My Warm Morning Project - Thoughts?

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 11:40 pm

KingCoal wrote:here's link to a WM manual I had been looking for. it has a comment about setting baro. for -.02
".02" Thats interesting... That comment must have come from someone at Locke Stove, as a brochure (link below) has the same name "Rich" noted on it as well and looks like the notation was written by the same person.
WMBrochure.pdf
.PDF | 396.2KB | WMBrochure.pdf

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Sun. Dec. 25, 2016 1:14 am

KingCoal wrote:here's a thought, with the fire at about 1/2 way thru your tending window ( say 6 hrs. since last tending ) open the MPD fully. set the Baro. to open at -.04, then close the MPD what ever it takes to hold -.02 / -.03 and see how you heat output and fuel use goes.
Did this first and been monitoring draft, temps, and coal use for a couple of weeks to get an idea of an average.
KingCoal wrote:if you have time and are so inclined you should install a "T" in your black pipe and install a Baro. for a while and see how it goes, then cap the "T" shut and try that a while and report back. many people will be interested in your experiences.
Now what I have experienced with the baro, set at approximately .04-.05, (need to add washers to get lower).

With the regulator set to a lower setting, MPD closed, I get 250* on the thermometer I have on the pipe between stove and MPD closed, draft does run .02 /-.03 minimal coal use as I only have to empty the ash pan every other day.

With the regulator set 2 notches higher, MPD closed, I get 400* on the thermometer and draft is at .04 and have to empty ash pan every day. Now if I want to raise the temp to 450* I open the ash door vent a little and the draft stays the same.

Now with the baro covered:
Regulator set to same lower setting, MPD closed. I get the same temps but the draft is a little higher .04, and coal use is the same.

With the regulator set same 2 notches higher, MPD closed, once again same temps 400*, draft is at .05 and coal use is the same. As above if I open the ash door vent the same I get the 450* but the draft goes to .06. However I did try to go up to 500* but draft went up to .07+ so I backed it down

So bottom line as far as performance goes with what I did above I didn't notice a negotiable difference, with the exception of pushing it to 500*. So personal preference I'm sticking with using the baro.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”