Coal Fired Hot Water? I Need Help!

Townsonbck

Post by Townsonbck » Sat. Feb. 02, 2008 8:20 pm

I am trying to run my hot water through my stove. I have my heat exchanger and my tank. Have a bronze taco 007 pump and a regulater and blow off valve. My question is what do I do if the water gets to hot. boiling point! How or what can I do to cool it off besides running the water in the house.If I make a loop what do I need for hard ware to automaticly open to take the loop. I'm not to sure what I want to do here.
Thank you
Juston

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Feb. 04, 2008 12:49 pm

If there is too much heat and pressure in the system your PRV will open and let out the pressure. You could always run the extra heat through a baseboard or into a tub so the PRV doesn't blow off. I also wouldn't suggest making a loop unless you really know what you're doing. There are several companies that sell coils ready made.
Last edited by traderfjp on Mon. Feb. 04, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Feb. 04, 2008 12:54 pm

like a baseboard heater? how bout some pex tubing in a 12x12 slab........would that be too much? i'm seriously thinking about a hot water coil myself.....i don't use a huge amount of hot water so most of it would go to heat in a baseboard heater?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Feb. 04, 2008 12:59 pm

You can loop it through a hot water heater. EFM Boiler Cold Water in Shower

coalpower

Post by coalpower » Wed. Aug. 19, 2009 2:31 pm

I actually unwired the thermostats on my electric hot water tank and set the temp at 130* on the bottom one. I use it as a switch to turn the taco pump on when the tank gets cold and off when the tank gets hot. I installed a tee in the drain and the pump comes off of there. And a tee where the relief valve goes put the valve back in the tee and this is where the heated water returns from the heat exchanger at the furnace. My furnace has two pumps. One at the water tank and one at the furnace that takes the furnace water and circulates it thru the exchanger. The switch turns both pumps on and off at the same time. I had to run an extra wire out to the furnace just For this. It's a $55.00 a month savings on electric.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”