GW#6 T minus 11 and counting

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Interesting. My #6 and both of my GW 118 Modern Oaks, the primary spinners are not progressive. It's just the #6 has a sloppy fit of one of the spinner shafts. I can make it sorta progressive by pushing it off center.

On my range, I filed the end two slots of the five primary slider openings to be progressive. That made slow running easier to adjust.

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Nov. 29, 2020 5:11 pm

My left to right sliders are progressive right to left.

The right to left sliders are opposite, left to right progressive.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 29, 2020 5:18 pm

My spinner axles and springs have no lateral movement or slop.

Maybe this is a years of production feature
I have no idea what year mine was produced or if all the doors etc are original to it

I’m not even sure anyone can be certain of that with models that were so popular and made in such high numbers

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Nov. 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Edit per sliders pre 1900 progressive.

1900 an newer standard gap.

Some load doors,ash doors,swingtops and fire boxes are opposite hand. Doesn't mean its wrong.

It's not shooting irons or golf clubs.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Nov. 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Arrrg, careful what you ask for indeed

Yesterday we had 50 degrees measured and today it’s 34 with 20 mph winds and of course I’m outside at work like every other day
:o :|
Not nice Mother Nature

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Dec. 01, 2020 5:06 pm

So all day yesterday, overnight and so far today with this 32-35 OAT with constant 20 mph wind

70 degree being maintained, stove hot spot is currently 572 flue 108. Very nice

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 10:26 am

What is the hot spot when the wind is calm with those same OAT's? I imagine it's some cooler.

Twenty mph winds I imagine that big tall chimney is cranking along, only thing holding it back being the stove settings.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 9:41 am

ill see if I can remember to find out for you when I get home from work at 12:30, might be interesting.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Bill, same OAT same IAT same settings 9 mph wind

572 on the fire pot ( which IS the hot spot on this stove ) 98 on the pipe just outside the thimble

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 1:00 pm

I guess the telling variable here is that the Mano is steady at .01 and before it was jolting back and forth from .02 to .04 so the flue was getting more heat along with more volume of flow

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Oops hadn’t noticed Lorna has one window up and two down open an inch

Wouldn’t change the way the stove is running but it does moderate the IAT

With the way the OAT is going from mid 30’s days to mid / low 20’s at night I find it easiest just to leave the stove set for low cruise and use a window if it feels warm. Also keeps the humidity favorable in here

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 10, 2020 11:11 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 12:43 pm
Bill, same OAT same IAT same settings 9 mph wind

572 on the fire pot ( which IS the hot spot on this stove ) 98 on the pipe just outside the thimble
Very interesting numbers. I expected the stove temp to go down as well, but nope. Just the pipe temp from less draft from less wind pulling on the chimney. Stove temp the same, pipe is cooler by 10 degrees. Yep...interesting. I wonder...did you record manometer readings for the high and low winds? I may have missed it. Would be interesting to see the numbers. The pipe temp is an indicator if I’m reading the situation correctly. I think you have a keeper.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 11:44 am

there's a lot of things yu can do with this stove.

last couple days have been 50+ with wind under 5 so I've been on 2 slivers of primary, showing -.01 on mano using 10#'s every 12 hours. can't even see fire but the outside of the pot is warm enough to sense a convection current across the room.

this stove is more than happy with -.01 being the ceiling for draft and will run just fine forever I think at -.0025

the draft setting is like the final drive ratios. creeper range, low road range and high road range

the primaries are the gears.

you can run -.01 or less and open the primaries from slits to full open and have a range of effects

go to -.02 and use the same range of primary.

then go to -03 and beyond and do the same thing.

over the top of it all is the infinite variable of the secondaries.

right now we are using deep low ( under 1st gear ) in creep range, it's going to be a slow boring winter.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 5:53 pm

So that I am following you...your draft is set by your mpd? I noticed you’re not running it with the elbow that has the check in it. Are those two assumptions correct?

Obviously your primary’s are below the pot and your secondaries are the holes under the load door and the spinner on the load door, or top load door...I forget...but there’s a spinner on one of those doors.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Right now it is 46 oat and no wind the the stove is running on slits, base mode, that setting shows -.03 on the Mano

If I have the mpd’s open and go into indirect mode it goes to -.045

If I go back to base mode and close one mpd it goes to -.02, if I close the second mpd it goes to -.01, if I open the secondary spinner on the load door all the way it goes to -.0015

I’m not using the cast elbow with the check in it. Just goes against my grain, no opening in the smoke pipe between the stove and thimble for me thank you.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”