WM Stove Temps

jsplott
Hand Fed Coal Stove: researching now

Post by jsplott » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 11:05 am

I want to say thanks for the assistance given a few months ago prior to buying my wm's. I have a 617a and a 400 (617a in the house and 400 in the basement) that I have been using for my first season of burning the little black rocks. I am using bit mostly but have played with anthracite since TS started selling it. My question for this forum is this...what is considered too hot temperature wise for the stoves? I have a magnetic temp gauge on the 1st section of pipe leaving the stove. When the stove has been running and it is time to reload I have temps climb above 700-800* for a short time then lower as the volatiles burn off. I only load a couple of small shovelfuls at a time until I have a fairly deep bed since I had a BIG puffback once that I assume was caused from loading too much bit at one time. Since this is my first season I am being cautious til I learn the stoves quirks. I have a mpd but no baro installed yet. MPD was open at time of puffback as well as loading door vent. bottom vent open roughly 3/4". Once stove settles down I can heat the house with mild OAT with stove around 200*. Appreciate any advice.

Shannon

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 11:43 am

Try leaving a corner or glowing coals exposed should help with puff backs.

800 sounds high for a surface reading on stove pipe. I would check for air leaks sounds also like you have a high volatile coal.

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 11:55 am

I have been leaving coals exposed like you suggested and it has helped. I'm still loading the coal slowly as well. When I got the 617 I took it apart resealing and replacing nuts and bolts as I put it back together then used stove polish to re-black the stove. I hope its fairly well sealed after that but there's a chance it could be leaking air through somewhere I guess. Thanks for quick reply.

corey

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 11:59 am

jsplott wrote:I have been leaving coals exposed like you suggested and it has helped. I'm still loading the coal slowly as well. When I got the 617 I took it apart resealing and replacing nuts and bolts as I put it back together then used stove polish to re-black the stove. I hope its fairly well sealed after that but there's a chance it could be leaking air through somewhere I guess. Thanks for quick reply.
What size of bit coal you using also?

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Coal yard called it stoker size. will try to get a pic loaded.

corey

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 12:29 pm

[quote="jsplott"]Coal yard called it stoker size. will try to get a pic loaded.[/quote
If it is stoker it could be part of the problem or it is. Bigger lump coal is best even in my old buck stove stoker was bit hard to control at times.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Stoker size is not your best choice...try getting something baseball or softball sized.

Your stoves will behave total different w/ a bigger sized coal.

What size was the anthracite from TSC?

You're doing good by adding a little coal at a time. ;)

corey

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 12:35 pm

Small stoker coal out gasses quick. The bigger the lumps the slower it will out gas.

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 12:57 pm

I got the stoker size and stove size while I was there. I have used the stove size in the 400 but not the 617. I will try it today after work. Thought it may be too big for 617 but I guess not.

Attachments

IMG_20160718_185436094.jpg

Stove size

.JPG | 258KB | IMG_20160718_185436094.jpg

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Stoker size.

Attachments

IMG_20160906_083911675_HDR.jpg
.JPG | 213.2KB | IMG_20160906_083911675_HDR.jpg

corey

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how the bigger chunks work out.

When I burn stoker I keep the under fire air at sliver open and experiment with the above fire air.
That should keep the coal bed from out gassing rapidly. But I would try bigger chunks as a test.

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 1:47 pm

Will try this weekend and post what results I have. So I'm assuming I start fire as normal and instead of loading the stoker I will load the stove size. A few pieces at a time or load it to top and see what happens? Can't fit many stove size pieces in the 617 I don't think..

corey

Post by corey » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 1:51 pm

jsplott wrote:Will try this weekend and post what results I have. So I'm assuming I start fire as normal and instead of loading the stoker I will load the stove size. A few pieces at a time or load it to top and see what happens? Can't fit many stove size pieces in the 617 I don't think..
I would start slow 2 big size chunks on top of a good bed of embers. If it works out step it up that will give you a feel for it.

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 9:00 pm

I've found using pieces that are at minimum softball size helps a LOT with Bit coal. Another little trick I learned to help with puffbacks is to keep a little wood in the stove with the coal. The wood will keep a open flame in the firebox to burn off gasses before they build to an explosive level. My shop furnace is large so I use pieces about the size of a football in it and rarely have any issues at all. I just buy what they call "run of mine" coal and bust it up myself with a sledgehammer here at home. Makes for a good way to take out pent up anger and frustrations from day to day life.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Run of mine coal here is 3 or 4 huge lumps per ton, with the rest being the consistency of sand.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”