circulator stoves

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. May. 21, 2020 2:47 pm

I see a number of old circulator stoves for sale regularly.

Is the idea of a circulator to dress up the iron stove?
Moores 1936.JPG
.JPG | 161.5KB | Moores 1936.JPG
All of the ones I see listed are brown. Why only brown?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. May. 21, 2020 3:12 pm

while it does "dress up" an otherwise furnace style iron stove the idea was and is to promote a strong convection 'loop" o fair being drawn to the stove at the floor level and passing up between the cabinet and the "inner' stove and being directed out to top to return at the bottom again in a circular loop in addition to just radiant heat.

that Moore's #17 was one of the more powerful units of it's size and type.

while the cabinets of these stoves can be straightened out and painted or powder coated to freshen them up the internals, grates etc. and the casting of the main stove are critical. you can maybe repair some of it or have recasts made of pieces that are cracked but otherwise in good shape.

there are more than a few guys here that have bought stoves I said no way about and did amazing work to restore them to operable condition. if you are skilled or know people who are you might too.

the best way is to get many close detailed pictures esp. of damage and summit them here for advise.

best of luck,
steve

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. May. 22, 2020 8:30 am

I read on thread "1929 Orbon Tileona Circulator...Keeping It Nice!", where he mentions "some old newspaper ads from the 1920's, in frames, showing circulating heaters, in the description of the ad it states how the outside never gets hot...child safe". Perhaps that is one of the features.

So what about the Moore's Brothers Air Tight heaters, are they considered circulators? From the pictures I have seen they have an internal stove and the outer iron cage seems to be like a circulator, but there is gaps throughout so I cannot see it creating a loop effect.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 22, 2020 8:59 am

Anything hotter than the air around it will create a loop affect of natural convection. As the air is heated it becomes lighter and heavier, cooler air pushes in under the warm air to lift it up. So no matter if there is a grill, a closed covering, or no covering, the air will naturally circulate. How much depends on how hot the air is near the stove.

Since the outer covering of circulator stoves acts the same as heat shields, it affects how much radiated heat hits objects near the stove. So a circulator type stove should be somewhat safer near combatable materials.

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. May. 26, 2020 9:29 am

00i0i_2QehCE5IEWs_0Ba0rS_600x450.jpg
.JPG | 56.5KB | 00i0i_2QehCE5IEWs_0Ba0rS_600x450.jpg
saw this one, https://cleveland.craigslist.org/atq/d/cleveland- ... 61685.html

Would the manufacturer have offered a color scheme like this?
or probably a previous owner repainted some of the parts?

Thats a rather old time stamp on the photos, but I am guessing their camera has been sitting in a drawer somewhere without power that the settings defaulted to 2004.01.01

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”