NTM Warm Morning 400 in Upstate NY

coalturkey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Oakland #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: blaschek nut

Post by coalturkey » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 8:47 pm

As near as I can see, the only adjustment would be to rotate the bi-metallic spring to add tension to the rod that lifts the door. Does the bi-metallic spring respond to temp changes? If it is bending the rod and the flap is closed, I think you would need to loosen the spring and rotate it some. With the control at the top the flap should be closed. at the bottom, the flap should be open all the way if the stove is cold. Mine has a stove bolt through the spring and it looks like it could be loosened and rotated. I never have touched mine and it works perfectly. First see if the spring responds the temp changes.

coalturkey

Post by coalturkey » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 8:54 pm

In re-reading your post, the spring doesn't push the flap open, it lifts the flap. So, if the flat link is bending, I would really have to think that you need to loosen the small bolt in the center of the spring and rotate it some so that as the temp decreases the spring raises the flap and conversely as the temp increases the spring would lower or close the flap. I hope this helps.

Dremel
Stoker Coal Boiler: William Myers
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning 400

Post by Dremel » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 10:12 pm

I think you were right the first time. The lever rotates the spring down, springs pushes on flat link to open door.

I found this thread and tried adjusting the spring but the door is too hard to open.
My Warm Morning Project - Thoughts?

I can push it down and the draft door will open but the spring just bends.

I guess I make sure the draft door isn't gunked up or too sticky for whatever reason.

Thanks,
B

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Dremel wrote:I think you were right the first time. The lever rotates the spring down, springs pushes on flat link to open door.

I found this thread and tried adjusting the spring but the door is too hard to open.

I guess I make sure the draft door isn't gunked up or too sticky for whatever reason.

Thanks,
B
this any help

Attachments

Warm Morning Control 20002.jpg
.JPG | 118.5KB | Warm Morning Control 20002.jpg
Warm Morning Control 20001.jpg
.JPG | 148.6KB | Warm Morning Control 20001.jpg

coalturkey

Post by coalturkey » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 8:56 am

I was wrong. The actuator rod pushes down to open the flap. So if the rod just bends the flap must be sticking. My error. Sorry.

Dremel

Post by Dremel » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 4:39 pm

coalturkey wrote:I was wrong. The actuator rod pushes down to open the flap. So if the rod just bends the flap must be sticking. My error. Sorry.
I suppose all I can do it clean it. Can't oil it I imagine.

I'm warm for now. If I try to get to that flap now I'll burn myself up. Just using the manual ash door vent for now. Nice and toasty.

Attachments

_DSC7756.jpg
.JPG | 422.9KB | _DSC7756.jpg

Dremel

Post by Dremel » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 4:41 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Dremel wrote:I think you were right the first time. The lever rotates the spring down, springs pushes on flat link to open door.

Thanks,
B
this any help
Nice find !! Yes, that exactly what I have. It's all there but just not working right.

Thanks !
B

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 4:50 pm

i'm pretty certain the flap hinge is full of rust and fly ash. the rod pushes down from above, BEHIND the hinge, and lifts the flap up and out from the front of the spout.

if the rod is bending that means the spring is working but the flap "arm" isn't moving.

have a can of "rust eater " or "PB Blaster " with the aiming straw ? spritz it, wait, wiggle, repeat. or if you can spritz and scrub with a tooth brush, bottle brush or whatever.

you should be able to see where to work from those pics of the mechanism.

happy heating,
steve

Dremel

Post by Dremel » Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 5:25 pm

All great info folks. I appreciate the help!

B

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Feb. 20, 2017 10:17 am

Oh my! That stove is real nice.

The outside looks great. I'd love to find one in great condition like that on the outside. I'd be satisfied with the brown color, but I'd like to find one in great condition in green like the one my great aunt used to have. However, I don't recall if hers was a 400 or a smaller stove. Looks to be real close to hers though. They always burned east KY bit lump coal in their stove.

Grommet64
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Locke Warm Morning 400

Post by Grommet64 » Thu. Dec. 07, 2023 1:48 pm

Anyone have a WM 400 manual by chance??

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”