Hitzer 254 mods?

Rooster
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 254
Coal Size/Type: Ky bituminous

Post by Rooster » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm thinking of adding a draft knob for over the fire air on either side of my hitzer 254 just above the fire brick maybe both sides. I'm burning both anthracite and bituminous coal, mostly bit. From what I've read on this forum I need this to burn bit more efficiently? I have followed other methods for better / safer burns, such as large sized coal, banking the coal ext... My stove pipe is a bit small from what I've read, 6 inch and extends 15 feet from stove collar strait up, no cap. Will this mod help, does this seem like the right locations to add draft knobs? Or should I just leave well enough alone as it seems to be working fine other than I've had to run a brush down it a few times this season due to soot build-up.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 3:53 pm

It would help some either way you will always have to brush the soot out at some point.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Id be checking that 6" chimney quite often for soot buildup. Probably more often than you want too, just to be safe.

You could try just 1 side first and see if its enough air before adding a second hole. Unsure if cracking the top door will work good on that stove or not for overfire air. Every situation is different so hard to say for sure what will work.

If its working good and your happy with it now than maybe its unnecessary. Its really up to you.

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks folks, I appreciate the advice. I didn't expect this to eliminate my soot build-up but rather slow it down some. I've been checking it every month and usually I have an inch or so build-up. Nothing I can't handle with a swipe or two of a brush. Like I said I've been burning both bit and anthracite but I prefer bit coal, it's easy and cheap to get, burns hot faster and I actually enjoy it better lol. Except the SOOT.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 6:45 pm

The problem with soot buildup, or one of them is, how it restricts and narrows your stove pipe, especially a 6" pipe. A round 6" pipe has a little over 28 square inches. If that is restricted 1/4" all the way around so you are making the pipe 5.5" the square inches drops to 23.7. If you have 1/2" all the way around making it 5" you are now at 19.6 square inches.

So you have dropped from 28 to 19.6, somewhat close to losing 1/3 of the size just by losing an inch. If your curious about other sizes here is where I got the info. http://www.hauserandmiller.com/reference/circumference.html

An 8" pipe has over 50 square inches so you are just a little over half of that with a clean 6" pipe. I'd check it more often than once a month when burning soft coal.

A good draft helps of course.

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 7:03 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 6:45 pm
The problem with soot buildup, or one of them is, how it restricts and narrows your stove pipe, especially a 6" pipe. A round 6" pipe has a little over 28 square inches. If that is restricted 1/4" all the way around so you are making the pipe 5.5" the square inches drops to 23.7. If you have 1/2" all the way around making it 5" you are now at 19.6 square inches.

So you have dropped from 28 to 19.6, somewhat close to losing 1/3 of the size just by losing an inch. If your curious about other sizes here is where I got the info. http://www.hauserandmiller.com/reference/circumference.html

An 8" pipe has over 50 square inches so you are just a little over half of that with a clean 6" pipe. I'd check it more often than once a month when burning soft coal.

A good draft helps of course.
Sounds like I'd be wise to upgrade to an 8 inch system. I will probably have to wait until Spring or before next heating season. I appreciate the advice and concerns, I don't take it lightly. I will keep a close check on it in the mean time, easy enough to do just let the fire die out. I can look from the inside of Fire box above the baffle with a camera or climb on the roof to check as long as there's no snow.

vess_40

Post by vess_40 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Greetings, I’m a fellow 254 burner (1st season) and burning bit as well. Did you ever do the draft knob mod for over the air fire?I was wanting to do something similar on mine cause I still would like the option to burn wood a little more cleanly. Bit is very sooty but our stove model seems to burn it really well. I just wish there was some sort of an airwash on the door to help keep it clean.

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 9:28 pm

vess_40 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 12:54 pm
Greetings, I’m a fellow 254 burner (1st season) and burning bit as well. Did you ever do the draft knob mod for over the air fire?I was wanting to do something similar on mine cause I still would like the option to burn wood a little more cleanly. Bit is very sooty but our stove model seems to burn it really well. I just wish there was some sort of an airwash on the door to help keep it clean.
Hello vess_40, I'll probably add the draft knob in a few weeks. I got one ordered should be here in a few days. I'll try and post some pictures once it's done. I'm not in a big hurry cause like you said these stoves seem to burn bit very well without over fire air. I actually prefer bit in this stove rather than anthracite. Other than the soot from bit. I personally don't mind my glass being black, even with air wash I don't think it'd stay clean while burning bit. I saw you're 254 in another post btw, sweet lookin setup. Anyways I'll try and keep you posted with whatever mods I do.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Since its working so well i am wondering if its getting over fire air from the glass gasket already?

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 10:14 pm

corey wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 10:02 pm
Since its working so well i am wondering if its getting over fire air from the glass gasket already?
I don't think so my stove is just about 3 months old, the glass gasket seems good and I know the door gasket is. I've checked it with a piece of paper and also tried the candle trick, seems to be airtight.

vess_40

Post by vess_40 » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 10:17 am

Yeah I’d like to see pics if you ever install it and an update on performance. I might do mine too.

hman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400 (sold) looking for another stove
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous

Post by hman » Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Rooster,did you ever do the mods to your 254 that you was thinking about doing? And if you did,how much difference did it make.
I have been thinking about getting a 254.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 12:13 pm

I have a 354...but mine is a double door stove. Each door having an air spinner below the glass. I don’t have this stove installed yet and have zero experience burning coal and/or using this type of stove.

That said, if you make these modifications and they work out for you, then it would seem that anyone wanting a 354 or 254 for burning bituminous into the future may benefit from buying/ ordering a stove with two doors...which as of this day can still be ordered, though they’re not advertised. Just have to call Hitzer and tell them what you want. Dean himself told me they still sell them if people want them.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Apr. 28, 2020 9:13 pm

Rooster wrote:
Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 7:03 pm
Sounds like I'd be wise to upgrade to an 8 inch system. I will probably have to wait until Spring or before next heating season. I appreciate the advice and concerns, I don't take it lightly. I will keep a close check on it in the mean time, easy enough to do just let the fire die out. I can look from the inside of Fire box above the baffle with a camera or climb on the roof to check as long as there's no snow.
Older thread...but for those reading into the future...
Keep your pipe and chimney the same as the stove outlet for (key words) optimal draft and operation...same size all the way to the top of the chimney. Also, if you chimney is slightly bigger than the stove outlet and the pipe it may be ok. However, Hitzer does allow for some variation in chimney size...bigger than the stove outlet. Consult or call Hitzer for additional details.

Since my last post I am loving my 354 double door Hitzer although I have been burning anthracite. They still offer the double doors and I think they can be added to a 254 stove as well as the 354. Hitzer can also modify a persons single door stove to accept two doors. These doors have air spinners built in.

Also for those reading this into the future...

I spoke with Hitzer today (Dean Lehman’s son) and he told me he feels the 254 is sort of the “unsung hero” of Hitzer’s stoves. He also told me was between the 30-95 and the 354 as far as output. Meaning it was capable of ultr low idle while still offering plenty of thump...still able to throw a lot of heat.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Nov. 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Hoyt did Hitzer tell you they can modify an existing single door stove into a double door stove? I’d love to have the look and functionality of double doors with over fire air on my 50-93

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”