Florence Hot Blast 153 Running on Bit

TotenFleisch

Post by TotenFleisch » Thu. Oct. 31, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just got this guy installed about a month ago, and have been burning wood and bit coal in it since. Temperatures here have been getting into the negatives at night, so having the coal hold the fire over has been great. Still working to try to get the burn times/temperatures evened out, but its a beauty to watch. I have had it go out after about 4 hours if i don't increase the air, and I have had it burn out in 6 hours if I leave the air too high. I have yet to find a good middle ground on how to get longer burns. Chimney has a very strong draft, I often have to have the damper at 45-60 degrees closed to keep the stove from going over 700f barrel temp. Anyone burning this stove have air settings and burn times figured out?

The coal was from someone getting rid of ~4 tons of 1" and smaller stuff for free, so naturally I couldn't resist :D

The coal we have out here in CO these days is high volatile, low sulfur, low ash bit, at least from the West Elk mine that this is likely from. as long as I pay attention and have the stove hot & banked when I add fuel, little to no smoke escapes the chimney at any time. That said, I have smoked the area up when Im not paying attention haha.

Hope you enjoy the short videos and photos, it sure makes our cabin cozy.

Attachments

IMG_8677.MOV
.MOV | 75.2MB | IMG_8677.MOV
IMG_8638.MOV
.MOV | 9.4MB | IMG_8638.MOV

hman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400 (sold) looking for another stove
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous

Post by hman » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 8:38 pm

That’s a beautiful stove and setup.

TotenFleisch

Post by TotenFleisch » Fri. Nov. 15, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks!! It was a lot of work.

Think I about have the air settings down- about half turn on the front primary sir and 1 full turn on the secondary air, with the damper at 45 degrees. The long burns sure make wood a pain now haha

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Nov. 27, 2019 1:20 pm

I burned bit last year in a warm morning stove. It was a struggle. Putting a barometric damper in really helped a lot. My chimney has a strong draft too. I had it choked down with horizontal runs, a manual dampener, a magic air and three 90* elbows. It didn’t make much difference until I put the baro in. All set ups are different though.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”