First Fire

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 8:05 am

jthorell wrote:
Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 2:38 pm
I tried cracking windows and doors. Still did not get a good draw on a hot fire when in base burner mode.

I will get this thing apart tonight and see if there is a blinding flash of the obvious inside. Perhaps a crack or un cemented portion.
The bad thing about a masonry chimney is it takes a lot of heat and time to get em warm. The good thing about them is, once warm, they like to stay warm.

SO, my guesses remain the same...either you are not putting enough heat in the chimney OR the chimney cannot draw due to an obstruction somewhere (either in the stove or the chimney).

If you had the mother of all leaks and if you had heat in the chimney...you would most likely hear it.

I have opened up my check damper wide open on startup/reload just to see the ladies dancing past my elbow and there is no short term difference in operation.

When you do your inspection, verify there is no blockage in the passage way below the ash pan all the way up to the thimble. Verify the BB damper is functioning correctly. If it all checks out....it's gotta run with heat in the chimney.

Pics would be VERY helpful as well as a detailed description of your startup procedure.
Also, a thermometer on the barrel and on the stack would help immensely.

jthorell
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren "Splendid"
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite
Other Heating: Forced air propane

Post by jthorell » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Again I thank everyone for all the advice. Your knowledge humbles me.

After the CO alarms went off yesterday afternoon I decided not to let the fire die out on it's own. (no heat so no draft) I shoveled out the remaining hot coals and let it cool off. The house smells normal again and the Frau is back to Christmas stuff.

I opened up the stove to look for leaks between the fire chamber and the pipe. There are a couple seams that don't show any cement, so I will caulk those up today just to ensure they are not reducing my vacuum. Other wise, I have not found any significant faults with my stove.

I believe I have a draft problem due to my big (8"X10" clay tile) exterior masonry, 25 foot tall chimney that is cooling my smoke rapidly when it is very cold. Every time I went to base burner mode I could instantly smell flu gas from the top of the barrel (No where else)

I am discovering that much like wood, coal burning is more art than science . So I am going to apply more science.
I am going to try the AUTO-DRAFT® MODEL AD-1 INDUCER FAN FOR WOOD OR COAL STOVES made by Tjernlund. ($100 - $145) Then I know I will be drawing the flu gases up and out.
By creating more vacuum in the barrel my stove should perform like it used to in Grandpa's basement. (Who had and interior, 2 1/2 story brick chimney) And the sulfur and CO should go up he chimney.

The 2 days we had it running it really heated up our great room.

Comments??

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Pancho wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 8:05 am

I have opened up my check damper wide open on startup/reload just to see the ladies dancing past my elbow and there is no short term difference in operation.
The check damper on your Glenwood #8 is a little different than an internal check damper on a suspended pot base burner.

I view a Glenwood check damper on the elbow as being a manually operated barometric damper. I use mine on really windy days in combination with my mpd to reduce draft.

On a suspended pot base burner the internal check damper is located on an inner wall behind the firepot. When this is open it diverts the primary under fire air directly into the flue bypassing the firebed.

I use mine more for cleaning the fine fly ash from the top of the ash pan before removing and dumping it, than for calming down the draft.

Imo, the position of an internal check damper on a suspended pot stove is more critical especially on startup and reload.

And of course that's just my opinion....... Watcha expect fer nothin ? :lol:

Paulie

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Paulie:

What position should the internal damper be in when the fire is going?

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Gents,
I believe we can take my 'not enough chimney' theory off the table. Next!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:46 pm

So you will spend $$$ for the draft inducer & $$ to run it...

Why not just run your stove in direct,burn a bit more coal, lose a bit of heat...
BUT, no electric & no electric part that will wear out.

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks Windy
I tried running it in direct mode for a few hours and it only heated up a small portion of the stove and the pipe. The entire bottom of the stove was cool.
It burned quite a bit of coal during those hours.
Putting the draft inducer on should allow it to run properly and perhaps on certain days I won't have to use it at all. It will also give me peace of mind at night as well.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 2:34 pm

jthorell wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:01 pm
Again I thank everyone for all the advice. Your knowledge humbles me.

After the CO alarms went off yesterday afternoon I decided not to let the fire die out on it's own. (no heat so no draft) I shoveled out the remaining hot coals and let it cool off. The house smells normal again and the Frau is back to Christmas stuff.

I opened up the stove to look for leaks between the fire chamber and the pipe. There are a couple seams that don't show any cement, so I will caulk those up today just to ensure they are not reducing my vacuum. Other wise, I have not found any significant faults with my stove.

I believe I have a draft problem due to my big (8"X10" clay tile) exterior masonry, 25 foot tall chimney that is cooling my smoke rapidly when it is very cold. Every time I went to base burner mode I could instantly smell flu gas from the top of the barrel (No where else)

I am discovering that much like wood, coal burning is more art than science . So I am going to apply more science.
I am going to try the AUTO-DRAFT® MODEL AD-1 INDUCER FAN FOR WOOD OR COAL STOVES made by Tjernlund. ($100 - $145) Then I know I will be drawing the flu gases up and out.
By creating more vacuum in the barrel my stove should perform like it used to in Grandpa's basement. (Who had and interior, 2 1/2 story brick chimney) And the sulfur and CO should go up he chimney.

