Bituminous Coal in Energy King 480Ek

crzybowhntr
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480EK

Post by crzybowhntr » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 11:05 am

Anyone here burning bit coal in an energy king furnace?

Thanks to all the threads on how to burn anthracite coal I have done that with great success but anthracite is expensive as I can the best bit coal in my area for $47 a ton as my dad works at a mine here. Of course it hasn't dropped below 50 degrees here so I haven't had the need to fire up the furnace as I have a natural gas furnace, too. My gas is free but it peters out on me after I use it during cold weather. The well its saturated and needs baled.
Last edited by crzybowhntr on Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 11:36 am

crzybowhntr wrote:Anyone here burning bit coal in an energy king furnace?

Thanks to all the threads on how to burn anthracite coal I have done that with great success but anthracite is expensive as I can the best bit coal in my area for $47 a ton as my dad is the safety director of a mine here. Of course it hasn't dropped below 50 degrees here so I haven't had the need to fire up the furnace as I have a natural gas furnace, too. My gas is free but it peters out on me after I use it during cold weather. The well its saturated and needs baled.
Welcome to the Forum!!! It's kinda slow right now. We do have some bit burners and they will check in eventually. hang in there as someone will get to it that burns bit. While your waiting look up at the top right corner of the screen and you'll see a search box. Type in energy king, or burning bit, or any other search term. It'll keep you busy till someone checks in.... :lol:

crzybowhntr

Post by crzybowhntr » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks Rev.

I'm in no rush.

Also, I think I've read every thread on the forum. Lol

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm not using an Energy King furnace, I have a Clayton 1600m.

If you made any modifications on your furnace to burn anthracite, undo them. Bit coal burns much the same as wood does. Bit coal generally needs more over the fire air than under. Just be careful when first learning Bit coal, as it can go nuclear very quickly. Be ready to shut all the air down to control Bit coal.

EDIT: and especially important, never ever completely cover your firebed with coal. The resulting puffback can blow the pipes off the furnace.

crzybowhntr

Post by crzybowhntr » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 2:50 pm

I've not modified it. All I've done was turn the front and rear plates around to allow and/or restrict the air flow depending on which fuel I was burning.

Thanks for the info! Hoping it'll chill down a bit Sunday so I can fire it up.

crzybowhntr

Post by crzybowhntr » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 2:52 pm

So I don't fill it up like I have been with anthracite?

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 2:54 pm

No sir, most bit coal from around here will fuse together, and it needs broken up partway thru the burn cycle to keep heating well.

crzybowhntr

Post by crzybowhntr » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks!!

SW PA huh. Maybe you know where blacksville, wv is? That's where the coal came from.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Dec. 26, 2015 3:56 pm

I know where Blacksville is. I can't say as to whether I used coal from there or not. I purchased my coal from Stardust Coal in Smithfield, Pa. and I'm not sure where they purchased it from.

The coal I currently have is very, very smoky and does fuse together very quickly. I make at least 8 trips per per 16 hour day downstairs to tend the furnace. Your furnace may work better than mine though. All you can do is try a ton of Bit coal and see what happens, unless your dad knows someone who is burning it that you can talk to.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”