Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 10:47 am

If ash or a bird or a mouse fell down the chimney in bake mode or open, where would it go? No rush on this one.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 11:30 am

Stove running, or off-season no fire ?

I don't think mice would like nesting in a stove that is dusty with ash.

If it's while the stove is running, critters getting in would be very rare because the exhaust is not only hot, it's tough for small critters to breath.

But, if a bird sat on the edge of the chimney top to keep warm and it became overcome by exhaust and fell in, then it would most likely be dead in the bottom of the chimney. Had that happen a few times with my first coal stove, because I didn't have a weather cap on the chimney.

If, the stove is out and somehow it made it into the stove pipe and the MPD was left open, it's conceivable that it could get down into the stove, but I've yet to have that happen.

I have a large old maple tree next to the back of the house near the kitchen chimney. I've had squirrels build nests up in the chimney in the fall nest-building season if the stove is out - even if only for a few days. A few minutes jamming a chimney brush up into the nest pulls it down to the cleanout door where I can remove it all.

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 5:20 pm

If you remember Paul, I had a couple bird incidents with my Surdiac, where not only did it fly down my chimney, it went past the open MPD, into the heat exchanger, through one of the ports on either side, feeding into the combustion chamber, where he flew around trapped inside. Ist time it happened, had a heck of a time getting it out of the house. The second time, learned how to lead it into the open frt door. Not fun for either of us. It was off season, no fire. Always need to keep up on the chicken wire wrapped around the chimney cap. The little buggers will continally peck at it, till they make a hole. PITA.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 8:53 am

I missed that one, Joe.

But, I can imagine the "excitement" of a visit from nature. :D

Was at a friend's house watching TV with his family, when a black squirrel emerged from a cloud of dust that fell down into the unlit fireplace. The terrified squirrel started racing around the living room, with the family dog and my buddy and I chasing it. Finally, after a half hour of that circus we got it to go out the front door.

By the time squirrel left, it was gray again and the furniture was streaked with greasy, black soot because his father burned big chunks of canal coal in the fireplace. :o

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Funny stuff. Had a bird in wood stove a couple of times over 30 years, but I'm thinking of the range that I'm not sure where a thing would wind up or if it would be easy to get at. When I have some time I need to look at your stove parts area in cookin' with coal. I was looking for something else last time I was there. Oh my goodness. Now I have to google canal coal but the visual is hilarious.
Chicken wire is a good idea, and that was sweet of you to go to the trouble to lead the bird out the front door. Your better half does indeed have you well gentled.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Canal coal is a soft coal with a lot of oil in it. It will burn slowly in a fireplace with big yellow flames like wood, but with lots of black, smelly, smoke.

If the stove is out, it's remotely possible a small critter could get past a left-open MPD, then into the oven flues and all the way to the firebox.

But, if the stove is running, any critter that got into the chimney would be dead from heat and asphyxiation long before it could get as far as the range.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Ohhhhh. I thought because of the bake mode no damper was needed. I had picked one up but thought maybe it was unnecessary. I should put it in then? Phooey. Not that it is that much trouble I suppose.... I can't believe I ran what is now nicknamed the M16 without one.

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 4:44 pm

An old - well , a neighbour who was born in '42 came over to look at the stove. He is the one who found me the lid lifter in the barn last year. He said his mother was always cooking, although she was burning wood, and their stove had a water reservoir but it was copper and attached to the stove and there was a sink and a small counter beside the stove and they ladled water out to wash their hands even though there was a little tap, and she bathed the younger children in a tub close by with that water too. He said he used to take about 7 doughnuts and stuff them in his pockets when she wasn't looking and go and eat them in the barn and if it was really cold out she left the oven door open for heat, and sometimes one of them would pass by and shut it and she didn't like that.
And his uncle still has a tall white stove with the warming cupboards, in a town about ten minutes from here, and he remembers that his aunt wanted it and his uncle said it was too expensive but she got it in the end. And, he remembers when he came home from school and saw scrappers trying to smash the castings of his neighbour's stove, and he said, "Mrs. Durocher!!!What are you doing?!!" and he put his hands to his head as he remembered, and she told him that she had a new electric stove and there was no room in the kitchen. He said his mother shook her head when she heard and said the woman had polished it every day. And he looked at my lids and said HIS mother put the one that comes apart over the firebox(and he moved it)and that she could boil water for coffee fast that way and sometimes she put it at the back with a big pot but he couldn't remember why. And he said she always kept an eye on the heat indicator on the front and she would lift a lid or do whatever was necessary to keep the oven as she liked it. And, he said coal was bought in Dalhousie (Quebec border)and that the big church was heated that way and that he was a choir boy and helped shovel the coal and there was a room in the church just with straw in it and if people travelling needed to sleep somewhere they could sleep there but no furniture or anything and the nuns would feed them. And he said people used these stoves into the sixties here, although when he was past ten people started switching.
Ah well, I'm hoping he'll ask his sister for his mother's recipes, and I'll be looking on line for the Woodstove Cookery At Home on the Range book, although the range cooks everything modern, like - -oh!!!!! Brownies. It made the surface of the brownies perfect and cracked as they should be but have never had before. Haven't had much time to cook yet but this weekend I hope, and I found the oven rack that came with it finally, that I had put somewhere and that will help although we did pretty well just sitting things on the floor of the oven.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 5:43 pm

My goodness Jen, I'm guessing you're a good typist. With that very interesting novel you just wrote, would've taken my single digit plucking fingers till the cows came home, to get all that out. Nice job, and good story. Is that white stove still available? Maybe I can slowly get the wife interested...in my retirement years...which I can't afford to do. :(

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Wren wrote:
Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 4:00 pm
Ohhhhh. I thought because of the bake mode no damper was needed. I had picked one up but thought maybe it was unnecessary. I should put it in then? Phooey. Not that it is that much trouble I suppose.... I can't believe I ran what is now nicknamed the M16 without one.

Nope, the MPD helps slow down the exhaust so it can "hold the heat in" and raise the oven temps without burning up more coal to create more heat volume.

Even the old instructions for ranges say that if your oven isn't getting hot enough you may need to close the pipe damper a bit more.

Higher velocity exhaust tends to move away from those long oven flue walls to the center area where resistance to flow is less. ;)

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Oh Joeq, if you do away with things like paragraphs, sentence structure, and other grammatical rules, you will find that you can fill pages!

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Maybe, but just since I wrote this simple sentence, I already need to shave. :baby:
(My fingers hurt)

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Haha ha.
I just love hearing the old stories and couldn't help myself but actually I did take a typing course after my youngest showed me the hand positions when they got it at school in grade one about.
Aaaand...I am so amazed that the range keeps on ticking on twenny pounds for spook long, maybe I should look at base heaters again, which I have learned over the last year are NOT heaters that sit on a base.

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 6:11 pm

I think what I like best about the range is the space. Plenty of space for vegetables and sauces and everything.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 6:23 pm

How 'bout a turkey? Can you get one in the oven too?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”