Cool Video About Bituminious Coal

Hand fed coal boilers and furnaces using bituminous coal to heat your home or business. Hand fed stoves as the name implies require manual feeding and air adjustments.
DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post Sun. May. 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Long live coal. Enjoy.

Includes video of coal stokers in peoples homes.
Matt

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: BairMatic BMC-500 with Van Wert VA400 Stoker, Gentleman Janitor GJ-671/EFM S-15 stoker, Van Wert VA-600
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post Sun. May. 07, 2017 7:32 pm

There is a couple of nice shiny new conversion stokers in there. I couldn't read the name on them but one was probably an Iron Fireman. The other was the right color to be a Winkler but I don't think that was the name on it.

Interesting that "coal tar" was used to make everything from creosote to artificial flavoring!

-Don
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved by lighting something on fire.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sun. May. 07, 2017 8:08 pm

No respirators. Is the video from circa 1945 - 1950? Or does it go back even further than that?

Edit: It's from 1941. If I wasn't half blind, I would have seen it in the title right at the start...
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post Sun. May. 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you (Richard?) for moving it. I was not sure where to post it seeing how there's no Bituminous Coal history section and I didn't know if it should go in the regular Bituminous section. I too was amazed at all the by-products and the machinery used for mining and processing. The coal pier was pretty impressive.
Matt

CoalHeat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post Sun. May. 07, 2017 9:49 pm

I enjoyed watching that, thanks for posting it.
Heating a circa 1832 farmhouse with a Harman Magnafire Mark I & a 1959 EFM 350 (heating DHW).
100% Oil Free!
"It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts."

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”