Alaska kodiak first year

kirtsy420
Hand Fed Coal Stove: alaska kodiak
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: clayton 1600
Coal Size/Type: rock coal. bituminous/ chest nut anthracite

Post by kirtsy420 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 8:54 am

I bought a kodiak from a family member slightly used. This is my first year burning straight coal. I've been able to hold a fire for 12 hrs and able to throw more on ti keep it going. My question is what's the general temp to run these stoves, how do you burn bit coal correctly, and where can I buy reliable parts for this stove when need parts? I've been having the stove idle at 500 600 degrees. How often should I clean my chimney. I plan on burning anthersite coal once the holidays is over. Bit coal is free so I'm burning that. Any help would be appreciated!

kirtsy420

Post by kirtsy420 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Also who runs a chimney cap? Will it soot up to where the chimney wont breath?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 5:57 pm

If you checked your chimney before firing up, check it in a week. if its still real clear check it again 2 weeks later. Some bit coal soots up quick, some doesnt. Caps can be troublesome sometimes. Some use them, some dont. Anthracite does not create soot, just some ash. Usually only horizontal pipes need cleaning during the season with anthracite.

Parts should be available if needed from the makers of the stove. However its a simple design and shouldnt need many parts.

I usually let it burn up pretty good, then fill it quick so less smoke gets in the house. (that isnt a problem with anthracite). Depending on the coal, it will need a certain amount of over fire air to help burn volatiles and not cause puffing. Does your stove have a control for over fire air? If not you may want to keep the front load door barely cracked for a while.

How long it will burn and how hot really varies by the coal. You will like anthracite better, most likely.

kirtsy420

Post by kirtsy420 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 6:13 pm

What pretty good? 500?600? 800? I notice around 700 the top of the stove will start to glow and I have it shut down by this point and she starts cooling off pretty easy. How do I clean my glass? Its covered in black?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 9:16 pm

Over 500 on a regular basis is too hot, except the top of the stove as that runs hotter. Its ok to go above that when you refill for a little time but not 24/7. I would try for 300-400 24/7 if that keeps your house warm. I am unsure where to put the thermometer on a kodiac but not the top. Temps are taken near but not on the top edge of the side or front of the stove. The top will be too hot to go by. Unless someone chimes in that has your stove, Im thinking just above the front door on the front of the stove, not the top.

Magnetic thermometers are not exact and vary. They work great to know about how hot our stoves are.

Glass will be almost impossible to keep clean with most bit coal. With anthracite its fairly easy.

kirtsy420

Post by kirtsy420 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 9:25 pm

I'm curious what its gonna take to keep my house warm when it gets really cold out. It's been idling around 450 and 500

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 1:27 pm

kirtsy420

That depends on the house and many factors so there is no honest

answer.

You need to run for awhile and assess the results.

BigBarney

kirtsy420

Post by kirtsy420 » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Well if it dont work I'm buying the biggest hitzar I can buy

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”