Gasified Boiler for Sub Bituminous

alaskacoal

Post by alaskacoal » Fri. Jul. 11, 2008 4:49 am

We have sub-bituminous coal, and are looking for the most efficient boiler. We have to heat about 6,000 square feet (three buildings). We're looking at the PerEKO KSR 75kW from http://www.kotly.com, located in Poland, which is sitting at 83% efficiency. We would prefer a gasified system, but can't find one yet that meets our needs. We need to order ASAP, as winter is approaching. Any suggestions?

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Tue. Jul. 22, 2008 1:00 am

I was just mentally toying with the idea of using a wood gasification boiler with peat or lignite. Lignite or Peat might lend themselves well to gasification. I don't know of any residential coal gasification technologies for coal, only wood. Perhaps the wood gasification boiler could be converted to lignite or peat. I am not sure how the wood gasification boilers handle the ash. I don't think there is much. The ash for lignite, even if the combustion is gasified, will probably be more voluminous than wood. I certainly would check with the wood gasification manufacturers first before trying such a thing. Their wood systems are intriguing though some say they are not true gasification combustion. It might be just the ticket for burning the sub bituminous solid fuels efficiently and in a cleaner way.

Are you currently burning lignite?

alaskacoal

Post by alaskacoal » Tue. Jul. 22, 2008 1:12 am

Thanks for the reply. No, we have 'cleaner' and hotter-burning coal than lignite. We found some boilers that burn sub-bituminous coal, but not gasified. The gasified systems we found can't burn anything but up to 30% lignite, which doesn't burn so hot. The Orlan and Atmos are gasified and burn up to 30% lignite, and the All-Canadian was not gasified, but burns sub-bituminous. We settled for a coal-only system, at 82% efficiency.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”