I Have My Base Burner (BB)

echos67

Post by echos67 » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 6:48 pm

I must say, your avatar looks alot better now, just my .02 though.

Keith

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 7:13 pm

nortcan...... I don't think that the Vig ll is going to be too happy when she sees what you have done. All the work she has done for you in the heating department and she is pushed out of the picture by an older Bride. :o Stay warm up there the cold should be getting here soon.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 8:31 pm

echos67 wrote:I must say, your avatar looks alot better now, just my .02 though.

Keith
Thanks echos67.
Not always easy to take the best decision. But your .02 now worth more than .02 Canadian. LOL.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 8:36 pm

buck24 wrote:nortcan...... I don't think that the Vig ll is going to be too happy when she sees what you have done. All the work she has done for you in the heating department and she is pushed out of the picture by an older Bride. :o Stay warm up there the cold should be getting here soon.
buck24, you know the Vig said: "no problem, she's so old...and I'm so young".
Yes the cold is arrived here too. Now, -7*C.
A la prochaine

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 10:38 pm

nortcan wrote: After a few hesitations, she accepted! :mad:
But I don't know how to do to have both in the same avatar. :gee:
Nortcan,

There are probably more ways to do this than I know, but two ways come to mind that should be fairly easy:

1) You can put two separate photos together with a image processing program like imageJ (free program); photoshop (not free) or any other program that allows you to work with images and put them together.

2) Print out two photos, one of each stove, trim them to how you want them to be next to each other and put them on a scanner and scan them into your computer as one photo...

dj

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 7:39 am

nortcan wrote:
buck24 wrote:nortcan...... I don't think that the Vig ll is going to be too happy when she sees what you have done. All the work she has done for you in the heating department and she is pushed out of the picture by an older Bride. :o Stay warm up there the cold should be getting here soon.
buck24, you know the Vig said: "no problem, she's so old...and I'm so young".
Yes the cold is arrived here too. Now, -7*C.
A la prochaine
16 Degrees F here this morning Pierre. A nice test for my two and they have passed with an A! 71 downstairs when I came down. I did notice that they used more than the normal coal but that's just fine with me. I saw a movie and at 10pm, threw a last scoop onto both. 9 hours later its magnifique! :)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 10:11 am

dlj wrote:
nortcan wrote: After a few hesitations, she accepted! :mad:
But I don't know how to do to have both in the same avatar. :gee:
Nortcan,

There are probably more ways to do this than I know, but two ways come to mind that should be fairly easy:

1) You can put two separate photos together with a image processing program like imageJ (free program); photoshop (not free) or any other program that allows you to work with images and put them together.

2) Print out two photos, one of each stove, trim them to how you want them to be next to each other and put them on a scanner and scan them into your computer as one photo...

dj
Thanks dj, I will try that

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 10:32 am

Steve, happy for you, not so cold here, 30*F this morning.
Lost the fire in the Bride yesterday. Before I modif the grate guides and the center ones, it was almost impossible to touch the shaker lever without dumping too much ash and unburnt anthracite. I did just touch the center handle and made it vibrate, not beginning to rotate and all was falling in the ash pan. With the outer grate, it was always jamming, caused from the grate going out of the slides. There was also a large gap between the outer grate at the front and the center one, that didn't help.
Now the school starts again.
Both grates work fine but I should find the correct way to use them. I try to use the outer one most of the time.
The by pass damper in the back of the ash pit seems also a funny thing to adjust to get the best from the stove. Now I think that the stove is in good shape so I must do the same with myself!
Bonne journée

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 5:02 pm

This morning when I left for work, the check damper was in the closed position. Usually I leave it about 1/2 open. When I got back about 1 Hr later, my wife told me that the Bride was burning quite high... 250*F. So I showed her how to lower the fire by opening the check damper, wait and can close a little the air damper if needed... So I did it to show her and very rapidly the fire slow down to 200...150*F. Now the stove reacts very well.
But the funny thing I wanted to tell you is that, at just 250*F my wife found this stove warmer than the Vig for the same temp. Maybe the micas effect but it radiates hot air even at low burning rate.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Those check dampers work quite well! I use mine allot on the Herald too.

