Firing up the Glenwood/Videos 3, 4 and 5

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 4:15 pm

stokerscot wrote:Hey William! Great videos! How much coal did you dump in at the end? You made it look real easy :)
Thanks for watching. Anyway, I dumped around 20-25 pounds of coal in at the end. At the draft setting I put it at, that 25 pounds will burn for 22-24 hours.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Very good video and nice presentation. How and where do you take the stove temperature?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 8:53 pm

nortcan wrote:Very good video and nice presentation. How and where do you take the stove temperature?
I have two magnetic thermometers. One is on the right side of the stove barrel just under the nickel cap ring at the top and the other is on the stove pipe where it enters the thimble. I'm glad you liked the videos and I hope they were instructive.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 8:58 pm

JB Sparks wrote:As usual, enjoyed the flick, you look pretty dapper in that derby William.
Thanks a lot JB. The hat as well as the clothes, even my glasses are all authentic turn of the century clothes. The hat is a prized possession. It has a red silk lining and it was imported from England, made in 1890.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Nov. 02, 2010 8:12 pm

SMITTY wrote:Great vids, love the costume too -- fits with the stove perfectly.

I thought you were getting ready to slam down a few shots of stumphole water there! I was saddened to learn that it was only kero ... :lol:
Thanks a lot Smitty. I had you in mind when I poured the double shot there. By the way I spent many years as a bartender. My specialty was Manhattans and Martinis. I used to shake em up by the dozens. :beer:

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Wed. Nov. 03, 2010 11:59 am

Wow! Those are great videos and a great looking stove. Do you you still have the stove with the sliding doors running in a fireplace? That was also a nice looking stove. They built some beautiful stoves back then.

Good videos for new people first starting with coal.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Nov. 04, 2010 5:11 pm

EasyRay wrote:Wow! Those are great videos and a great looking stove. Do you you still have the stove with the sliding doors running in a fireplace? That was also a nice looking stove. They built some beautiful stoves back then.

Good videos for new people first starting with coal.
Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, I still have the Stanley Argand. It is upstairs in the living room. It gets used during the Fall and Spring when I don't need the big Glenwood cranking out the heat. Stanley also gets lighted when the temps fall well below zero. The Glenwood can handle the most extreme cold, but; it is still nice to have a fire in the living room to sit next to during bitter weather.

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 9:00 am

Nice vids. I must say they are done rather well. Look forward to any vid you post. I have a turn of the centry baseburner in my garage. Wonder if I should try to heat the house with it and put the modern hopper fed in the garage.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 10:01 am

SemperFi wrote:Nice vids. I must say they are done rather well. Look forward to any vid you post. I have a turn of the centry baseburner in my garage. Wonder if I should try to heat the house with it and put the modern hopper fed in the garage.
SemperFi,

What's wrong with your hopper fed? I'd think a modern hopper fed stove would be darned good.... Before I switched, I'd make sure the old baseburner was all fixed up. Make sure all the joints are well sealed, no cracks in any of the castings, etc. With the baseburners, you have to look down in the base where the gases circulate, way in the back and make sure they are perfect there. That is where they tend to get cracks and that's a hard spot to fix. Last thing you want is a leaky baseburner in your house. If it were my house/stove, I'd probably tear apart the base burner and rebuild it redoing every single joint and making sure it was in tip top shape. So maybe you should think about a nice winter project....

Hey, I heat my whole house with a baseburner. I love it. It is also a completely restored baseburner....

dj

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 11:16 am

SemperFi wrote:Nice vids. I must say they are done rather well. Look forward to any vid you post. I have a turn of the centry baseburner in my garage. Wonder if I should try to heat the house with it and put the modern hopper fed in the garage.
What kind of baseburner is it? How large is it? You should make sure the base burner is completely tight. If it is not then it shouldn't be too hard to do the maintenance on it.

I can assure you that a top quality baseburner from the Turn Of The Century is a far better heating appliance than a modern box stove, hands down. The base burner will burn the coal more efficiently, radiate heat into your home much more efficiently. It will a lot easier to maintain a good fire in it, easier to shake the fire and be cleaner than a modern box stove. The caveat is that you must insure the base burner is in good condition.

Thanks for the compliments on the videos, I appreciate it.
Would you mind taking some pictures of your base burner and letting us see them? I can tell a lot about it from some good photos.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 11:53 am

Here is an important issue I would like to bring up. In the first video I used Kerosene to start the Charcoal burning. It is okay to do that on a COLD fire in a COLD stove.

NEVER and I mean NEVER put any flammable liquid on hot coals-in even a slightly warm stove-on warm ashes either. The warmth will evaporate the Kerosene or lighter fluid and VIOLENTLY FLASH OVER OR EXPLODE when a match flame is exposed to the fumes. Don't risk serious burns or injury or even worse by trying to take a shortcut with flammable liquids.
I would like everyone to be safe and sane with their stoves.

japar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hearthmate

Post by japar » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 7:52 pm

I just tried this method and it didn't work for me, maybe I missed some part of the vidio. I ended up with a mouthful of kero and no matter how much candy I eat I can still taste the kero.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”