Glenwood and House Configuration Update

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 2:29 pm

After ripping out about an 18 foot section of wall between my kitchen and living room, about a 7 foot section of wall between kitchen and dining room, the Glenwood still heats the whole house. I was walking around with a stick of incense to watch the flow of heat in various parts of the house. The bedrooms that are located down a long hallway on the opposite end of the house from the stove - located in the living room - are still getting heat circulation from the stove. Still cooler than the main part of the house but quite comfortable, at least for us. Both my wife and I like a cool bedroom. The two girls? Well that's another story and they both have high efficiency individual space heaters for their rooms if they want to use them. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Now that I consider a major achievement!

Since it's still not too cold out - mornings have been around 28 F here - the Glenwood is just idling. My normal routine is to shake it down and fill it in the morning before I leave for work and in the evening sometime before going to bed. I was realizing I was hardly having to put any coal in it so I skipped the morning fill and didn't touch the stove until I got back from work. That was one of my long days so turns out the stove ran for 21 hours without being touched. House was still nice, fire was low, but still going well enough. I put in more coal and kept going. When it's really cold out, I wouldn't be able to do that. When it gets a lot colder, I'll find out how long it will last and post an update.

I would love to get a coal magazine for this stove and give myself much longer burn times! If anyone ever sees one or a picture of one, please post it!

Today I'm running my house about 73F inside. Just lovely... Couldn't do it if I was just using the fuel oil furnace (well, couldn't afford to do it...)

dj

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 3:51 pm

which glenwood do you have ? how much coal do you burn in 24 hours ? how many sq ft are you heating ?

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 4:56 pm

mason coal burner wrote:which glenwood do you have ? how much coal do you burn in 24 hours ? how many sq ft are you heating ?
I've got a Glenwood Base heater No. 6. It's the same stove William has. Take a look here:

Introduction to the Glenwood/2 Videos

On idle I'm probably burning 30 to 40 pounds of coal a day. Last winter in the coldest days I was maybe not quite double that. I'll see if the new configuration changes that at all, probably not. House is roughly 1600 sg. ft. - you just made me measure it..

House is pretty leaky. I've gotten most of the attic insulation done, but there are still a lot of windows that are pretty leaky. I usually plastic them off in the winter. I haven't done that yet this year. I might do it tomorrow, but more likely in a couple weeks. I also have to insulate the rim joint which is real bad right now, you can actually see outside in some spots... Real estate agents would call my house a "handy man special"... I had the attic insulation done but when I ripped out the walls, I had to rip out some of the insulation because I had to re-run some wiring. So I'll get those spots patched up soon also. I used spray foam insulation in my attic so ripping it out meant you can't just put it back down. I have to spray more foam back in the spots I ripped out. I'm still doing some wiring as I'm figuring out what I need for lights and such since the 18 foot center wall I ripped out had lights and outlets on it...

I'm wondering if when I get all the insulation finally done, if I can idle that Glenwood most of the winter. It sure throws out heat...

dj

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 7:00 pm

i also plastic windows . if I didn't my stove would not be able to heat house by itself . they make all the difference in the world . do you use anything to move the heat or just natural flow .

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Dj guess what?
I called Doug today at Barnstable and asked him if our stove had the option for a magazine. He said yes, but for some unknown reason a lot of people didn't order them with a magazine. He did say that he would find one for me and call me back.
So since you have a relationship with Emery at Antique Stove Hospital then maybe he can get one for you?

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 8:11 pm

how much $ . any idea how much coal they hold . still waiting on the shake down and reload videos .

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 8:22 pm

mason coal burner wrote:i also plastic windows . if I didn't my stove would not be able to heat house by itself . they make all the difference in the world . do you use anything to move the heat or just natural flow .
Yea, the windows in my family room are so bad I can't imagine not covering them in plastic in the winter. I have about 10 windows that really need to be changed.

I just use natural convection. No fans at all. It's pretty amazing how much air flow I can see in the hallway. If I take a stick of incense it pushes the smoke straight out from the stick. The bottom three feet have the colder air coming back towards the stove and top foot or two heading down the hallway. If I'm heating the place up there is a lot more air flow than once I get to temperature. But still very noticeable airflow.

dj

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 8:30 pm

i have 33 windows and 3 doors that need replacing . not happening any time soon . big bucks . will make do til then .

