Coldest my stoves have probably seen in 50 years

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Well the 1890s parlor stove and the 1920s cookstove are getting one heck of a work out... Minus 6 with wind chills of minus 20 to 30... The house is holding at 70 with both stove running with drafts 1/3 open... we ate about 50 or 60 pounds coal in last 36 hours... I had some monster blue ladies after I stoked it back up earlier!!! THIS IS THE TIME IM GRATEFUL THE PARLOR STOVE HAS A MAGAZINE!!!!
Definitely an interesting year to try and get a feel for a new stove!!!!

Attachments

20190130_063917.jpg
.JPG | 138KB | 20190130_063917.jpg

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 12:28 pm

I agree it is quite brisk out there. Where abouts are you located as we have similar temps here in NY

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 4:20 pm

-17 and -37 wind chill has been the roughest of it here. started giving FRANK an extra 20 #'s a day. have been going thru 60 #'s a day for 2 night s and 2 days so far.

we are at -2 and -11 wind chill currently and very comfortable. at -17 FRANK was holding a 87* differential with the house 70* down stairs and 75* at the upper landing.

COAL, it's what's for winter.

Donb
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Coal Size/Type: Nut in both
Other Heating: Propain

Post by Donb » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 5:08 pm

The Chappee and the WM 414 are keeping the house very warm, about 78 in all rooms. The Chappee is using about 80#/day, the WM about 25#/day.

Have to say though...the increased air going through the Chappee to keep the baseboard water at 180 is sure making some champion size clinkers! For me anyway.
Don

Attachments

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Had old mercury thermometer hanging out on the porch... it was colder than it would read.

Now you have to consider I live in SW Ohio about 20 miles south of I-70 which is a transition line for us. Most often the worst weather is a few miles south of I-70 ... most often a few miles north...this time it was 20 miles south.

You have to consider I live in a valley that's sits several hundred feet lower than the surrounding farm lands on each side of the long valley...and I live in what you might call a feeder creek of the side of that valley...and I have a large hill to my north, my south, and much larger hill to my west.

Considering my thermometer wouldn't read how cold it was I decided to use my I.R. Gun on my garage door across the breezeway ... -17 and the truck fender out in the driveway was -26 ... both out of the wind on the east side of either, wind coming from the west. Have no idea what the wind chill was, and not sure, but I don't think the gun reads wind chill.

Thanks to some good dry wood my much too large wood stove was idling at 400* stove top temps ... house 72*-85* ... which ever I decide. Thankfully, I had well more than enough stove left, even for those temps and thankfully I could use the stove this winter. A choice to move to anthracite is certainly coming. Already tired of worrying about creosote issues, not that I have any, but the worry is still there ... worrying about wet wood out in the weather, tarps blowing off, and improperly seasoned wood. However, thank God for good radiant heat ... absolutely nothing like it ... tired of freezing with fuel oil and emptying my pockets because of fuel oil. I declare, NO MORE!

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 8:19 am

Donb wrote:
Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 5:08 pm
The Chappee and the WM 414 are keeping the house very warm, about 78 in all rooms. The Chappee is using about 80#/day, the WM about 25#/day.

Have to say though...the increased air going through the Chappee to keep the baseboard water at 180 is sure making some champion size clinkers! For me anyway.
Don
That's not a clinker...that is a clunker! :D
Randy

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”