Baseheaters for Sale and Magazines

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 8:46 pm

If a magazine with a fixed length is used, the space at the bottom must be made to accomodate the desired size of coal to be used. Correct? In other words, can Nut and Stove sizes be used with the same measurement or an average between the two optimal sizes? I have never really given much thought to what goes into making a good, feeding magazine. Apparently there is a lot to it.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Dec. 20, 2010 3:23 am

I just had a sudden idea. The process of recreating a new magazine for the Glenwood would make a really NEAT documentary or series of videos. Just think of all the knowledge that would be gained and data about our stoves preserved. :idea:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 20, 2010 10:42 am

I think you would have to set up an experimental rig to determine the gap that facilitates easy flow of the coal. This is how I would start.

Perhaps a piece of smoke pipe of the desired diameter placed in a 5 gallon bucket. fill the pipe with the desired coal and then lift the filled pipe away from the bottom of the bucket until there is a large enough gap for the coal to flow. Mark the pipe location where it meets the top of the bucket. After emptying the coal you can then duplicate the position of the pipe and measure the gap at the bottom. I don't think the pipe has to be centered to work and would be easier to observe and mark if the pipe is against one side of the bucket. Anyway, a simple starting point.

To simulate the coal being consumed you can then cut out the bottom of the plastic bucket and with the pipe fastened to the side of the bucket and filled with coal and the whole thing resting on the floor slowly lift the whole thing and as the coal exits the bucket bottom it will simulate what happens as the coal is consumed by the fire and how the simulated magazine continues to feed. You then might have to alter the gap on the pipe to get optimal results. I think the gap should be slightly larger in the finished article to allow for a bit of mounding of the coal in the center of the fire pot assuming that the magazine is centered.

If you then have as the next project the installation of a thermostat to govern the air I think you would then truly have the best coal stove ever.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”