Brunco Stove Identification

mavery1763
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Brunco, unknown model
Other Heating: Gas fired forced air

Post by mavery1763 » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 11:03 am

Hello, everyone. My wife and I moved into a new (to us) home in Northeast Ohio. It is a ranch, built in the late '90s, with walkout basement that has been finished and equipped with a Brunco wood (/coal?) stove. The stove is installed on the lower level, in a relatively enclosed area, and set up in a manner to collect the warm air above it in an open duct that's connected to the cold air return of the gas-fired, forced air furnace, for distribution throughout the house.

We do not have the user manual or any documentation for the stove, and cannot find a manufacturer’s tag to identify the model number. We’ve googled for ‘Brunco stove’ but can’t find anything that looks like our stove.

If anyone can help with identifying the model of this particular stove, and where it might be possible to get a users’ manual, it would be most appreciated. Aside from that, any comments regarding the capabilities of the stove – e.g., wood only?, bit?, anth?, etc. – would be great to help to us!

Thanks very much. Cheers!

Attachments

Brunco_Front_View.jpg

Front view; glass door removes completely by two quarter-turn latches

.JPG | 289.1KB | Brunco_Front_View.jpg
Brunco_RS_View.jpg

Right-side view

.JPG | 38.3KB | Brunco_RS_View.jpg
Brunco_Firebox_View.jpg

Firebox

.JPG | 48.3KB | Brunco_Firebox_View.jpg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 10:35 am

Rare model, maybe early prototype???
Brunco's were built for soft coal but not to say it couldn't be fiddled with and manage some anthracite.

Still in business as a stove sales and pellet fuel dealer but no more mfg'ring of their stove line.
They did have some replacement parts for their product line a while back, but do not know how that has held up over time.
They built some tough stoves as there are still plenty in use still today.

mavery1763

Post by mavery1763 » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I found the Brunks website and saw that they are now focused on RV sales, wood pellets and other manufacturers' stoves.

I'm finding a lot of good information on this site that will be helpful, but I'll probably end up calling a tech to come out and check over the installation since we don't have a history with the stove.

Cheers!

Flyhigh8000
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Brunco firelite
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Flyhigh8000 » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 6:39 pm

You have Brunco firelite made in 1981. I have the exact same stove and have been burning anthracite in it for 20+ years. I control the air flow by the ash pan door and you must I repeat you must keep the ash pan empty!! If not you’ll warp your grates. I keep the two spinner knobs on the front open and keep the ash pan open about a 1/4 “ that works for me. We have 2,000 sq ft house and it keeps in the mid 80’s. Hopes this helps.

Flyhigh8000

Post by Flyhigh8000 » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Flyhigh8000 wrote:
Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 6:39 pm
You have Brunco firelite made in 1981. I have the exact same stove and have been burning anthracite in it for 20+ years. I control the air flow by the ash pan door and you must I repeat you must keep the ash pan empty!! If not you’ll warp your grates. I keep the two spinner knobs on the front open and keep the ash pan open about a 1/4 “ that works for me. We have 2,000 sq ft house and it keeps in the mid 80’s. Hopes this helps.

Attachments

2CB813BE-1CE3-4B2E-853F-967D3E7D180C.jpeg
.JPEG | 991KB | 2CB813BE-1CE3-4B2E-853F-967D3E7D180C.jpeg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Nice! See you have the firebox size reduced with what looks like a piece of angle iron.

Flyhigh8000

Post by Flyhigh8000 » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Yes it’s flat stock steel with a angle iron welded, it just burns so much more efficient. Without it I would use so much more coal with the same result.

mavery1763

Post by mavery1763 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Flyhigh8000!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 12:08 pm

And this,Boys and Girls,is how We help each Other out! Brunks still supports what was made,but Our Dear Friends at the EPA helped them out of the Stove Manufacturing Business,as I've been told..... Sorry i hadn't been around to throw You any info 'till now! It looks like other Friends from the N.E. Ohio helped You out! Good Show!

Bruncofirelite1981
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Brunco fire lite
Coal Size/Type: Nutt size

Post by Bruncofirelite1981 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 3:04 am

I just recently acquired the same stove and refurbished it. I love it and mainly been burning wood however I am now tinkering with coal. What are the dimensions for that firebox reducer? I measured 8 inches wide and 10.5 long as a guess? Is that correct

Flyhigh8000

Post by Flyhigh8000 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 7:58 am

I would say 10.5” long is spot on, the width I’m not sure. I fit mine so no air can get around it. Hope this helps.

Bruncofirelite1981

Post by Bruncofirelite1981 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 8:51 am

Ok thank you very much sir! Any other advice?

Flyhigh8000

Post by Flyhigh8000 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 9:29 am

Don’t get frustrated, anthracite is a different breed. With wood air from above, with anthracite air from below. Once you figure it out, you will enjoy the warmth of anthracite. Any other questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Bruncofirelite1981

Post by Bruncofirelite1981 » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 2:56 pm

Flyhigh8000, it's been While but I hope all is well with you everyone else that helped. 2nd winter now with this stove (same one you have) and going good so far. That firebox reducer I got made off your specs working great! Quick question though sir, what is the best way to keep anthracite coal going for extended periods of time? I didn't have the fire box last winter built and just piled up a bunch of coal and when I left for the knight I threw an un cut log on top and that worked. Lately though with the reducer, I come home after 5 hours and it's almost dead and or dead? Sometimes with a good amount of coal left over all white and charcoaled colored?? Airflow issue? I did have the door damper open and just reread your post about only the two bottom dampers on and ash pan a quarter inch out....trying that tonight ? I work thirds and can't always make it home to check on it and it's been getting down to 8 degrees and need to be efficient with this ir my electric furnace kicks on and my bill shoots through the roof!

Flyhigh8000

Post by Flyhigh8000 » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Hello, As far as keeping it going when I’m not home to tend to it. Before I leave I get a really good hot bed of coals going to the top of the fire brick on the left-hand side if you’re looking in to the stove from the side. And just keep the ash pan open About a quarter of an inch.As far as keeping it going while I am here, I just give a vigorous shake to the grates about every three hours or so. If it wants to die I sometimes like to slide kindling under the cold bed and on top of the greats that seems to stoke it up. If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to p.m me. Glad to help [email protected]

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”