Secondary Air for Buck Combo Stove

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Off topic but my elbow coming out of my stove caught fire this morning. It sounded like corn flakes and the smell. I thought coal soot did not burn unless some gooey wood soot dripped from cap. Any ideas.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:28 pm

I've only been burning Bit coal for 8 or 10 years, but I've never been able to get the soot to catch fire per say. I did take a pile of soot one time and stick a propane torch to it, and what I got was a smallish flame that moved across the top of it very quickly (I couldn't replicate it with that same pile of soot, even after stirring it).........similar to putting a match near a sweater and the fuzzy ends burn off.

Did you burn wood before, where creosote could have built up some, then broke loose and fell into the elbow?

corey

Post by corey » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:35 pm

SWPaDon wrote:I've only been burning Bit coal for 8 or 10 years, but I've never been able to get the soot to catch fire per say. I did take a pile of soot one time and stick a propane torch to it, and what I got was a smallish flame that moved across the top of it very quickly (I couldn't replicate it with that same pile of soot, even after stirring it).........similar to putting a match near a sweater and the fuzzy ends burn off.

Did you burn wood before, where creosote could have built up some, then broke loose and fell into the elbow?
Yeah but I cleaned the chimney but not cap. Been burning all coal for about 2 weeks. My probe stayed at 1300 degrees for five minutes air completely closed too.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:38 pm

That's what it was then, creosote that fell down to the elbow from somewhere. There's no way Bituminous coal soot is going to burn at 1300 degrees for 5 minutes.

corey

Post by corey » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:43 pm

SWPaDon wrote:That's what it was then, creosote that fell down to the elbow from somewhere. There's no way Bituminous coal soot is going to burn at 1300 degrees for 5 minutes.
I feel safer burning coal this morning had my nerves in a tissy. I hope coal soot don't burn like that.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Is it possible that the coals gasses were burning off? When I open my secondary air with a fresh load I have flames shooting several feet into my chimney sometimes. It will make a roar sound like a chimney fire (I heard a real chimney fire once when I was young)

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Coal burning will dry out any creosote buildup, causing it to flake off and fall down. I believe that is what you experienced.

corey

Post by corey » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 1:08 pm

SWPaDon wrote:Coal burning will dry out any creosote buildup, causing it to flake off and fall down. I believe that is what you experienced.
I think so to.

corey

Post by corey » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Added more coal tonight stove seems to be burning better. Seem that flue fire cleaned the elbow.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Feb. 11, 2016 4:08 am

YIKES!!!! :shock:

I burn primarily anthracite but when momma wants some flames I throw a couple of logs on top and they give her the flame she likes to see. Every time I do that I think about creosote and then I remind myself two small logs every other week or so ain't gonna do anything. I do notice after I burn some logs with the anthracite I get a light brown coating of very light powdery dust inside the stove and flue pipe.

Glad everything turned out good for you and there was no damage from your 5 minute fire. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”