What size to burn and grates jam up

Luskateer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: Bit
Other Heating: Split system

Post by Luskateer » Mon. Jan. 27, 2020 10:01 pm

So I’m new to the coal burning business. I have a Glacier Bay fireplace insert which I’m using free standing in the basement. I’ve been burning tractor supply antracite nut coal and some very large local bit pieces .. I need to order some local fuel. Couple of tons. My grates seem to jam up with the ts coal. I thought I was over shaking but this last time I tried to control it better to no avail. Would I be better off going’s with larger coal like egg or lump or going smaller with pea size. I think the stove is a Model MCC and is same as a Gibraltar. I’m getting a lot rocks and klinkers.
Thanks for any help...great forum. I’ve been lurking and learning. :D

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Feb. 04, 2020 11:24 am

Welcome. You may want to post this in the anthracite section. There isn’t much action here in bituminous.

I tried TSC coal and it was full of fines. It also clinkered up really bad. I switched to Blashack. It has very little fines but clinkers just as bad. Those are the only two choices in my area besides bituminous.

Anyway try the other section. There’s much more action there.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 04, 2020 12:34 pm

Luskateer wrote:
Mon. Jan. 27, 2020 10:01 pm
So I’m new to the coal burning business. I have a Glacier Bay fireplace insert which I’m using free standing in the basement. I’ve been burning tractor supply antracite nut coal and some very large local bit pieces .. I need to order some local fuel. Couple of tons. My grates seem to jam up with the ts coal. I thought I was over shaking but this last time I tried to control it better to no avail. Would I be better off going’s with larger coal like egg or lump or going smaller with pea size. I think the stove is a Model MCC and is same as a Gibraltar. I’m getting a lot rocks and klinkers.
Thanks for any help...great forum. I’ve been lurking and learning. :D
It's not the bagged coal either...
Post by McGiever - Cant get stove above 400* :)

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 2:44 pm

If blaschak is available in your area it's the best! I have a Gibraltar (Glacier bay) and switched to stove coal from nut. My Gibraltar Lcc burns way better on stove coal but it's big and you need a good fire going to start up the stove. I use a big kindling wood fire but a bag of pea would work if you have only a small wood fire then pea and finally load up the big chunks. Gibraltar grates jam no matter what you're burning but nut is the smallest I'd feel comfortable burning on them simply because of the design. Anything smaller would jam even more and lots would fall through wasting fuel

Luskateer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: Bit
Other Heating: Split system

Post by Luskateer » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi thanks for responding. I’m getting better at keeping my single door unit alive for couple days at a time now.. I’m learning not to over shake. Even still she jambs up and I have to dismantle her. My wife and I have named her baby. I see block coal and stove coal for sale around here. I’m still working out the bugs. I live on 6 acres and have tons of wood. I’d like to burn a combination.

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 10:25 pm

These stoves are great for that combination plan. Another reason to burn stove coal in my opinion is its ability to burn with good air flow. Big coal breathes much easier than small coal from below. If you mix wood with coal a lot your wood ash will settle into the fire and dampen it making it harder to maintain good air flow will be a frustration at times but with practice it's definitely doable. I've pretty much stopped burning wood except to liven a slow burning unmaintained coal fire which works great! Wood is more work and I have no trees of my own to harvest so I'm taking the easy road now but these are some of the best stoves to do that in. They do not burn wood as efficiently as most or all newer wood stoves but the flexibility is admirable.

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Thu. Feb. 27, 2020 4:19 am

I hate to say this for fear someone will break something but when my Gibraltar stove grates jam I just force it back and forth and break the coal. Have done this for years and no problems. It seems like Everytime I do it it's going to break something but it only ever breaks the coal. Slamming the shaker handle with everything I've got seems crazy but I've just been giving it a little more for years until I decided they're invincible. Lol. Now I hope nobody tries this and snaps a tie rod but I've been beating the hell out of the jams for 15 years. No problem yet

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”