Introducing... My Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 11:09 am

Glenwood Base Heater No. 6. So it just fell into my hands, honestly, I was not looking for another stove. First of all let me say to the Chubby aficionados (of which I consider myself one) that I did NOT acquire this stove to replace my Chubby. It will live in a different part of the house. And I don't need more heat. So you see I don't need this stove but it seems it was fateful that I ended up owning it. It reminds me of an antique wood-burning parlor stove that I used for many years in the place where the Chubby now lives. This old No. 6 actually looks pretty nice when it is dressed up in its nickel before I took it apart this morning for transport. More pictures and details to follow when I get it in the house and cleaned up a little. It has been sitting in the basement of an old house on Cape Cod for 10 years unused. As you see from the pic of the inside of the ash door, she was made in 1909. Gonna have to round up some younger muscle to get this one inside. I moved a Chubby by myself into the house, but this one-- no way.

Attachments

glenwood.JPG

sitting in the F250

.JPG | 141.8KB | glenwood.JPG
ashdoor-1909.JPG

Ash door is dated 1909

.JPG | 131.9KB | ashdoor-1909.JPG

lobstah
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by lobstah » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 12:48 pm

That's it ! I am selling my Chubbys, I will be the only one standing. All kidding aside, congratulations on your find. Can't wait for more pictures.

Don

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Nice score on the free stove. Can't beat that. So, where will the Chubby go, exactly?

Paisan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut&pea

Post by Paisan » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Poor little Chubby. :cry:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Congratulations! You now own one of the most advanced and efficient stoves ever made. After you get it restored and installed, you will find out for yourself. You will ask yourself why you didn't get one of these years ago.

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Here she is, cleaned up a bit, back together sitting in the kitchen.

Attachments

IMG_3620_2.JPG
.JPG | 150.4KB | IMG_3620_2.JPG
IMG_3622_2.JPG
.JPG | 144.7KB | IMG_3622_2.JPG
IMG_3624_2.JPG
.JPG | 141.8KB | IMG_3624_2.JPG
IMG_3625.JPG
.JPG | 136.3KB | IMG_3625.JPG

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Very happy for you. Nice stove. I wish the same for me LOL.
nortcan

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Lobsterman,

Stove looks to be in very nice condition! The nickel trim looks really good! There are a couple quick things I didn't see, the original elbow on the rear wasn't in any photos. No big deal, they run fine without them. The second thing, I didn't see the internal ring at the top of the firebox that is the air feed around the top of the fire. Also not a big deal, but you'll have to look to see if the air feed holes are open or plugged. If the ring is missing, I'd plug the holes.

Are you going to get it restored? Doesn't look like it needs much. If you aren't, before I would put it in service, I'd take the whole thing apart and re-seal all the joints. There are a lot of them...

Great find!

dj

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Is it missing the secondary air ring? From the picture of the firepot, it looks like it is missing.

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 7:14 pm

DJ,
I feel I could burn this now with no problem as is. Great eye, it is missing 3 things that I know. None of the 3 concerned me. I will begin to be on the lookout for these pieces. 1) The ring around the fire pot. 2) The exit elbow. 3) You could not see this in the photos, the exhaust exit does not have the grate there. What is this for, to contain large ash from a wood fire? As you said once about your stove, it looks much better than any photo. Great nickel, seems very tight. It is a big bast**d compared to what I am used to. It looks even bigger to me after I got it home.
Lobsterman

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Here is another pic of the inside.

Attachments

IMG_3626_2.JPG
.JPG | 162.3KB | IMG_3626_2.JPG

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 8:03 pm

lobsterman wrote:DJ,
I feel I could burn this now with no problem as is. Great eye, it is missing 3 things that I know. None of the 3 concerned me. I will begin to be on the lookout for these pieces. 1) The ring around the fire pot. 2) The exit elbow. 3) You could not see this in the photos, the exhaust exit does not have the grate there. What is this for, to contain large ash from a wood fire? As you said once about your stove, it looks much better than any photo. Great nickel, seems very tight. It is a big bast**d compared to what I am used to. It looks even bigger to me after I got it home.
Lobsterman
Lobsterman,

I don't have the grate over the exhaust either. I'm not sure what it does. Maybe it was an option? I think it must help coal or wood from dropping down into the back baffles. I can't see any other function. The back elbow is a non-issue. Nice to have, the original has a sort of manual "baro" in it. I never used it...

The ring around the firepot however, is another issue. It also helps keep the sheet metal in that region from burning out. I can't really tell from your photos if the ceramic liner goes high enough to cover this or not. Looks like maybe not... The second problem is that without it being in place, the air flow doesn't work quite right. Many years ago, before I had figured out how all the bits and parts went together, I didn't have my ring in place. I would get some smell of the fire while running the stove. Now that was when I was only running wood, don't know about coal. But I'd just feel safer closing up the holes without having that ring in place. Once I figured out the ring and got it in place, no more smell...

I'd go over the joints with a fine tooth comb. One spot that is problematic is the joint right on the back of the stove where the back base burner flat top plate bolts to the stove body. That seal breaks easily. I've had to re-do mine just about every year. Now, maybe that's just my particular stove, I don't know. But I know on mine that's a seal I have to stay on top of. I've actually toyed with ideas of how to improve the original design.

Just my 2 cents worth...

dj

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 8:11 pm

That secondary air ring is a critical part of the stove's design. I am sure that Doug at Barnstable or Emery at Antique Stove Hospital have these parts or have them made.
Dj:
To fix the joint where the exhaust manifold goes onto the back of the stove is easy. Next Summer get some thin, flat gasket that is wide enough to cover the joint. Cement the gasket on the back of the stove and then cement the exhaust manifold in place over the gasket, then put the bolts in. This makes a seal that will respond to the expansion and contraction at that spot and the seal should stay air tight until you take it apart again.

budster

Post by budster » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 9:33 pm

..sweet find..congrats.. 8-)

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 9:36 pm

DJ and William,
Thanks much, I am not in any rush to fire her up. I will go see Doug at Barnstable first about the ring.
Lobsterman

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”