I Have My Base Burner (BB)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 13, 2011 5:22 pm

I know, my feet show it, they're "LONGFELLOWS" :doh: :rofl: Bon soir my friend. ;)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 15, 2011 11:42 am

Here is how I resolved the air gap leaks between the ash door and the stove's seat. Just glued a rope gasket to the stove seat with Ultra Black Silicone . You can feel the smooth tight pressure when closing/locking the door. Not visible when the door is closed. If wanting a good looking job, the rope gasket can be painted with black HT liquid paint and a small painting brush.

Attachments

DSC03934.JPG
.JPG | 77.8KB | DSC03934.JPG

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Nov. 18, 2011 6:03 pm

In these stoves, like mine the fire pot slides like a drawer and can be pulled out from the lower front door. Nice attention from the engineers of the stove. When pushed completly in, it locks in place from tabs under the side lips, at the back.
When in place it seems to be very tight and ...........air tight. But a closer inspection with a flash light under the fire pot showed an important air leak at the back, from right to left. Maybe a bad re-assembly aligment??? Anyway, the rope gasket solution with Ultra Black Silicone cured that easily.

Attachments

DSC03949.JPG

Sealing rope gasket

.JPG | 124.9KB | DSC03949.JPG

smithy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Columbia
Baseburners & Antiques: Chicago Stove Works home perfect 214
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by smithy » Fri. Nov. 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Yes sir that's a good way to seal her up there Norcan . I will be riding your shirttails when it comes time to do the tweaking on my stove.
I still think this topic needs an index lol

echos67

Post by echos67 » Fri. Nov. 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Nortcan,

With the cooler temps, how is the scorecard looking between the Bride and the Vig ?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 12:31 pm

echos67 wrote:Nortcan,

With the cooler temps, how is the scorecard looking between the Bride and the Vig ?
echos67
Well, still hard to answer to your question. But the Vig II does a great job now. Since I lighted it, it runs very well. Oops, forgot: I made a modif on the Vig II grates and it makes the shaking much more efficient and I don't have to sclice it as before, about once every 2 weeks but still making tests on that...maybe I don't need to sclice ???

On the Bride side, I let the fire die some times to practice my favorite sport: modifs. LOL.

When shaking the outer round grate, it was going off of its' supports/tracks and jammed quite often. So I made some "guides" with rope gaskets (yes again) placed around the front and the back guides. Seems to work good plus seals the front shaker level from air leaks.
But since I made more air leaks seals on the Bride, the stove works very well and can be idling as wanted or get hotter if wanted or reverse if wanted. I'm also testing an other modif I made on the center/triangular grates.

Attachments

DSC03937.JPG

front guide

.JPG | 135.5KB | DSC03937.JPG
DSC03938.JPG

rear guide

.JPG | 115.8KB | DSC03938.JPG

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 7:26 pm

That should keep the grate in-line.

The nickle sure is purty on that stove.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 10:26 pm

echos67 wrote:That should keep the grate in-line.

The nickle sure is purty on that stove.
Thanks echos67.
You'r right the nickle is very nice, the guys at Black Lake Chrome (Qc) made a very nice job.
I wrote a ""few"" posts ago that I cleaned the nickle with Flitz cleaner. But the experience showed me that it's not the best to use for hot parts. After a short while, the nickle began to form a sort of tarnished finish. I imaginated it was the nickle corroding from a bad nickled job. But the problem came from the Flitz product.
I cleaned all nickled parts with dishwashing liquid and the nickle got back with a perfect finish. Now I use it for cleaning nickled parts and they shine just like new and they stay cleaner for a much longer time.

Attachments

DSC03425.JPG
.JPG | 127.7KB | DSC03425.JPG
DSC03429.JPG
.JPG | 92.9KB | DSC03429.JPG
DSC03432.JPG
.JPG | 150KB | DSC03432.JPG

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Nov. 20, 2011 11:55 am

Hey Nortcan,

When are you going to update your avitar? You have two stoves now, don't you think you should have a picture of both so everyone can see them???? Or is the Bride too bashfull? ;)

dj

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Nov. 20, 2011 12:18 pm

dlj wrote:Hey Nortcan,

When are you going to update your avitar? You have two stoves now, don't you think you should have a picture of both so everyone can see them???? Or is the Bride too bashfull? ;)

dj
Again dlj I must ask the meaning of a word: bashfull? Is it a sort of base burner for the brides?
For the avatar picture, the race for the first place is not finished yet.
I though the Bride would get ahead of the VigII in a few ...fires but the road tests revealed some works to do on the Golden, she's about 105 Yrs. old sooo. Now I think these 2 stoves are very good stoves, different but very good. I'm afraid to write how much anthracite I put in the Bride this morning( I will have to recalibrate my pail to a lower mark) and it or she will idles for the next 12 Hrs without saying a single word at about 115*F. Is that the meaning of bashfull? LOL
Bonne journée DJ

Attachments

DSC03116.JPG
.JPG | 96.1KB | DSC03116.JPG

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Nov. 20, 2011 12:34 pm

nortcan wrote: Again dlj I must ask the meaning of a word: bashfull?
Bonne journée DJ
Nortcan,

I believe the translation of bashful to French would be timide.

dj

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Nov. 20, 2011 12:44 pm

dlj wrote:
nortcan wrote: Again dlj I must ask the meaning of a word: bashfull?
Bonne journée DJ
Nortcan,

I believe the translation of bashful to French would be timide.

dj
Thanks dj. Yes, the Bride may be a little timide but you know a bride in a new home and ...being in competition so soon, not easy for her. 105 Y.O. competing with a young and Vigilant is not evident for her.
But she makes the job one day after the other and slowly makes her place.
Who will win the challenge is a big guess now.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 9:18 am

Pierre,

Excellent work on the bride again! That's a clever fix to wrap the gasket material like that and use with permatex. I was almost hoping for some warm days (almost ;) ) to shut the Herald down and try some ultrablack. LOL, I Iike the "favorite sport" comment! Always improving is the key!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 2:35 pm

SteveZee wrote:Pierre,

Excellent work on the bride again! That's a clever fix to wrap the gasket material like that and use with permatex. I was almost hoping for some warm days (almost ;) ) to shut the Herald down and try some ultrablack. LOL, I Iike the "favorite sport" comment! Always improving is the key!
Yes Steve a nice sport but a very dangerous one, you have to wear eyes protection, welder gloves, detectors of all kinds, have a fresh beer near you and all the accessories needed like a rocking chair and beer table...Well not a sport for everyone. LOL

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 5:28 pm

dlj wrote:Hey Nortcan,

dj
After a few hesitations, she accepted! :mad:
But I don't know how to do to have both in the same avatar. :gee:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”