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 8:47 pm

mason coal burner wrote:how much $ . any idea how much coal they hold . still waiting on the shake down and reload videos .
wsherrick wrote:Dj guess what?
I called Doug today at Barnstable and asked him if our stove had the option for a magazine. He said yes, but for some unknown reason a lot of people didn't order them with a magazine. He did say that he would find one for me and call me back.
So since you have a relationship with Emery at Antique Stove Hospital then maybe he can get one for you?
William, Very cool, find out how much he wants for one. Maybe he can find two... I can call Emery and ask him if he has one and how much.

mason coal burner - Are you asking how much do these stoves cost? I don't know, I've had mine since I was about 12 years old. William bought his, maybe he has an idea of current prices. I seem to remember hearing in the neighborhood of $2800 for a restored one in good condition.

I'm guessing my stove - without the coal magazine - holds about 60 pounds of stove coal. It's kind of hard to know. The only time I'm filling it from 0 is when I start it in the fall. And then I build a rip roaring wood fire first so there's wood in it when I begin filling it with coal. I've never tried putting coal in it cold so I could measure that...

dj

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 8:55 pm

mason coal burner wrote:i have 33 windows and 3 doors that need replacing . not happening any time soon . big bucks . will make do til then .
Yea, I know what you mean. I've been working on mine little by little. I replaced the front and back door. They were both so bad I think my cat could have gone in and out with opening them, especially the back one. But those are done now. I've got about half the house done for the windows, still have the remaining ones... I buy my replacement windows from a supplier that deals with stuff the stores are getting rid of. End up costing about half price from new, but can't always get the sizes I need. And even at half price, they still aren't cheap for sure... The only problem is by the time I get them all done, I'll probably have to start again.. LOL

dj

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 9:51 pm

I didn't ask Doug about how much a magazine would cost. I'll wait until he calls me back and he will. It might be awhile because I told him he didn't have to hurry to find one since I just started back to work and have to play catch up for the next several months. I suspect a magazine would let you go at least 3 days between loadings depending on how hot the stove was running.
By the way, the capacity of a Glenwood No 6 is 60 to 70 pounds of coal, fully loaded. I never put more the 1&1/2 scuttles full when reloading since there is always several inches of coal still burning when it is reloaded.
Now I bet your Kitchen area is much warmer since you opened it up.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi dlj, if you can, I'd HIGHLY recommend using spray foam to seal and insulate your rim joists and sill plates. Packing in fiberglass insulation just doesn't seal out the cold air being drawn into the house through those air gaps you describe.. This cold air chills the floors above and keeps the basement cold.

I've used a lot of foam sealing and insulating my 'new' house rebuild of my old farm house. The DIY spray foam kits from either Tiger Foam or Green-it foam are easy to use, and they do a great job.

Greg L.
IMG_2874.JPG

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 10:14 pm

LsFarm wrote:Hi dlj, if you can, I'd HIGHLY recommend using spray foam to seal and insulate your rim joists and sill plates. Packing in fiberglass insulation just doesn't seal out the cold air being drawn into the house through those air gaps you describe.. This cold air chills the floors above and keeps the basement cold.

I've used a lot of foam sealing and insulating my 'new' house rebuild of my old farm house. The DIY spray foam kits from either Tiger Foam or Green-it foam are easy to use, and they do a great job.

Greg L.
IMG_2874.JPG
Greg,

Foam is the way to go for sure. All of the re-insulation I've done has been foam. Foam seals as well as insulates. Half the battle is sealing...

dj

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 10:31 pm

i did some more window sealing today . only have 2 left . I even did the side lite windows on my doors . stuffed insulation around wood stove pipe running into fireplace . instead of the temp. going down in my house as usual at night it is slowly climbing . 2 degrees and climbing .

RLB112

Post by RLB112 » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 8:42 am

does anyone know what kind of BTU's the glennwoods put out?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”