Got the Glenwood Base Burner Installed & Tested Last Night

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Oct. 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Hey whats the bottom picture of? The one with the round plate with the holes on top and the slots. I don't recognize that piece. What kind of coal are you burning?

dj

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Oct. 25, 2009 11:25 pm

That is the wood burning grate, It fits on top of the coal grates if you have to burn wood. There are pictures after that one can you see those too? Oh, this stove takes nut coal. You can burn pea size in it too I guess. Pea size would be the absolute smallest size you can put in it. I was told nut is the proper size.

dlj

Post by dlj » Sun. Oct. 25, 2009 11:36 pm

wsherrick wrote:That is the wood burning grate, It fits on top of the coal grates if you have to burn wood. There are pictures after that one can you see those too? Oh, this stove takes nut coal. You can burn pea size in it too I guess. Pea size would be the absolute smallest size you can put in it. I was told nut is the proper size.
Oh, I never had that part in my baseburner. I burned wood right on top of the coal grates. I was told nut or stove coal. I don't know about the pea. Seems pretty small to me. But I guess it might work. Thanks for the info. Oh yea, I guess I saw the photos as you were posting, now I can see them all...

dj

ggans2

Post by ggans2 » Sun. Oct. 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Maybe you could take some photos of the inside grate and also with a fire going, that would be cool.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Oct. 30, 2009 12:26 am

I have a question for you combustion and furnace engineers out there. I bought two magnetic thermometers to test how well the Glenwood is doing. I put one of the thermometers on the stove barrel near the top and the other one on the pipe where it enters the flue thimble. I had the stove half full of coal (about 25 pounds) and it was burning well. The dampers were open about say about 1/4 of their max and I had the stove in base burner mode.
The results were that the temperature on the stove barrel was around 520 degrees and the temperature at the pipe near the thimble was around 170 degrees. Off the cuff I would say that was a fairly efficient performance. I haven't had time to experiment with it yet. I just stuck on the thermometers to see what they read.
What say you guys :?:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Oct. 30, 2009 2:27 pm

ggans2 wrote:Very nice,I have never seen a baseburner like that .
well here you go check out these sites alot of very nice Baseburner Parlor Cylinder Pot belly Column stoves which are really nice and some box style stoves . Oh and kitchen stoves enjoy

http://www.barnstablestove.com/html/stoves.htm

http://www.goodtimestove.com/antique_heating_stoves.html

http://bryantstove.com/

http://stovehospital.com/

ggans2

Post by ggans2 » Fri. Oct. 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks, I would have to leave my wallet home before I could visit a place like that. I would want to buy them all...

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Oct. 30, 2009 2:49 pm

ggans2 wrote:Thanks, I would have to leave my wallet home before I could visit a place like that. I would want to buy them all...
Yep one of each need a big pole building to collect one of each from every Co. that made them

ggans2

Post by ggans2 » Fri. Oct. 30, 2009 3:18 pm

There was this Opera stove on ebay last week, it was so cool but never sold. All they wanted for a buy it now price was 2500- I could not believe it!

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Oct. 31, 2009 10:25 pm

wsherrick wrote:I have a question for you combustion and furnace engineers out there. I bought two magnetic thermometers to test how well the Glenwood is doing. I put one of the thermometers on the stove barrel near the top and the other one on the pipe where it enters the flue thimble. I had the stove half full of coal (about 25 pounds) and it was burning well. The dampers were open about say about 1/4 of their max and I had the stove in base burner mode.
The results were that the temperature on the stove barrel was around 520 degrees and the temperature at the pipe near the thimble was around 170 degrees. Off the cuff I would say that was a fairly efficient performance. I haven't had time to experiment with it yet. I just stuck on the thermometers to see what they read.
What say you guys :?:
I was hoping to see someone post an answer to this question. I'm sure there are some good ways to approximate the efficiency with small amount of data. The only thing I've seen is pretty complicated. I'm attaching an image of an example calculation page....

dj

Attachments

efficiency_calculation.jpg
.JPG | 151.6KB | efficiency_calculation.jpg

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 7:43 am

Hopefully somebody will be kind enough to answer the question. Another thing this stove does is that it holds the fire until ALL the coal is totally burnt up. No half burned chunks here. The only thing that comes out when you shake the grates is a fine ash. So far I only have to shake it once a day and the ash pan is large enough that it will hold a couple of days worth of ash. This stove kicks major behind, this might be one of the smartest purchases I have ever made.

RMA

Post by RMA » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 8:04 am

wsherrick wrote:Hopefully somebody will be kind enough to answer the question. Another thing this stove does is that it holds the fire until ALL the coal is totally burnt up. No half burned chunks here. The only thing that comes out when you shake the grates is a fine ash. So far I only have to shake it once a day and the ash pan is large enough that it will hold a couple of days worth of ash. This stove kicks major behind, this might be one of the smartest purchases I have ever made.
That's a great looking stove!
It reminds me of the only coal stove, to this date, that I ever fired. That was the stove in our Boy Scout Troop's cabin about a half-century ago.
It sure is a far cry from today's black boxes...

Bob

ggans2

Post by ggans2 » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 9:00 am

coal berner wrote:
ggans2 wrote:Thanks, I would have to leave my wallet home before I could visit a place like that. I would want to buy them all...
Yep one of each need a big pole building to collect one of each from every Co. that made them
Have you ever looked at an old sears catalog? All those great stoves, the really nice ones were very expensive at five to seven dollars each.. :)

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 10:51 am

And you only have a #6...
They had a #8 hooked up and running at Barnstable Stove at one point...
I like the Glenwood...
Has some pretty stuff but not too fancy...
It does what it is designed to do...
Burn coal efficiently...
To get a scientific degree of accuracy you need a lab controlled environment...
Off the cuff you have said it yourself...
No unburned coal and a cool outlet pipe...

dlj

Post by dlj » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 12:51 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:And you only have a #6...
They had a #8 hooked up and running at Barnstable Stove at one point...
I like the Glenwood...
Has some pretty stuff but not too fancy...
It does what it is designed to do...
Burn coal efficiently...
To get a scientific degree of accuracy you need a lab controlled environment...
Off the cuff you have said it yourself...
No unburned coal and a cool outlet pipe...
CapeCoaler: I agree there's "off the cuff" it runs real well... But there must be another way that is not too complicated. I keep thinking of the service tech that comes to service my oil furnace. He has a hand-held device that has a probe that goes into the chimney, I don't know if there is another probe or not, I don't think so. He runs the furnace and then tells me the efficiency my furnace is running at. I'm sure he's only looking at combustion efficiency, but at least that's a good starting point.

Isn't there something like that for a coal furnace?

dj

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”