New Hitzer 55FA

rayr55
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 55FA

Post by rayr55 » Sun. Oct. 22, 2023 6:43 pm

Recently installed a used (new to me) Hitzer 55FA in my basement. Have been burning wood in it for the past couple weeks but want to switch over to coal before winter.
Looks like a good deal on some Bituminous less than an hour away from me. They have the following sizes:
Run of Mine $70/ton
Stoker $100/ton
Lumps No Fines $80/ton
Doing some reading it looks like I want something around softball size down to egg size. I haven't seen the material yet but am going to try to pick some up next week. I'm guessing ROM will have too many fines so I'm between Stoker and "Lump no Fines". How big of pieces are too big? If I can get it through the door is it good?
Selling claims Sulfer 4% and ash 8%. Are those good numbers? Sorry for any "stupid" questions, been burning wood for years but coal is all new to me and it seems like there is less Bituminous information out there compared to anthracite.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Oct. 22, 2023 6:52 pm

What mine as in where? Others will want to know that. Im betting on Lump. If you have some wood to burn with it that will help.

After the smoke is mostly burned up, if you can close that inside door to recirculate the exhaust that would be a plus as far as efficiency but if it soots everything up or causes other issues you may have to leave that door open. My Dad can close that door with wood in his 55UL and it really works well that way. Your results may vary.

rayr55

Post by rayr55 » Sun. Oct. 22, 2023 6:58 pm

It's coming from Barkeyville, PA. Prices seem pretty cheap compared to other places so not sure if it's just a good deal or less than desirable coal.
I have been closing that door with the wood once I get it going. Seems to be burning good.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 22, 2023 7:24 pm

I think lump would be best, but see what your coal man thinks. That Hitzer is a nice stove.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Oct. 22, 2023 8:39 pm

Welcome to the Forum Ray.I have a 55 non furnace your going to be happy with your stove. My advice when burning wood run it warm, I choked mine down and it did make a lot of creosote. I burn all coal now. I did try some bit coal from Somerset last year I got a few hundred lbs of nut size. Being soft coal it did have some fines it but it burnt just fine. After the first few minutes of some smoke and yellow flames it burnt just like anthracite even with blue flames, except for some bridging that busted up real easy. Bituminous coal varies a lot from region to region so definitely get some to try before you commit to a big load. I would get larger size.

rayr55

Post by rayr55 » Mon. Oct. 23, 2023 1:15 pm

Thanks for the info.
I'm going to try to make it there this Saturday and maybe pick half a ton of the lump up and see how it does.
For the upper size do I want to break big pieces up to try to get to softball size or am I good with putting big pieces in as long as it fits thru the door and then smaller pieces around to make a good bed?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Oct. 23, 2023 5:15 pm

Ive put pieces bigger than my head into my Riteway but that had a larger grate and firebox. Its probably a case of trial and error.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Mon. Oct. 23, 2023 9:20 pm

The main problem with large lump is shoveling an handling it. Also it doesn't work real well if you just have 1 or 2 large chunks in there burning.

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 8:56 am

Any update? I grabbed 3.5 ton from there. It's definitely volatiles but I have no reference except anthracite

rayr55

Post by rayr55 » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 9:16 am

I grabbed 1ton of the lumps no fines. It definitely still had a fair amount of fines in it. I don't have anything to reference too either but it was some pretty rough stuff. I would have to dump the coal in and hurry up and get the stove door shut or the smoke and stink came into the house. Then wait a solid 8-10 hrs before I could even think about opening the door unless I wanted stink in the house.
I tried adding some over fire burn tubes like others have done here and I couldn't get it to burn any cleaner. Burned the stuff for about 2 weeks and decided it wasn't worth it (plugged up the screen on my chimney cap which should have been removed anyways after some more reading) and picked up some anthracite. What a difference on how anthracite burns.
I think if I was in a garage or shop or something I would stick with it but I don't want the smell in the house.
Does anyone know if say I would get a combustioneer stocker stove would it help burn a lot cleaner or would it still be a problem? There is one for sale on Craigslist not terribly far away that I thought about grabbing to give a try next winter.

carlherrnstein

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 12:07 pm

Yes. Combustioneer are awesome. That's what I got years ago an haven't looked back. They have a couple trouble spots but they are not bad at all.

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 1:31 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:
Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 12:07 pm
Yes. Combustioneer are awesome. That's what I got years ago an haven't looked back. They have a couple trouble spots but they are not bad at all.
Is the combustioneer able to reduce soot? I had sootballs all over my steel roof . All I can imagine is that they were going to turn into acid drops

carlherrnstein

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 4:27 pm

wnycoalier wrote:
Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 1:31 pm
Is the combustioneer able to reduce soot? I had sootballs all over my steel roof . All I can imagine is that they were going to turn into acid drops
Yes, but it's not 100% smokeless however it's nothing like a hand fired stove. Most of the smoke you get with one is right after the stoker shuts off an it's minimal.

I have a 6" stovepipe and run 3 ton through it every season an only clean flyash out in the spring.

One thing consider before buying on is if you can get coal that is sized correctly. They have to have 1 inch max an 1/4 min size an less than 25% fines, if the coal has more fines than that you will fight bridging in the hopper.

rayr55

Post by rayr55 » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 6:08 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:
Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 4:27 pm
Yes, but it's not 100% smokeless however it's nothing like a hand fired stove. Most of the smoke you get with one is right after the stoker shuts off an it's minimal.

I have a 6" stovepipe and run 3 ton through it every season an only clean flyash out in the spring.

One thing consider before buying on is if you can get coal that is sized correctly. They have to have 1 inch max an 1/4 min size an less than 25% fines, if the coal has more fines than that you will fight bridging in the hopper.
I've been doing some research on here about stokers because i would love to burn bituminous with such a big cost difference. Carl, is it you that has a "soot box" on the chimney? That was my other issue with hand firing was the soot in the stove pipe. I only have 6" which reading more 8" would be a lot better.

carlherrnstein

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 6:35 pm

It's not really a soot box, I have a black single wall "T" fitting in place of a elbow. There is a space that fills with flyash, my first year I just had an elbow and it did obstruct the pipe.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”