Best Stove to Survive the Upcoming Depression

swva

Post by swva » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:42 pm

SAU wrote:My take on it was that the Buck was the bottom of the line in coal stoves offered today.
Hi SAU, I'm hearing this same thing from a lot of people. After calling around for Hitzers, Harmans, and Vermont Castings a lot of dealers have told me the Bucks are well built, but very basic and that if I could afford stoves from one of the other brands I'd be a lot better off.

swva

Post by swva » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 9:00 pm

LsFarm wrote:Harmans are backordered longer [later in 2009] than the Hitzers..

I'd call around to Hitzer dealers.. there may be one or two with some stoves in stock
So far no luck. Gotta find something before the bottom drops completely out of Wall Street or I'm going to be in a long line of those waiting to get any kind of coal stove at all, no matter the brand or quality. It fell another 670+ points today! :shock: Scary times ... my 401K is shot!

swva

Post by swva » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 1:00 pm

I've found a dealer with a Hitzer model 254 in stock, but I'm not sure it'll be right for my house. I've posted another topic (Hitzer 254 Without a Blower) that asks a few questions about this model. Hopefully it'll do the job.

swva

Post by swva » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Well, I've settled on a hard-found Hitzer model 254 radiant. The house is well insulated and has Tyvek house wrap, so it should be just fine. Thanks to everyone for their insight, opinions, and suggestions. This is a really good forum and it saved me from buying a stove of low quality.

letsride88

Post by letsride88 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 9:20 am

Check out the coal chubby, very popular here in New England. Inventer is restoring original units to new for about $700.00 complete with stove.
http://chubbystove.com/

oldwhisky

Post by oldwhisky » Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 1:49 pm

I burn everything from lump bit to fine bit in my vigilant II with no problems. Plus it's a great looking stove.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 3:25 pm

swva wrote:
Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 1:31 am
I'm convinced the U.S. is going to go through a bad recession and, most likely, a short depression. I'm looking to buy a good coal stove for my family to survive the cold mountain winters here in southwest Virginia during the hard economic times. When I was a kid we had a Warm Morning and it was a great stove, but we replaced that with a heat pump back in '92. Since Warm Morning stoves are no longer in production, and since it's virtually impossible to find one within driving distance, I've had to research other brands, but can't seem to find the right stove.

I'm looking for a stove that can handle the sooty and messy bituminous coal that is mined here where I live. Everything I've looked at so far seems to be made to burn anthracite or they don't specify one way or the other what they are designed to burn. Which brands and models should I be looking at?
Looks like your prediction was correct.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 6:05 pm

I have a question since this thread came back from the dead.

Did you leave your 401K alone when the bottom fell out?
Did it rebound plus add in 10 years?

That is my interest...oh, and how he made out with the stove too of course. :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 6:19 pm

So much for the "Big Picture"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”