I Have My Base Burner (BB)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:Nortcan,

You are very artistic in the way you take pictures. Perfect example is the first set of pictures you took of the stove. The stove itself is gorgeous but your pictures make it look even more so. You are doing an incredible job with the restoration. But I do have to ask, was the stove that clean when you picked it up or did you clean it? Because, either way. That is impressive with how clean that stove is.
IOF, thanks. You know, one of my dreams... is to make a photo of you wearing your "so nice gree pants" LOL and re-LOL...

Ok now, When I negotiated for buying the BB (now you know my BB), a condition for me was to have the stove rebuilt from Bryant Stoves and they did it. You can see the job if you want. Just go back to page 3 of the present.
Everybody on the forum are already waiting for that photo ...

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Here is the best way to make sure the mica windows are tight. Get some very thin gasket like you use for the windows in the Vigilant. Cement the gasket to the frame that goes behind and holds the mica in place. Use something sticky to simply hold each window square in place until you put the holding frame on. Insert the bolts the hold the frame on the door and tighten all the bolts evenly so the frame is slowly pressing down on the mica uniformly. Continue until the frame is fully tightened on the door.
This is an easy way to make sure there are no leaks and you can remove the frame and windows easily in the future.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Will. I think that your method should be a very good one. What I did with clear gasket cement is Ok for 1 or 2 windows but all a job for more than 40 ones. And I want the stove as air thight as possible. You already said: the Mica should be air thight and I agree with that 100%.
Thank for the method and be sure I will try it.

PS I looked at your 6 videos you made on the Argand stove. Super. I love watching that kind of videos.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Mar. 28, 2011 11:40 am

Hi, 4Th Mica beein pressed while drying. I will finish the 2 ones at left than try William's suggestions with a gasket rope seal.
As you can see, the curves in these frame/door supports are severe...
I see why Glenwood stoves were and Still so popular. Less windows mean less maintenance... Anyway I have my BB and love it or her and hope she will works like a good Golden Bride.

Attachments

DSC03009.JPG

holding method

.JPG | 135.2KB | DSC03009.JPG
DSC03013.JPG

back support

.JPG | 57.7KB | DSC03013.JPG

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Mar. 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Just to say that I received an email from Bryant Stoves this morning. They could send me new hinge pins for free if I want so. The doors closed so perfectly I understand why they didn't see the gap at the bottom of the door. I also knew the stove was not new...

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Mar. 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Go ahead and get them to send you the pins. You can always put the old ones back if you need to.

Thanks for watching the Stanley Argand videos. I'm glad you liked them.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Mar. 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi. Although the nickle was not supposed to be for this year, I did succumbed for the look of my "Bride, the Golden one" and the wife said yes. So this morning we made the trip, 1.25 Hr far from here. I didn't want to send parts via a transport, getting a part lost in the transport could be a real problem cause this stove seems to be from a very small production. So find replacement parts could be a real nightmare.
The chrome shop has a very good reputation for nickling on old range stoves...antique cars. The price seems to be correct and I know a guy around here who thold me he has all his re-nickled parts done from there.
So the Black Magic Golden Bride will get some "Spring time colors".

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Outstanding nortcan :D

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Mar. 30, 2011 7:38 pm

freetown fred wrote:Outstanding nortcan :D
Fred, you said a few times " you were an old man...". With all the time playing around with my "new" Bride, I realized that being or getting old seem to be a great quality. Very often old means being more experienced, and experience is not from any schools. These old/antique stoves were absolutly nothing for me before I began to read posts, ...from peoples on this forum. I don't want to sell you the idea of an antique stove but just say that the more we study them, the more we get impressed from their's "old experience" high- tech. back in 188??? / 19???. If someone really wants to learn about anthracite stove for tech. conception, antique stoves are the best teachers fo it.
So my friend, keep on growing old and keep your actual young mind.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 10:32 am

All doors on the stove are closing almost perfectly excepted for the front one having a gap at the bottom. I made the dollar bill testing and was surprised cause the fit was better than what I supposed it would be for a metal on metal seal. But I'm in love with rope gaskets so I'm placing very small flat gasket for the doors sealing. Now the doors have airthight seal and the gaskets being black, the lokk is good. No not really antique but air thight.

Attachments

DSC03032.JPG
.JPG | 137.9KB | DSC03032.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 10:53 am

Sometimes if we're going to use something, instead of just look at it, we have to make some minor compromises to get the optimum performance out of it ;) You're doing an outstanding job my friend. :)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 10:55 am

Did not realize it had window on back. Now you have to place it in middle of room to see the back.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 11:22 am

The doors except for the one you mentioned are already virtually airtight without the gasket, but; I understand the desire. There's not a thing wrong with what you are doing and it gives you the confidence of applying the tried and familiar with the new and unfamiliar. And if there are any tiny leaks you have taken care of them.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 2:35 pm

freetown fred wrote:Sometimes if we're going to use something, instead of just look at it, we have to make some minor compromises to get the optimum performance out of it ;) You're doing an outstanding job my friend. :)
Fred.
As you probably know that, I like more than a little "play", work on my stoves. Keeps my mind on the right place LOL.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 2:37 pm

franco b wrote:Did not realize it had window on back. Now you have to place it in middle of room to see the back.

franco, sorry for the photo. It represents the right hand side of the stove. No window at the back.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”