013 10:09 pm

A few weeks ago the temp. was warm enough so I let the G.B. go to bed. But good new, it's getting very cold now so: wake up little Bride...
The Sunny could do the job alone but always fun to put a match in a stove when cold outside :) .

Attachments

DSC04221.JPG
.JPG | 96.6KB | DSC04221.JPG

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Mar. 17, 2013 10:35 pm

nortcan wrote:A few weeks ago the temp. was warm enough so I let the G.B. go to bed. But good new, it's getting very cold now so: wake up little Bride...
The Sunny could do the job alone but always fun to put a match in a stove when cold outside :) .
It is always nice to see a new photo of the bride! It is such a pretty stove.
It has been cold here for the last week and the Gem is keeping me nice and warm but she burns more coal than your base burner does!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Photog200 wrote:
nortcan wrote:A few weeks ago the temp. was warm enough so I let the G.B. go to bed. But good new, it's getting very cold now so: wake up little Bride...
It is always nice to see a new photo of the bride! It is such a pretty stove.
It has been cold here for the last week and the Gem is keeping me nice and warm but she burns more coal than your base burner does!
Thanks Photog, one thing I like from these Antique Stoves is that they ""warm up"" a house all year round. :) Part of the deco!

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 4:02 pm

nortcan wrote:
Photog200 wrote: It is always nice to see a new photo of the bride! It is such a pretty stove.
Thanks Photog, one thing I like from these Antique Stoves is that they ""warm up"" a house all year round. :) Part of the deco!
I could not agree with you more! I am hooked on them for sure...if the weather cooperates I am driving to Maine tomorrow to pick up my "new" 1911 cook stove.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Mar. 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Since a few days the small base burner is sleeping till the next burning season. The shut down dress will look like that. 8-)

Attachments

DSC04336.JPG
.JPG | 55.3KB | DSC04336.JPG
DSC04338.JPG
.JPG | 97.5KB | DSC04338.JPG

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Mar. 22, 2013 8:31 pm

nortcan wrote:Since a few days the small base burner is sleeping till the next burning season. The shut down dress will look like that. 8-)
That looks really nice! Almost like the real coal embers.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 6:31 pm

That is what I call a: 12 months Antique Stove. :lol: And the bulb's little heat helps keeping the humidity away.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”