Newbie questions and broken grate

AprilO
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Burnham
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil

Post by AprilO » Wed. Dec. 07, 2022 6:31 am

3 months in to a new property and I broke a grate on my old Burnham furnace. Luckily I have one extra on hand, but it's looking like replacements are not easy to find if I break another at some point. Ugh.
I'm not totally unfamiliar with coal furnaces but I'm still figuring this one out. I'm in PA so coal is easy to get. I'm looking at around 15 tons this season (big 1900s house and office building to heat). My 1st ton of coal was super rocky...like 20% rocks. So I got better stuff no rocks that burned longer but was really tough to get hot if it went out. Last few tons I got different stuff that lit up hot quick but burned down super fast and melded into one big lump/crusted over and smothered itself if i didnt break it up every 2 hrs. A giant pain and I'm wondering if the rocky coal for a few weeks then my constant too aggressive poking of the current coal led to the broken grate. I keep the ash pit clean to get good draft so heat under grates is not the cause. I'm thinking of getting a 50/50 mix of the slower burning and hot burning soft coal next round. I'm looking at needing around 15 tons total this season so I'm trying different combos in 3 ton batches.
My questions:
1. Any ideas on where to look to find grates for this old thing? So far found one on ebay but it might not be the right model. Can't seem to find my furnace model on the furnace.
2. Did I burn coal in a way that makes the grates more likely to break...I'm guessing rocks + too aggressive poking was the reason...but maybe the large heavy solid meld of red hot coal warped the grates and added to the problem?
3. Can I burn hard coal in a soft coal furnace (or a mix of hard and soft) to get longer more even and cleaner burn time? My neighbors probably hate my smoky smelly chimney. Everyone I ask tells me maybe but can't seem to tell me why or why not.

Any insight you experts have on my many questions would be much appreciated! Now off to see if I can figure out how to swap out a grate.

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Wed. Dec. 07, 2022 9:52 pm

I have a Burnham boiler. I got 4 grates from Meyers plumbing and heating supply in Johnstown PA and 2 grates from Curwensville True Value in Curwensville PA. About 7 years ago.

pintoplumber

Post by pintoplumber » Wed. Dec. 07, 2022 9:53 pm

I have a Burnham boiler. I got 4 grates from Meyers plumbing and heating supply in Johnstown PA and 2 grates from Curwensville True Value in Curwensville PA. About 7 years ago. It helps to know what model you have.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 08, 2022 1:44 pm

Tomahawk foundry in Wisconsin can make one for you.

AprilO
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Burnham
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil

Post by AprilO » Thu. Dec. 08, 2022 2:26 pm

Found a grate at Westricks plumbing and heating supply in Carrolltown, PA. I was worried they would be hard to find but they have them. I'll check out Myers too.

pintoplumber

Post by pintoplumber » Sun. Dec. 11, 2022 7:32 pm

Do you have a furnace or a boiler? How about a picture so we know what you’re working with?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”