Warm Morning Without Firebricks

fizban
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 77B
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400B
Coal Size/Type: Bit various sizes
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by fizban » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 3:49 pm

I can get my hands on one of the smaller radiant warm morning stoves. The stove and grate appear to be in good shape, but it does look to be missing all firebricks including the corner ones. Would,this still be worthwhile or safe to use with bit coal? Price on it is 100. I really have not found any around here for reasonable prices. Thanks.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 6:41 pm

If you have not bought it. Then don't, those bricks are a must have, without them you might as well have a KingOHeat stove. The tars and oils in bit coal will just go up the flue and be wasted.

If you had just one corner brick you could make all the bricks you need for the stove yourself. There are many forum members that have 100+ year old stoves that have custom made liners and fire bricks in them.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum and thanks for asking this question.

i have 5 various warm morning stoves and can tell you that under NO CONDITIONS should you burn ANYTHING in that stove without proper firebricks in it. it will be merely a matter of minutes before the barrel burns thru and you have a SERIOUS problem on your hands.

these stoves have very thin barrels that were intended to hold the protective fire bricks in place and nothing more. depending on what model we are talking about you might be able to get bricks but it's going to be EXPENSIVE most of them are in the $80.00 and above range EACH.

personally, any one of these stoves that doesn't have a full set of usable bricks as well as grates, and all lids, doors etc. is just a pass in my book. I've looked at alot of them and passed on 15 that didn't cut it.

best of luck,
steve

fizban
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 77B
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400B
Coal Size/Type: Bit various sizes
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by fizban » Thu. Dec. 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Thanks everybody for the advice. I think I'll pass on this one and keep an eye out for a more complete unit. Thanks.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”