New Bituminous Furnace

Hand fed coal boilers and furnaces using bituminous coal to heat your home or business. Hand fed stoves as the name implies require manual feeding and air adjustments.
Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 11:32 am

I am purchasing a new furnace for my house and I would like some input on what kind to get. I am debating between outdoor and indoor. Let me give you a little backround. My house is only about 1600 sqft but no insulation and here in Eastern Ohio natural gas cost me about 2200 a year to heat with. I am planning to add on to my house in the coming years and would like to double it in size. Getting coal of any size is not an issue as I work for the largest strip mining co in Ohio,and also own my own retail coal yard. Smoke is not an issue either as I have no close neighbors and the ones I do burn wood and coal also. I like the idea of an outdoor furnace as I can also heat my garage and someday sidewalks and driveway (I hate shoveling snow!) But the upfront cost is large. I have tinkered with the idea of putting a Wil-Burt stoker in an outdoor furnace. I have talked to both the furnace manufacture (Shaver) and the Wil-Burt engineer and they said it is possible( although no one has done it before). Or would I be better just going with an indoor furnace as I can design my house addition around it. Please let me know what you think.
In the heart of Eastern Ohio coal country. Warm Morning 520, 521- Will-Burt Model 30 Stoker in Combustioneer Model 24FA Furnace
Mining Coal , Selling Coal, Burning Coal....Wow I love Coal!!!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Post Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 11:55 am

Do you have existing Hot Water System? If so, go with a Boiler, they don't take up much room and you parallel you system.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 12:14 pm

I trust when you say "furnace" you mean "boiler". Generally a furnace is hot air & a boiler is hot water. You might want to check out EFM. They're coming out with a bituminous boiler. Heated sidewalks & driveway... you go buddy!
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Berlin
Site Moderator
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Post Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 1:43 pm

I'd have an indoor boiler, fired with a stoker, fed from an airtight bin built into the house.
Burning western Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY using model 77 stoker furnace. BITUMINOUS equiptment: 2 hand fired stoves of my own design, Many Combustioneer Model 77 stokers, stokermatic furnace, Many Will-Burt stokers, & and Two Iron firemen.

Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 4:41 pm

I have and existing hot air natural gas furnace, no boiler. And a very old woodchuck (SN-000001644) add on furnace that is not plumbed into the house duct work, just kinda blows into the basement, so I leave the basement door open. I just purchased the house last year and we are about to move in after a massive remodeling project. Now my quest is to figure out what to burn coal in.
In the heart of Eastern Ohio coal country. Warm Morning 520, 521- Will-Burt Model 30 Stoker in Combustioneer Model 24FA Furnace
Mining Coal , Selling Coal, Burning Coal....Wow I love Coal!!!

Berlin
Site Moderator
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Post Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 8:40 pm

honestly, you should look for a model 77 combustioneer stoker or mark IV stoker like member hardwood has (all made by will-burt mfg.). I have my model 77 plumbed to the ductwork and it heats the entire house just fine. VERY convenient. you can find them used, there was one on ebay a few months ago.
Burning western Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY using model 77 stoker furnace. BITUMINOUS equiptment: 2 hand fired stoves of my own design, Many Combustioneer Model 77 stokers, stokermatic furnace, Many Will-Burt stokers, & and Two Iron firemen.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”