The 2 days we had it running it really heated up our great room.

Comments??
I still don't think it's the chimney not getting hot enough. And I also think that using a draft inducer is chasing a non-problem while the real problem still remains.

A 25 foot chimney should be plenty high enough. Mine is 37 feet high, so that's 50% more chimney to heat if chimney heat loss were the problem.

And lots of exterior chimneys were built for coal at the time of that stove, that had no clay liners. And they were typically oversized by what we think of for stove chimneys today.

You'd be amazed at how little heat is needed to go up the chimney to keep a properly sealed coal stove running slowly in BB mode.

Example;
My 1903 coal range is hooked up to the original 1890's kitchen exterior, brick, no liner, chimney that is 8 1/2 x 81/2 inside. Like I said it's 37 feet tall and a lot of unlined brick to heat. Plus, the range is about the smallest model they made. It has a smaller firebox capacity than your stove - just 25 lbs of nut coal - 30 lbs stuffed full at night.

In oven mode, which is the same as base burner mode for you, it has much longer flues and much more heat extracting surface area than even very large BB stoves. It can run steady with a drop of the pipe surface temp to 100-105F just 2 feet above the stove top exit collar, and still keep on chugging all night long, even in warmer weather. That's more heat extraction than most BB stoves can achieve.

It never has died in 13 years for lack of draft, or backed up stink since I replaced the warped cooktop plates 12 years ago. And the cooktop has 10 removable plates that don't seal perfectly. It runs all night dampered down to .005 mano reading. Lower draft pressure than most stoves can still run at.

I strongly suspect you have leaks. Not one big one but many small ones that equal a big one.

I recommend you re-check carefully if there's any possibly way air can go from the ash pan area around the firebed instead of through it. Then any way air can leak in at the top or above the firebed.

Sometimes shinning a bright flash light on one side while you look at the other in a darkened room, will show a joint is not sealed as well as it could be. Even if it looks like internal joints are closed tight they may be opening as high heat on one side makes parts of the stove move.

We just had a case like that with another BB stove. Once sealed with refractory that BB stove works great again.

How tight is the loading door and it's secondary damper ? Can you close the door on a dollar bill and feel resistance as you pull the bill out ? If not you may be getting draft killing over-fire air leak there, too. Often it's not one big leak that's causing poor draft, but a bunch of small leaks that aren't easily seen, or they are ignored because they don't look big enough to cause a problem.

Paul

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 3:01 pm

jthorell wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 1:16 pm
Paulie:

What position should the internal damper be in when the fire is going?
Keep it closed all the time. Once you are running nice for a week or two we will give you some tips to make the ash pan removal dust free.

Did you get my PM ? (Private message)

I would save the money and stay away from that draft inducer and concentrate on getting to solving the problem.

A draft inducer is fine for a coal fired stoker but I would strongly advise against it for a hand fired coal stove.

In a power failure with a stoker the fire goes out in minutes. A power failure in the middle of the night on your application will create the same problem you have now.

Let's solve the problem ....... Not mask it.

It would really help if you post some pictures of the clean out access panel / doors to your base chamber.

Is it a plate under the ash pan? Small doors in back ?
Are they sealed tight ?
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Paulie

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 5:35 pm

“I believe I have a draft problem due to my big (8"X10" clay tile) exterior masonry, 25 foot tall chimney that is cooling my smoke rapidly when it is very cold. Every time I went to base burner mode I could instantly smell flu gas from the top of the barrel (No where else)”

AL29 4C six inch liner....done.

jthorell

Post by jthorell » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 6:54 pm

scalabro wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 5:35 pm
“I believe I have a draft problem due to my big (8"X10" clay tile) exterior masonry, 25 foot tall chimney that is cooling my smoke rapidly when it is very cold. Every time I went to base burner mode I could instantly smell flu gas from the top of the barrel (No where else)”

AL29 4C six inch liner....done.
It may eventually come to that.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Wouldn't it make sense to install a manometer in the pipe to see what the draft is doing before investing in a SS liner? I'm really having a tough time believing that this chimney won't draft in cold weather. I mean, shouldn't the exact opposite be true?

Those AD-1 units are noisy junk as far as I'm concerned. I had one. Firstly they run too fast and if you get inside it and turn down the potentiometer for it run slower they get hot. I know of one member that fried at least two of them.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 9:15 pm

So the draft has not been measured yet?

First things first.

+1 Lee.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 9:31 pm

I agree with Lee. Before blaming the chimney it makes sense to get an accurate reading of just what the draft number is.

Read Michael Anthony's thread about his Sparkle stove which turned out to be internal leaks in the base section.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 10:23 pm

scalabro wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 9:15 pm
So the draft has not been measured yet?

First things first.

+1 Lee.
Make that +2.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”