Advice for First Time Burning

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Nov. 15, 2015 5:08 pm

cHAM85 wrote:Well , ive experimented a bit more since starting this post and have gotten another load of what seems to be a better burning more controllable coal. Ive done a good deal of research on here and it has really helped me to get a better understanding since being new to burning coal. Although luckily it hasnt been too overly cold what I have been doing is getting a good bed of wood coals, push them towards the back of the furnace and load the fresh coal towards the front only covering a few of the hot coals. The coal I have burns great this way and after 2-3 hours of breaking up the crust I can push it back throw more fresh in. What I am looking for advice on is my secondary air. I let my forced draft fan run for about 30 mins after loading fresh coal then shut it off and ease back on the secondary air. It seems to be burning cleaner by doing this by lack of thick smoke and less soot. I was kicking around the idea of installing a spin damper on my load door for my secondary in hopes of cleaning things up even more or would this be a wasted effort ?
Nothing beats a try, but a failure. It won't hurt anything, so give it a shot and let us know what happens.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”