.JPG | 116.8KB | IMG_6129.JPG
IMG_6128.JPG
.JPG | 122.9KB | IMG_6128.JPG

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks dj, those are some really good pictures. I hope you didn't burn your fingers taking off the door. You can really see the pawl and latch assembly really well.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:01 pm

wsherrick wrote:Thanks dj, those are some really good pictures. I hope you didn't burn your fingers taking off the door. You can really see the pawl and latch assembly really well.
Thanks William. For those two shots I didn't take the door off, just swung it open... Learned my lesson from the earlier photo...

dj

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Yep, the second picture is great, thanks! See how flat your inside edge is? Mine is very rounded so it no longer bites. Hopefully, Doug at Barnstable will size and center my pins for me and redo my latch. Oh yeah, and get me an inner secondary air ring! I need grates too, I forgot to mention that. The center two are badly worn on 1 of 3 edges.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Here is a source for prismatic grates here. They have the sizes needed.

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4865/Stove-Grate ... iplex.html

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 2:01 am

OK some progress on the stove after work tonight. With the skill of a very good and talented friend the old pins were removed from the ash door (not without some tense moments) and the handle back mechanism where it grips the frame was slightly re-shaped. After installing new pins, the ash door now closes tight! Hurrah! More careful inspection shows the rest of the stove also appears tight. I may give it a test drive tomorrow.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 7:35 am

Whooohooo~~!.....Good Luck on the first burn!!!

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 10:34 am

Let us know how that test drive goes. Good luck with the new heat machine. She's a beauty!

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks to everybody that is following the thread. It is yet another raging snow storm on Cape Cod. Luckily I can work at home today. I lit the Glenwood with a wood fire to get it hot and opened a door and window to vent out the smoke from the polish I used. Draft seems excellent but that is more chimney than stove. Coal is being nursed on now and I can already see the blue ladies. A picture to come when I get the fire pot full and get her in base burner mode. This is a very big stove for my house.
William and DJ: can one of you please measure the ash pan as mine is all bent out of shape and seems to be too big for the stove. Is it contoured in front of the primary air vents? Mine is not and it looks like it may capable of restricting air flow. I will get a couple of new ones made from the local tin knocker. I think it will be useful to have two: dirty one out and clean one in with one opening of the door. I consulted with Doug who said the inner 3-piece air ring is not needed and also not to plug the front piece. I am still on the lookout for the ring anyway. If Rob fabs them from steel, I may have to beg him for a set.
And William, I am ready for my base heater certificate now (LOL).

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 1:47 pm

She's in base burner mode, pumping heat out under the bottom convection ring like crazy, primary air vents open 1/8 inch each, MPD closed, measuring 380 on the flat top of the base burner structure, 150 on the stove pipe.

Attachments

IMG_3636.JPG
.JPG | 50KB | IMG_3636.JPG

dlj

Post by dlj » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 7:27 pm

lobsterman wrote:Thanks to everybody that is following the thread. It is yet another raging snow storm on Cape Cod. Luckily I can work at home today. I lit the Glenwood with a wood fire to get it hot and opened a door and window to vent out the smoke from the polish I used. Draft seems excellent but that is more chimney than stove. Coal is being nursed on now and I can already see the blue ladies. A picture to come when I get the fire pot full and get her in base burner mode. This is a very big stove for my house.
William and DJ: can one of you please measure the ash pan as mine is all bent out of shape and seems to be too big for the stove. Is it contoured in front of the primary air vents? Mine is not and it looks like it may capable of restricting air flow. I will get a couple of new ones made from the local tin knocker. I think it will be useful to have two: dirty one out and clean one in with one opening of the door. I consulted with Doug who said the inner 3-piece air ring is not needed and also not to plug the front piece. I am still on the lookout for the ring anyway. If Rob fabs them from steel, I may have to beg him for a set.
And William, I am ready for my base heater certificate now (LOL).
Lobsterman,

My ash pan measures about 15"X13"X3" (= L X W X H) Two should work fine. I only have one and don't really miss a second. I do wish I had two hods...

Well, I don't quite agree with Doug, I would get combustion gases out of my front piece when the ring wasn't in place. worked great when it was in. Right now it's all furnace cement, so I'm running without the ring and with the front piece blocked... I pretty much match Williams performance just about pound for pound in coal and operating temps. Of course, I run a lot hotter than he does. I keep my place warm in the winter. Don't think it actually makes much of a difference as long as you don't get coal gases out while burning. I am thinking however, that once I get the magazine made, I might want my combustion ring back in...

dj

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks, mine is 17 x 14 x 4 3/4, and fits in there only with the front corners hammered down a bit (LOL). It is clearly too big for the stove. Maybe the pan is from a No.8? I am not saying I agree with Doug either about the air rings. In any case, I will find them or have them made. For now it is running good, I cut back on the primaries even further to 1/16 inch it is blowing nasty 30+ knots here rattling windows on the house, 390 at the top of the barrel, 180 on the pipe where it takes a 90 to go up the flue. More heat than I imagined.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 8:57 pm

WOW! This eye candy is making me want one of those! Great find! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it all fired up in it's new home. :)

dlj

Post by dlj » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 9:56 pm

lobsterman wrote:Thanks, mine is 17 x 14 x 4 3/4, and fits in there only with the front corners hammered down a bit (LOL). It is clearly too big for the stove. Maybe the pan is from a No.8? I am not saying I agree with Doug either about the air rings. In any case, I will find them or have them made. For now it is running good, I cut back on the primaries even further to 1/16 inch it is blowing nasty 30+ knots here rattling windows on the house, 390 at the top of the barrel, 180 on the pipe where it takes a 90 to go up the flue. More heat than I imagined.
Your pan sure sounds too big!

I find the stove is most sensitive to where I have my MPD set. I'll often just adjust the MPD and not the door settings. Not running hot enough? Just crack the MPD a bit more. Too hot? Close it down more. It's not until I get into the extremes of banked way down or cracked wide open that they become more important... My MPD is a cast iron damper without the holes in it as many have. It only has the holes where the rod goes through so when I put it straight up and down, there is not much going through the chimney, just the little space for the rod and the small paces around the outside of the damper at the pipe wall.

dj

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Yes, I noticed that too on my Chubby, especially since the MPD had a "tight" installation on the Chubby exhaust. For the Glenwood, I put on it on the stove pipe and the fit is kind of sloppy, something perhaps to change next Spring. But then I noticed that William runs his at 45 deg and mine closed even though a loose fitting is much more restrictive than 45 deg in a tight fitting.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”