Burning Bit in a Base Burner?

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 9:17 am

Anyone doing it?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 9:36 am

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 9:43 am

Fig,

Ill suggest you need not read any further..... ;)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 10:50 am

They are designed to burn anthracite. Anything else is just a kick in the nuts. :lol:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 11:21 am

I'd like to see something like a Glenwood 6 on Bit coal once, just to see what would happen. I know the soot would be a big problem though.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 11:47 am

it would only take ONE serious "puff" with vol's all down the internal passageways and you would have some significant problems. :shock: :shock: :oops:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:07 pm

KingCoal wrote:it would only take ONE serious "puff" with vol's all down the internal passageways and you would have some significant problems. :shock: :shock: :oops:
I think the term is, "grenading the stove". :shock:

Paul

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:08 pm

KingCoal wrote:it would only take ONE serious "puff" with vol's all down the internal passageways and you would have some significant problems. :shock: :shock: :oops:
Now here is my problem with that. Several on here have had major puffbacks with Anthracite. Severe enough to dislodge the flue pipes from the stoves, as well as blow barometric dampers across the room, and bust the glass out of stoves. That my friend is no different than Bit coal.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:19 pm

i could be seriously mistaken but it was my impression that Bit vol's. are significantly richer, released much faster and in higher volume than those of Anth.

i'm a serious chicken about this sort of thing though so .................................

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:28 pm

I've used quite a few different types of Bit coal. Some are more volatile than others, that's for sure. The stuff I'm currently using is about 'mid-range' in the different Bit coals I've used. The 'Big Vein' coal I used was the lowest volatility of any of the ones I've used, and there was no soot with it........just flyash. The coal from the Masontown mine was the highest, It's the coal that blew flames over 6 feet out of my load door.
I am curious about the use of Bit in a baseburner though.

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:48 pm

I have burned bit im my G6................. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Long story short, early December I bought 15bags of nut anthracite from a buddy who just bought a house with a box stove insert. He is all about the pellet stoves, I tried to convert him to our black rock way of life but nope he traded the insert for a pellet stove. Any who, the brand was from a local coal distributor I don't remember the name. It was well sized clean and burned beautifully. One of the bags I bought was a clear plastic bag filled with smaller sized stuff like large pea size and it had no shine to it what so ever. well I saved that bag for last, and the day I filled my hod will be the first and last time I burn bit EVER. when I dumped it on the pot big smokey Yellow flames erupted. The fire smoked for hours after I loaded it even after the volitals were lit. The Stink was another thing Bit smoke gave me a headache, it smelled like a burning tire, and the ash clinked together way to easy.

The stuff is nasty, I give anyone who burns Bit credit, I don't mean to offend anyone that dose but ill never burn that donkey crap again in my life......................

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Canaan coal man wrote:I have burned bit im my G6................. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Long story short, early December I bought 15bags of nut anthracite from a buddy who just bought a house with a box stove insert. He is all about the pellet stoves, I tried to convert him to our black rock way of life but nope he traded the insert for a pellet stove. Any who, the brand was from a local coal distributor I don't remember the name. It was well sized clean and burned beautifully. One of the bags I bought was a clear plastic bag filled with smaller sized stuff like large pea size and it had no shine to it what so ever. well I saved that bag for last, and the day I filled my hod will be the first and last time I burn bit EVER. when I dumped it on the pot big smokey Yellow flames erupted. The fire smoked for hours after I loaded it even after the volitals were lit. The Stink was another thing Bit smoke gave me a headache, it smelled like a burning tire, and the ash clinked together way to easy.

The stuff is nasty, I give anyone who burns Bit credit, I don't mean to offend anyone that dose but ill never burn that donkey crap again in my life......................
All the Bit coals I've burned have smoked to varying degrees, except the Big Vein. It would burn clean after the initial volatiles burned off. But it would melt into a big mass and had to be broken up after about the first hour of loading. The only size of the Big Vein I could get was about the size of 'Pea Anthracite'. It was a pain to mess with, but I got the same heat value from 5 tons of it, as I got from 12 to 14 tons of any other bit coal I've used.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 1:20 pm

With a base heater like a Glenwood #6, the back pipe flues and base chambers only way to release explosive pressure is through the flues, and/or, through the clean out door directly under the ash pan. Or to crack open seams that don't have much in the way of fasteners to hold them closed to begin with.

And, with it's greater surface area exposed to an explosive pressure wave, I'd be worried about cracking that fragile floor pan of the base chamber.

Paul

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:With a base heater like a Glenwood #6, the back pipe flues and base chambers only way to release explosive pressure is through the flues, and/or, through the clean out door directly under the ash pan. Or to crack open seams that don't have much in the way of fasteners to hold them closed to begin with.

And, with it's greater surface area exposed to an explosive pressure wave, I'd be worried about cracking that fragile floor pan of the base chamber.

Paul
And this is the part that I can't wrap my feeble mind around. Both coals can be highly explosive given the right conditions. The coal I'm using right now works beautiful, as long as I leave some glowing coals to burn off the volatiles. The only time I get a puffback, is if I get the coals really, really hot before adding fresh.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 2:12 pm

I wouldn't burn bit in in it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”