Vigilant 2310 and Bituminous Coal.

Tran65

Post by Tran65 » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 7:18 pm

There is a good chance I might be moving from eastern to western Pennsylvania. My question is how well does the vigilant 2310 do with bituminous coal? Anyone out there using one? Tried the search function but I could not find a specific Vigilant bituminous thread. Thanks in advance.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 7:43 pm

There were at least 2 members that have run bit in the Vigilant II. Member SAU was in the Wyoming Powder River Basin and the other was from the area you're heading to as I recall. Can't recall anymore at the moment.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Jan. 11, 2016 8:58 am

Make sure that the restricter plate gets put back into the stove if it has been on Anthracite. To burn bit coal it needs that restricter plate.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jan. 11, 2016 12:49 pm

That restrictor plate has me confused. Blocking primary air with no provision for a great deal of secondary air seems like a bad idea to me. I don't think I would even try bit in that stove, but instead make an effort to locate anthracite in that area, or get a stove better suited to bit.

Jmb02
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite; nut

Post by Jmb02 » Mon. Jan. 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Tran65 wrote:There is a good chance I might be moving from eastern to western Pennsylvania. My question is how well does the vigilant 2310 do with bituminous coal? Anyone out there using one? Tried the search function but I could not find a specific Vigilant bituminous thread. Thanks in advance.
What part of western PA might you move to Trans65? I live 10 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. We have plenty of people around here that sell anthracite. It costs $265 a ton (i have no idea what this stuff sells for else ware) but its defiantly not hard to come by.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”