Base Burner Stoves

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 1:20 am

JB Sparks wrote:OK, I think I got it. the base is a separate compartment under the ash pan area right? I took a closer look at your pics. The one that shows the base area has that baffle running fron the rear of the compartment to about 3/4 toward the front of the compartment right?
Yes, one baseheating tube comes off of the exhaust manifold, then down into the base of the stove under the ash pan where the exhaust is directed down into the base then makes a loop around the baffle, toward the front of the stove, then makes a 180 turn back to the rear then escapes out of the next tube which goes back up to the pipe collar then finally out to the stove pipe.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 1:36 am

Got it, thanks william.

Michel

Post by Michel » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 1:26 pm

One more question. Under what circumstances to you burn in base burner mode vs venting directly to the chimney?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 7:19 pm

you run the stove in base burner mode all the time except when you are starting a fire, cleaning the fire and adding coal. Once you have the fire established you put it in base burner mode. After that you don't have to touch it again for another 24 hours in warmer weather and never more than 12 hours if it is really cold. If your stove has a magazine in it then you only have to add coal once every 2 to 5 days depending on how hard you are running the stove.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Michel wrote:One more question. Under what circumstances to you burn in base burner mode vs venting directly to the chimney?
I usually flip the switch to direct venting when I'm charging the stove with more coal.

Once in awhile I will run it that way for a short time if I want to stoke up the fire really quickly, like if I've almost let it go out and I'm trying to save the fire. Then I may switch the valve and run direct vent. Also during start-up I use direct vent. Once the fire is going well though, switch to base burning mode and let it cook... You can actually feel the heat coming out of the base.

dj

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Thu. Sep. 16, 2010 7:32 pm

does anyone with a base burner have the magazine (hopper) ?

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Thu. Sep. 16, 2010 9:16 pm

mason coal burner wrote:does anyone with a base burner have the magazine (hopper) ?
Not me, wish I did. Or I wish I knew someone that had one so I could go look at it and then see about making one.

dj

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Sep. 17, 2010 3:03 pm

I've been meaning to call Emery and find out if the Glenwood Baseheaters had the option of a magazine. Since they are dual fuel I don't know for sure, but; I would think that if you wanted one you could order a Glenwood Baseheater with a magazine. Other competitors had them in their models of base heaters so Glenwood probably had them as an option as well.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Sep. 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Here is a picture of the "BaseBurner" design I came across.

Pardon the Riteway :?
ritewayexample.jpg
.JPG | 37.4KB | ritewayexample.jpg

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Sep. 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Our base burners went straight up, and out. We used manual dampers. The cook stove, as well as the vermont castings stove had a different path for gasses to follow. Base burners were dubbed "Base burners" because the base (grates, firepot, etc) were cast iron. The rest of the stove is tin. The loading door, and top were cast iron, all bolted on to a tin body. The main upper body of the stove was nothing more than tin. Basicly, the functioning part (the heart of the stove was in the base.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Sep. 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Here is an advertisment for the Oakvale Andes. This is the base heater 1904 model that was sold by the Andes Stove and Range Co of Geneva, New York. It should clear up any confusion about the definition of a base burner or base heater.

Attachments

3826920.jpg

Description of Andes Base Heater

.JPG | 157KB | 3826920.jpg
3826924.jpg

Andes Base Heater

.JPG | 105.6KB | 3826924.jpg
3826922.jpg

Description Of Andes Baseheater

.JPG | 137.8KB | 3826922.jpg
3826926.jpg

Andes Base Heater with Circulating Option

.JPG | 103.5KB | 3826926.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Sep. 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi wisherrick, nice info. on the Oakvale. I was pleased to read this : The fire pot is straighter on its sides... When I modified my Vig.2, I did care about removing all horizontal places where ash buildup and cause problems. I think all anthracite stoves should respect that simple desing for the fire pot as described on your Oakvale infos.These old stoves makers were ahead of their time. Is Vig.2 a sort of copy of a base burner according to you?
With Glenwood or other baseburners, do you need a special chimney or a much stronger draft?
Thanks

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Sep. 24, 2010 7:47 pm

nortcan wrote:Hi wisherrick, nice info. on the Oakvale. I was pleased to read this : The fire pot is straighter on its sides... When I modified my Vig.2, I did care about removing all horizontal places where ash buildup and cause problems. I think all anthracite stoves should respect that simple desing for the fire pot as described on your Oakvale infos.These old stoves makers were ahead of their time. Is Vig.2 a sort of copy of a base burner according to you?
With Glenwood or other baseburners, do you need a special chimney or a much stronger draft?
Thanks
Hi Nortcan,
Glad to hear from you. It's not that the old stove makers were ahead of their time, it's really we are way behind them when it comes to this stuff. I don't think you need a special chimney or an extra strong draft for a Base Burner, a good chimney with a good draft would be all that is needed.

Kalindi

Post by Kalindi » Fri. May. 04, 2012 11:00 am

Hi,

This is Doug of Kalindi and Doug. After researching this site and examining my Acorn 215, I have created a diagram of the air flow for a base burner stove in both start-up and base burning modes. Please let me know if there are any correction that I need to make.

Doug

Attachments

Base Burner-Model.jpg
.JPG | 93.1KB | Base Burner-Model.jpg

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. May. 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Very nice. That is an excellent diagram. Thanks for doing it.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”