Damp Coal

Aron

Post by Aron » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Newbie here. I got a couple of ton of mine run bit. coal today and the fines are damp. If I dump it in an unheated garage on a tarp will it dry out ? Temps here have been -10 to 30F.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Dec. 24, 2008 6:44 pm

It will probably take quite a while to dry out the fines, especially in the cold garage.. Fines stay wet/damp for months even in the summer and fall.

If you can, screen out the fines.. put them in paper grocery bags, roll up the bag to make a 'log' about 3-4" diameter. The add the 'log' on a hot fire, the fines will burn in one spot, and can be broken up after an hour or so. This is how I burnt up my fines.. when I just shoveled in the mixed coal, the fines blocked too much airflow and I had problems keeping a good fire.

Hope this helps..

Greg L

dangit
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523

Post by dangit » Thu. Dec. 25, 2008 1:16 am

Just to add to the point LsFarm made, it is best to dry the fines out before adding to the stove. Air flow will dry out the fines even in cold temps so move the fines out of the garage, keep them under cover if possible, such as a covered porch with enough space to get some air flow. Stirring or screening will help. I had some really small coal that was on the damp side and it burned OK on a hot fire using the method he described. It wasn't coal dust, just little shards and pieces smaller than 1/4" in size. So, screen the bits and pieces out and that should help the drying process. It's a lot of work for a small reward though.

Aron

Post by Aron » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I brought 6 -5 gallon pails into the furnace room and set close to furnace. The coal seems to be drying nicely this way.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”