Burning Bit in a Base Burner?

fig
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri. Feb. 12, 2016 2:36 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3
Other Heating: woodstock fireview, enviro omega
Stove/Furnace Make: Propane

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 9:17 am

Anyone doing it?


User avatar
wsherrick
Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 6:04 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size
Location: High In The Poconos

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 9:36 am

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waldo lemieux
Member
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun. Sep. 30, 2012 8:20 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20
Location: Ithaca,NY

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 9:43 am

Fig,

Ill suggest you need not read any further..... ;)

User avatar
Lightning
Member
Posts: 8426
Joined: Wed. Nov. 16, 2011 9:51 am
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size
Location: Olean, NY

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 10:50 am

They are designed to burn anthracite. Anything else is just a kick in the nuts. :lol:

User avatar
SWPaDon
Member
Posts: 9966
Joined: Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace
Location: Southwest Pa.

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 11:21 am

I'd like to see something like a Glenwood 6 on Bit coal once, just to see what would happen. I know the soot would be a big problem though.

KingCoal
Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 3-Locke Warm Morning #120, 1-Locke Warm Morning #524B
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Location: Elkhart county, IN.

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 11:47 am

it would only take ONE serious "puff" with vol's all down the internal passageways and you would have some significant problems. :shock: :shock: :oops:

Sunny Boy
Member
Posts: 12910
Joined: Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 1:40 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace
Location: Central NY

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:07 pm

KingCoal wrote:it would only take ONE serious "puff" with vol's all down the internal passageways and you would have some significant problems. :shock: :shock: :oops:
I think the term is, "grenading the stove". :shock:

Paul

User avatar
SWPaDon
Member
Posts: 9966
Joined: Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace
Location: Southwest Pa.

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:08 pm

KingCoal wrote:it would only take ONE serious "puff" with vol's all down the internal passageways and you would have some significant problems. :shock: :shock: :oops:
Now here is my problem with that. Several on here have had major puffbacks with Anthracite. Severe enough to dislodge the flue pipes from the stoves, as well as blow barometric dampers across the room, and bust the glass out of stoves. That my friend is no different than Bit coal.


KingCoal
Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed. Apr. 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 3-Locke Warm Morning #120, 1-Locke Warm Morning #524B
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none
Location: Elkhart county, IN.

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:19 pm

i could be seriously mistaken but it was my impression that Bit vol's. are significantly richer, released much faster and in higher volume than those of Anth.

i'm a serious chicken about this sort of thing though so .................................

User avatar
SWPaDon
Member
Posts: 9966
Joined: Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace
Location: Southwest Pa.

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:28 pm

I've used quite a few different types of Bit coal. Some are more volatile than others, that's for sure. The stuff I'm currently using is about 'mid-range' in the different Bit coals I've used. The 'Big Vein' coal I used was the lowest volatility of any of the ones I've used, and there was no soot with it........just flyash. The coal from the Masontown mine was the highest, It's the coal that blew flames over 6 feet out of my load door.
I am curious about the use of Bit in a baseburner though.

User avatar
Canaan coal man
Member
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 12:37 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut
Location: East Canaan, CT

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 12:48 pm

I have burned bit im my G6................. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Long story short, early December I bought 15bags of nut anthracite from a buddy who just bought a house with a box stove insert. He is all about the pellet stoves, I tried to convert him to our black rock way of life but nope he traded the insert for a pellet stove. Any who, the brand was from a local coal distributor I don't remember the name. It was well sized clean and burned beautifully. One of the bags I bought was a clear plastic bag filled with smaller sized stuff like large pea size and it had no shine to it what so ever. well I saved that bag for last, and the day I filled my hod will be the first and last time I burn bit EVER. when I dumped it on the pot big smokey Yellow flames erupted. The fire smoked for hours after I loaded it even after the volitals were lit. The Stink was another thing Bit smoke gave me a headache, it smelled like a burning tire, and the ash clinked together way to easy.

The stuff is nasty, I give anyone who burns Bit credit, I don't mean to offend anyone that dose but ill never burn that donkey crap again in my life......................

User avatar
SWPaDon
Member
Posts: 9966
Joined: Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace
Location: Southwest Pa.

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Canaan coal man wrote:I have burned bit im my G6................. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Long story short, early December I bought 15bags of nut anthracite from a buddy who just bought a house with a box stove insert. He is all about the pellet stoves, I tried to convert him to our black rock way of life but nope he traded the insert for a pellet stove. Any who, the brand was from a local coal distributor I don't remember the name. It was well sized clean and burned beautifully. One of the bags I bought was a clear plastic bag filled with smaller sized stuff like large pea size and it had no shine to it what so ever. well I saved that bag for last, and the day I filled my hod will be the first and last time I burn bit EVER. when I dumped it on the pot big smokey Yellow flames erupted. The fire smoked for hours after I loaded it even after the volitals were lit. The Stink was another thing Bit smoke gave me a headache, it smelled like a burning tire, and the ash clinked together way to easy.

The stuff is nasty, I give anyone who burns Bit credit, I don't mean to offend anyone that dose but ill never burn that donkey crap again in my life......................
All the Bit coals I've burned have smoked to varying degrees, except the Big Vein. It would burn clean after the initial volatiles burned off. But it would melt into a big mass and had to be broken up after about the first hour of loading. The only size of the Big Vein I could get was about the size of 'Pea Anthracite'. It was a pain to mess with, but I got the same heat value from 5 tons of it, as I got from 12 to 14 tons of any other bit coal I've used.

Sunny Boy
Member
Posts: 12910
Joined: Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 1:40 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace
Location: Central NY

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 1:20 pm

With a base heater like a Glenwood #6, the back pipe flues and base chambers only way to release explosive pressure is through the flues, and/or, through the clean out door directly under the ash pan. Or to crack open seams that don't have much in the way of fasteners to hold them closed to begin with.

And, with it's greater surface area exposed to an explosive pressure wave, I'd be worried about cracking that fragile floor pan of the base chamber.

Paul

User avatar
SWPaDon
Member
Posts: 9966
Joined: Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace
Location: Southwest Pa.

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:With a base heater like a Glenwood #6, the back pipe flues and base chambers only way to release explosive pressure is through the flues, and/or, through the clean out door directly under the ash pan. Or to crack open seams that don't have much in the way of fasteners to hold them closed to begin with.

And, with it's greater surface area exposed to an explosive pressure wave, I'd be worried about cracking that fragile floor pan of the base chamber.

Paul
And this is the part that I can't wrap my feeble mind around. Both coals can be highly explosive given the right conditions. The coal I'm using right now works beautiful, as long as I leave some glowing coals to burn off the volatiles. The only time I get a puffback, is if I get the coals really, really hot before adding fresh.

User avatar
corey
Member
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri. Nov. 14, 2014 11:14 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: USS Ashley coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous
Location: Southwest VA

Post Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 2:12 pm

I wouldn't burn bit in in it.


Post Reply

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”