WM Stove Temps

jsplott
Hand Fed Coal Stove: researching now

Post by jsplott » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 9:15 pm

I did a hard burn today with a small amount of coal in stove, actually burning what's left in stove so I could clean the chimney. I guess it will take more than once since it had accumulated so much soot already. I use this stove 3 days a week and have been burning every Fri Sat sun night since end of October. I would hate to see how quick it would have built up if I burned every night. I have been wondering if stove may be too big for the house since I have to run it so low to be comfortable inside...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Just as an experiment, burn a very small fire, very hot and see the difference.

This is what stokers do. A small amount fed steadily. There are underfed units designed for bit coal.

Anthracite coal is the only fuel I know of that can load 12 hours supply into a fire box and burn clean and efficiently. Even then there are limits to how low you can go without creating excessive CO which makes for an inefficient burn.

If you can get anthracite, then that is the way to go. The higher cost is made up for with less work cleaning soot and all around better environment.

A bit stoker is second choice.

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 10:29 pm

I may see if tractor supply has new shipment of anthracite in when I go over this weekend. I have burned it previously and the warm morning 617 and 400 seemed to like it pretty well. Was wanting to burn the bit I hauled in since it was cheaper but I reckon the amount of soot surprised me. Shame to waste the blue dancing ladies hidden behind a windowless stove :D

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Be sure to have working Carbon Monoxide detectors, with at least one being a digital readout. Running the stove that low can cause problems as franco b pointed out.

AlaskaCoal1
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Sequoya Outdoor boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC, Warm Morning 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Beckwith Round Oak
Coal Size/Type: Alaska Sub Bit Lump

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 11:46 am

jsplott wrote:Stove simmered all night and I just added a couple pieces to recharge this morning. So far so good. I can use wood as someone mentioned above but firebox is not big so I have to basically cut my wood to kitchen stove size wood. House is 69* oat below 30* 12 hours since last load. I'm happy.

Shannon
JS when you say all night do you mean for 8 hours?? I am having trouble getting 8 hours out of my WM 500. Yes there is fire left but small amount with little heat output in the 7-8 hour range and it take me a minute to get it up and going again.... meaning my tending time is going up prior to going to work. I am using what they call lump... softball size down to rock skipping size... that is the largest I can get from my mine. WIth the bigger coal I can only put 60# and the stove is full.

Sorry to hear about the soot problem... so far this sub bit is presenting no major problem.

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Alaskacoal1...yes I meant over 8 hours. I have had a hard time getting my 617a dialed in to run the way I want it to run. I'm not sure of the size difference there is between my stove and the 500 you have. One thing I am going to today after work is install a barometric damper and a MPD in the chimney. In another thread I discussed using a manometer to check my chimney draft. My chimney has a super strong draft which I believe is making the stove hard to control/regulate. Hopefully the damper will allow me to get longer burn times. Have you checked your stove for leaks? You may have air leaking in affecting your burn times as well.

Shannon

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 5:11 pm

"New" Warm Morning 500

JS: Above is a link to a thread I found to help me with my WM.. I also posted on it a good bit and got lots of help. My WM was totally out of control and my strong drafting chimney was the cause. Page 6 shows some pics of a home built rosemont I did that dialed it in and got the burn times to where they are today.. still not what I want and yes probably because of air leaks that I have and can not really fix unless I tear it apart.

My chimney was running 1.5 up to 2 even and now with the rosemont, MPD and Baro I am getting .03-.05. If you did this you might get super long burn times.

How many pounds of coal are you able to add to fill it up and what type of coal are you using, lump, pea, nut, stove etc. Also it may be that the Alaska sub bit is just not comparable in burn time expectations as other bit coal.. that I can not test.

Best of luck

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 7:23 pm

On a 60* day I had up to 1.7 on my draft. I started using bit coal stoker (nut) size and switched to stove (grapefruit+) size a few weeks ago. I like the bigger size because it seems the volatiles burn off slower resulting in fewer puffbacks. I have burned anthracite and it does really well. I thought about copying your setup but will try baro and mpd first. May have to relearn the stove if this baro drastically changes the stove operation.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Wow--1.7 on 60 degree day... yea that is a vacuum cleaner of a chimney. Others may weigh in here but I would bet on a cold day you are well over 2. If you are getting 8 hours out of it with that kind of draft slowing it down will get you 10 to 12 easy I would bet.

The baro is awesome... I doubt you will need to learn much.. only thing for me was starting it up with little fire. I close the baro to allow it to really draft then close it up when it gets rolling. If you do not have a manometer I highly suggest one. I have one mounted and constantly measure the shop WM.

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 8:50 pm

My manometer was waiting on me when I got home just now. Will install baro, mpd and mount mano tomorrow and test it out. Supposed to be warm again tomorrow but gonna be lit and tested anyway lol.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 9:07 pm

JS-- I hear you... warm here to.. we are were 20 today much better than the -30 we have been seeing.

Also hook the plastic tubes to a brake to keep them from melting.

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 7:36 pm

I got the mano, new mpd and baro installed this morning. I am very impressed with the change in this stove. Even though it is warm weather...again...stove has behaved very nice, draft in chimney has consistently been .03-.05 all day. Loaded with anthracite this morning and it's just cruising right along. Maybe some cold weather will come in sometime soon. Thanks everybody.

Shannon

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Fantastic :D :D

much of the old literature and notes for the WM's point to that range of draft control for best performance and economy.

wait till you need to open the primary to get more heat while maintaining that Mano. reading, you're going to love it.

thanks for the tip on the WM # 524's, you should post that link here in case someone wants them.

steve

jsplott

Post by jsplott » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Kingcoal I just posted it in the hand fired stove section. Thanks for suggesting that I add the link. Will post in this section as well.

Shannon

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”