Fuller and Warren Stove

Body Hammer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petit Godin oval

Post by Body Hammer » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 9:41 am

Steve, I've been by the Love barn a million times in my life, and never realized he sold stoves! I'm camping at Hadleys next weekend. I'll have to stop and take a look. Thanks for the info.
Charlie

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 11:52 am

Charlie,

Yep he's in Orland between Buckport and Ellsworth. Coming from Bucksport he's on the right just before that gas station/convenience store on the left. Mark's a good guy and knows his stuff. Stop by and check out what he's got. He's got some great cookstoves including a Fortress Crawfold. Excellent for coal or wood depending on the grates you put in it. He's also got a Glenwood C just like mine the last time I was there. Got some parlor stoves too. Think allot are wood but ya never know?

andypanda929

Post by andypanda929 » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 12:07 pm

I tried posting this a few days ago, but I guess that I did something wrong. I own a Kitchen Range that was made by Fuller and Warren Co. that was located in Troy, NY. It was my parents stove and the name of it is "Superb Stewart." Fuller and Warren Co. was one of the largest stove manufacturers in the United States in the late 1800's. The company actually started in the early 1800's. The City of Troy was probably one of the largest stove manufacturing cities in the country in the 1800's. The Stove Companies would haul coal up the Hudson river by barge to Troy to be used to operate their foundries.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 3:07 pm

That's right. Anyplace that had a navigable river was game. Same as Taunton, Mass where my Glenwood and Herald where made (right next door to each other). Coal, and pig iron shipped in. Cast durables shipped out.

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Wed. Nov. 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Troy and Albany had some real advantages. They had lots of limestone, they had easy access to coal and iron ore, they had the erie canal for shipping, and they had prisoners for labor. Prison labor was a big factor in those days.

Panzer77

Post by Panzer77 » Fri. Dec. 09, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm glad I found this thread. I have not been able to locate much information regarding old Fuller & Warren stoves. I just recently picked up a Stewart Hot Blast Oak No. 112 in very good condition. I love how ornate this old stove is and was luck to find one in such good shape. I hope someone here my know of where I might locate the finial as mine is missing. Yes that's a candle in side (have not had a chance to run pipe yet).

Attachments

stove2.jpg
.JPG | 37.3KB | stove2.jpg
Stove.jpg
.JPG | 100.7KB | Stove.jpg

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Dec. 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Panzer77 wrote:I'm glad I found this thread. I have not been able to locate much information regarding old Fuller & Warren stoves. I just recently picked up a Stewart Hot Blast Oak No. 112 in very good condition. I love how ornate this old stove is and was luck to find one in such good shape. I hope someone here my know of where I might locate the finial as mine is missing. Yes that's a candle in side (have not had a chance to run pipe yet).
I've never seen a Stewart Oak Hot Blast. I'm sure it is similiar in design to the Florence, Globe and other hot blast stoves. It is very attractive and the nickel will be beautiful once you get it shined up. Getting the correct finial for the stove will be very difficult. What you should do is get one that looks nice and put it on there until you can find the right one. These stoves need their finial.
One thing about your stove. It is a heat making machine. These stoves are very efficient and advanced in concept. They are designed to burn Bituminous coal in a much more efficient manner than a typical Oak Stove. They provide super heated secondary air over the top of the fire pot to ignite the volatile gasses produced by soft coal. That's why it is called a, "hot blast," stove. Anthracite will burn very well in these stoves as well. If your stove is complete it should have an iron ring around the top of the fire pot with little holes in it. This is where the secondary air is admitted over the fire.
If I was in a region that had Bituminous Coal rather than Anthracite, this is the design of stove that I would choose to heat my home. I wouldn't settle for less.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Very nice stove Panzer. Keep on sending infos.

Panzer77

Post by Panzer77 » Tue. Dec. 13, 2011 4:53 pm

wsherrick, Thanks for the great information. Your explanation of the hot blast was spot on and see the iron ring your talking about. I have read that some of these stoves required some type of clay liner in the fire box. Is this the case with the hots blast stoves? The stove I have is in great shape and I don't see any evidence of a clay liner or such in the fire box. The grate and ash bin are also present. The nickel is in pretty good shape with only minor ware. I've considered have it re-plated but to be honest if I re-plated and painted then it would loose all its character and patina. Thanks again for the info.
wsherrick wrote:
Panzer77 wrote:I'm glad I found this thread. I have not been able to locate much information regarding old Fuller & Warren stoves. I just recently picked up a Stewart Hot Blast Oak No. 112 in very good condition. I love how ornate this old stove is and was luck to find one in such good shape. I hope someone here my know of where I might locate the finial as mine is missing. Yes that's a candle in side (have not had a chance to run pipe yet).
I've never seen a Stewart Oak Hot Blast. I'm sure it is similiar in design to the Florence, Globe and other hot blast stoves. It is very attractive and the nickel will be beautiful once you get it shined up. Getting the correct finial for the stove will be very difficult. What you should do is get one that looks nice and put it on there until you can find the right one. These stoves need their finial.
One thing about your stove. It is a heat making machine. These stoves are very efficient and advanced in concept. They are designed to burn Bituminous coal in a much more efficient manner than a typical Oak Stove. They provide super heated secondary air over the top of the fire pot to ignite the volatile gasses produced by soft coal. That's why it is called a, "hot blast," stove. Anthracite will burn very well in these stoves as well. If your stove is complete it should have an iron ring around the top of the fire pot with little holes in it. This is where the secondary air is admitted over the fire.
If I was in a region that had Bituminous Coal rather than Anthracite, this is the design of stove that I would choose to heat my home. I wouldn't settle for less.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Dec. 13, 2011 5:54 pm

You should line the fire pot with a refractory liner. It is very easy and simple to do. You need to get some Castable Refractory Cement and follow the instructions. Your fire pot will then be protected from cracking or burning out from direct contact with the fire. The coal will also burn better because the Cement keeps the heat in the fire leading to better combustion.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”