The O'L Glenwood Just Keeps Goin

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 6:18 am

UPDATE:
well it has been a few months now since installing the old gal from 1899 and I am HAPPY TO REPORT...she just keeps pluggin along makin very nice even heat and I personally think I cannot put her out or kill the fire unless I would neglect her for 20+ hrs...I stick to a nightly shake and load at 6:00pm before work and another in the morning ..that time varies as to when I get home ...usually 7:00am/8:00am...keeping my status in the 1 match club is easy with this stove.
This Glenwood Oak is very easy to tend and maintain a fire in and I would NOT HESITATE to let anyone know that, I personally think the grate system in these old stoves are the best by FAR in desighn...triangular bar grates or prismatic whatever ya want to call em..THEY WORK GREAT! If you are looking for a stove that is EASY to tend the fire and get great heat output out of ...DO NOT HESITATE TO PURCHASE ONE!
If you are diligent and watch, these Old Stoves come up time to time and can be purchased for a GREAT PRICE.
I am runing "BOTH" a Baro and MPD draft control on this Relic from DAYS GONE BY ...and she just performs as nicely as a anything that could be thought of today.
I skinned out of work tonight when I hit my 40 hrs ...I am on salary so when I get a chance to get out I do because MOST times I give the owner way over 40! and walked into the shop with the temp at 70 and the Glenwood choked down for its overnight burn with its primaries open maybe a 1/8, MPD CLOSED all the way ...it is ZERO outside and my feet got a chill and Silver my Siberian Husky started to bark outside the shop ..he has to be cold to bark an let me know he wants in and is now layin out in front of the Glenwood gettin warmed up...I JUST OPENED THE PRIMARIES TO 1/2 OPEN ...half hr. later shop is a toasty 78...currently burning 40 lbs. or a 5 gallon bucket of Nut per day.
I am not SELLING THESE OLD ANTIQUES IN ANY WAY !...I AM JUST REPORTING REAL WORLD USE AND SATISFACTION...I am just spreading the word that there are alternate stoves out there.
I hope all ya Anthracite burners find these old stoves of interest.
Thanks,
Tim

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 6:30 am

That's awesome Tim. Glad to hear the Glenwood is keeping you warm. I love the look of the Glenwoods and if I had the room for a second stove would buy one myself.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 6:35 am

Sounds nice & toasty Tim & Silver sounds like a happy camper.Oh wait--"Toasty Tim"--I like it :lol: Later my friend :roll:

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the Glenwood.

I am still searching for the right stove and I may go with a Glenwood # 111.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Tim, always good to read your comments. What made you decide for the baro? For the MPD ok but the baro I don't know???
nortcan

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 10:06 pm

That,"real world use and satisfaction," is what sells these supurb stoves. They sell themselves.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 11:14 pm

nortcan,
My shop is located really close to a creek wich means we are low in the hollow and I get a good breeze rolling down the creek from the top of the hill most all the time and with the MPD shut and the wind I get the BARO just helps me have better control of the stove.
Tim

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Oh, I forgot to say that it is nice to have you as a neighbor on the corner of Coal Stove Easy Street and Glenwood Avenue. :D

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 3:16 am

Pretty good corner to be on Will...has great neighbors and a definate value!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 8:22 am

A question for the Glenwood Pro: when having only the back pipe option (Not B.B.), how do you cleane the base of the pipe syst.?
Thanks, nortcan
P/S Hope to live near you soon

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 8:59 am

nortcan wrote:A question for the Glenwood Pro: when having only the back pipe option (Not B.B.), how do you cleane the base of the pipe syst.?
Thanks, nortcan
P/S Hope to live near you soon
Nortcan,

Not 100% sure what you are asking, but I think you are asking about how to clean the pipes on stoves with the back pipe, but not the base circulation system with it's trap door on the bottom. I've never owned one of those, but from what I've seen looking at them, I think I'd take an industrial vacuum cleaner and just run the hose down the pipe having taken off the chimney connection at the top. Maybe Will knows more?

dj

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 9:36 am

dlj, yes it's what I meant (in my words). I was wondering if the 116 had a sort of clean out trap to have access to the bottom of U pipe to remove the fly ash. The B.B. have an access trap under the ash pan for inspection and cleaning so I was asking to myself how the 116 was done. Maybe we should do what you explain and take the flue pipe out and vac the ashes out.
nortcan

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 9:49 am

nortcan wrote:dlj, yes it's what I meant (in my words). I was wondering if the 116 had a sort of clean out trap to have access to the bottom of U pipe to remove the fly ash. The B.B. have an access trap under the ash pan for inspection and cleaning so I was asking to myself how the 116 was done. Maybe we should do what you explain and take the flue pipe out and vac the ashes out.
nortcan
Nortcan, I don't know these stove well enough. I don't remember seeing a bottom trap door but there may well be one I missed. Don't know if Will knows...

dj

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 2:26 am

nortcan,
to answer your ? ....at the bottom of the russian steel back tube there is a a cast iron "bowl" best word to describe it, the pipe sets in in this "bowl" and there is a trap door that opens for easy removal of flyash located at the very bottom rear of the "bowl"
Tim

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 11:13 am

Tim wrote:nortcan,
to answer your ? ....at the bottom of the russian steel back tube there is a a cast iron "bowl" best word to describe it, the pipe sets in in this "bowl" and there is a trap door that opens for easy removal of flyash located at the very bottom rear of the "bowl"
Tim
Very good Tim. Thanks
nortcan

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”