On the shaker, I'm sure you've got the feel for it Pierre. If the outer one would stay on the tracks, that is the easier one to use I think. It takes more shaking, but only ash goes down and you rarely waste any coal. The bar type like the middle take more finesse and must be moved ever so slightly, more like a vibration as you said. These are faster but you lose some lumps.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 7:42 pm

nortcan wrote:This morning when I left for work, the check damper was in the closed position. Usually I leave it about 1/2 open. When I got back about 1 Hr later, my wife told me that the Bride was burning quite high... 250*F. So I showed her how to lower the fire by opening the check damper, wait and can close a little the air damper if needed... So I did it to show her and very rapidly the fire slow down to 200...150*F. Now the stove reacts very well.
But the funny thing I wanted to tell you is that, at just 250*F my wife found this stove warmer than the Vig for the same temp. Maybe the micas effect but it radiates hot air even at low burning rate.
Hey Nortcan,
Thats great, atleast another point for the Bride, maybe 2 if you count the warmer temp and adjustability. Whats the score ?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 8:55 pm

SteveZee wrote:Those check dampers work quite well! I use mine allot on the Herald too.

On the shaker, I'm sure you've got the feel for it Pierre. If the outer one would stay on the tracks, that is the easier one to use I think. It takes more shaking, but only ash goes down and you rarely waste any coal. The bar type like the middle take more finesse and must be moved ever so slightly, more like a vibration as you said. These are faster but you lose some lumps.
To make it easier for my wife when I'm not home I draw in the stoves records book how all the levers work, pr.air damper, MPD, check damper... and where they are supposed to be during normal burning, where to place them if wanting a higher fire or a lowere one. Super but I also must learn that too. LOL.
I made a mark on the check damper lever at 1/2 of it's way so it's easier to fine tune the stove, it gives an idea of the interior damper position.
I will send a photo showing what I did to the center grates.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 9:07 pm

echos67 wrote:
nortcan wrote:This morning when I left for work, the check damper was in the closed position. Usually I leave it about 1/2 open. When I got back about 1 Hr later, my wife told me that the Bride was burning quite high... 250*F. So I showed her how to lower the fire by opening the check damper, wait and can close a little the air damper if needed... So I did it to show her and very rapidly the fire slow down to 200...150*F. Now the stove reacts very well.
Hey Nortcan,
Thats great, atleast another point for the Bride, maybe 2 if you count the warmer temp and adjustability. Whats the score ?
But the Vig II has the best swing out ash pan system.
With the magazine both are top load but the Bride keeps the fuel warm/hot so there is less dead time or temp. drop like when feeding the Vig II.
The score??? 2 very good stoves for now. Time will be the best judge. This stove looks like a sport car: very fast for the temp adjustability.
Before we didn't sit in this living room very often but now it's so confortable...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Nov. 23, 2011 6:24 pm

nortcan wrote:Before we didn't sit in this living room very often but now it's so confortable...
Just to sit and watch the stove must be a pleasure. The payoff for all the work you did.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Nov. 24, 2011 6:14 pm

franco b wrote:
nortcan wrote:Before we didn't sit in this living room very often but now it's so confortable...
Just to sit and watch the stove must be a pleasure. The payoff for all the work you did.
Thanks Franco.
You can't be more right, it's a real pleasure. I think that firebug is also right when he says that with a modern stove he would have warm times during the winter but the rest of the year not the beauty of an antique stove. I think the Vig II is a very nice stove but I got more than surprised to see how all peoples coming home find the Bride (not my wife) so nice.
Modern stoves have a lot to offer but now I can say that antique stoves are a very different world.
Even today I told to my wife, the nice one, how the Bride was easy to control and to fine tune. It reacts so differently from the Vig. Why???????????

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”