I need help. New to all this and several problems.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:34 pm

I get my stoker coal from Bramhi coal company in Wellston Ohio they also have "lump" size and "egg" size I'm unsure of their current prices. Back when ran a hand fired stove I would get coal from Bramhi or Oxford Reclamation tunnel hill mine over be New Lexington Ohio. I just called to find out if they still sell coal, the lady said she would call me back tomorrow 🙄 EDIT she called back, they do not sell coal anymore.

I know the coal from tunnel hill burned well an made coke that would readily burn however it could "bridge over" an fuse if it didn't get enough air from over the fire. I think they were working in the #5 an #6 Pittsburgh seem.
Last edited by carlherrnstein on Thu. Dec. 29, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Byron4bushido
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating WC70
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous egg

Post by Byron4bushido » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:10 pm

Definitely appreciate the heads up!
Waiting on some wood now and will try firing it back up tonight now that I have the manometer installed so I can check my draft.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Dec. 30, 2022 3:48 pm

Byron4bushido wrote:
Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 2:17 pm
I don’t want to. Guys a prick. He also lives here.
I installed it. LOL
Well, its not the installation then..gotta be operator error.

Keep us posted.

Byron4bushido
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating WC70
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous egg

Post by Byron4bushido » Fri. Dec. 30, 2022 9:32 pm

Update:
So apparently if it has a good fire going in it, it drafts between .08-.10 without my chimney fan being turned on and with a small-medium fire about .06 and if it’s just hot coals it stays between .02-.04. So I’ve been creating waaay too much draft with my chimney fan. So at least have that figured out.
Also, it actually IS coke is my previous photos. It will turn to fine ash but only if I throw some seasoned hardwood on top of it and keep hot coals on it for 12-24hrs. I’ve been learning how to dial in my secondary air in the ash door and have discovered that’s paramount to keeping the fire going. Otherwise when the boiler comes up to temp and closes the draft door, my fire dies out and can’t recover when it calls for heat again and opens. I also had no idea how much flue temp affected draft. At 175 degrees in my flue, my draft is -.02 but at 400 degrees it’s -.10

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Dec. 30, 2022 10:55 pm

Cool, you're learning. As you feel your way through it you will learn what to do based on how the fire looks.

If you have the time you might want to look for a stoker mechanism for it. Winkler, iron fireman, Will-Burt are some that exist for use with bituminous coal. A stoker can constantly control the temperature of the boiler an would make your life a lot easier.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”