Chappee Hand Fired Boiler

twainer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bermuda (Chapee) solid fuel boiler
Coal Size/Type: bituminous lump
Other Heating: Natural gas boilers

Post by twainer » Mon. Nov. 25, 2019 11:55 am

Yeah, I can't fathom how this happened. During normal operations, the temps can't get over 220, or the pressure relief would blow off. It works, I've tested. I run the boiler around 100 - 140f mostly. I find its much more comfortable to keep heat constantly flowing rather than cycling on and off like the nat. gas boiler does. That's why coal is such a great way to heat with hot water.

I found in reading several assembly manuals for Weil-McClain and some others, that the rods are used to pull the castings tight together, then unscrewed and tightened only just past finger tight. Once I read that, I went back and removed the tension I had on the new all-thread rods.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Nov. 27, 2019 1:42 pm

On a similar note, when I resealed my warm morning I tightened the stove bolts with a ratchet. I got them pretty tight. One evening when I was stoking it and it was nearly running away probably 800* on the top, I hear a couple of loud pops. I inspected things and found a few broken stove bolts. I’m not sure what the specs are but they sure aren’t tighten well with ratchet....lol

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”