Looking at Harmon TLC2000

JanewaysGirl

Post by JanewaysGirl » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 5:05 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:There was a post from someone who was burning 'Bitty' coal in the Harman. Use the search at the top right corner of the page and it would not hurt to post in the 'Bitty' forum also. I think the trucking of anthracite coal to Nebraska would be prohibitive. Best to use what you have close by and that would be your 'Bitty'.

Hello, all!

This is a great site! I've been looking at it now for a few days and my brain is...leaking. I can't hold anymore info. :shock: So I thought I'd just ask for a few opinions.

I'm looking at a Harman TLC2000 because a) multi-fuel capable, b) there is a dealer within a 100 miles c) I want a stove that works when there's no power and d)I really like the whole 'coal' idea. Everything I've read for this stove seems to fit what I need. The problem is that I live in SE Nebraska, the Lincoln area. (yea, that state no one ever mentions, it's in the middle) and can't seem to find a coal provider other than mail order by Lehmans. I get a lot from them and they are an outstanding company so I've got no issues with them. The problem is the coal they sell is Reading. I've read here that the Harman TLC and Reading coal don't mix too well.

Can I hear the stories of what exactly happened with this mix before I buy the stove and or a few tons of coal? Does anyone have any other stove suggestions? Does anyone know where I can get better coal? I'm looking into hardware stores, co-ops and the like but we just don't have too many people burning coal here ('cept for the power companies).

Lastly I was wondering what the experiences were with burning wood, pellets (of anything, in a Prometheus basket) Bitty coal or coke in this stove. I am really, REALLY wanting a stove that can burn a variety of fuels. We tend to hover about our wood stove now so I'm not too concerned with heating the whole house, just the area where we spend most of our time. I'm a self sufficiency nut, so I really don't want to rely on a single fuel.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Welcome. I have a TLC-2000 & love it but your probably read my thread about having trouble with Reading Coal. That's It- Stick With Blaschak! Here's a link to Blaschak
**Broken Link(s) Removed** which I've never had problems with. Contact them & see if you can find their coal near you.

Robby

Post by Robby » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Have one, like it, burns bit well. Also burns wood fairly well. Order a second top door (loading door) gasket at the same time. I seem to damage it when pouring in coal. Not expensive, just hard to get quikely.
robby

charlie
Stoker Coal Boiler: Prill 200 BF
Other Heating: Tulikivi TTU 2700

Post by charlie » Wed. Nov. 05, 2008 9:47 am

I don't much about the Harmon, but I do know that thousands of tons of bit coal leave the retail yard where I work headed for Nebraska. Give me a week and I'll see if any of it gets close to Lincoln.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”