Burning Coal in a Wood Furnace and Stove

links_56

Post by links_56 » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Hey you guys are great!! I really appreciate the help. I hate forums you go to and they just tell you to "google" it! Thanks to the idoits who called the fire dept on me. Now there inspecting my house and trying to catch me up on a bunch of code violations. What did I do to them!Whats this world coming to? You can't live in peace any more. I will keep you updated.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 3:43 pm

what a bunch of bs, I had this happen to a friend of mine, where the firedepartment was called by someone else for absolutely no reason, wasn't due to burning anything, he's still not sure what it was about, and the the code inspector came out and wanted to go through the house. first off, if YOU didn't call them, and there wasn't any real emergency i'm not sure that you HAVE to let them in; as far as I understand it it's only violations that are in plain sight from the outside of a home. furthermore, anything that isn't to code, was there when you bought the house as far as you know...

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I wouldn't let them in the door, and if they wanted to get in ask them for the search warrant... And tell them, , NO I won't tie the dogs up!! And yes I always keep a loaded 12 guage by the door, you have a problem with that?? This is my home, and I protect it from unwanted tresspassers... which is YOU

Greg L

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 5:39 pm

I have worked in the fire Service for 19 years and can tell you for a fact I can enter a bussiness for an inspection, but NOT a residence unless the owner/ occupant request it. And then we just make suggestions, we are there to HELP the homeowner!

Rental/ section 8 property is a little different, if we have a known hazard we have to get a court order, which we rarely do. usually if children are endangered is the only time we do this. If you want to do yourself in, what the heck!

BUT, I live in the South and most of you guy's live in Yankee Land and things are different, it seems there are more laws controlling what you can and cannot do. But I doubt they can force their way into your home.

BK

links_56

Post by links_56 » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 5:58 pm

yeah, I know. I chased them off the property earlier. I have a 12ga by the door too. You would have to live in the city I live in to know that they will try to @#%! you any way they can. They shut my water off. Now there saying the house is "Un-fit" to live in because the floor and the wiring. ohhhhhh!!!! I'm so mad. I'm gonna have to move out into the country again. My house was in the country until they expanded the city. No more citys for me!!
bksaun wrote:I have worked in the fire Service for 19 years and can tell you for a fact I can enter a bussiness for an inspection, but NOT a residence unless the owner/ occupant request it. And then we just make suggestions, we are there to HELP the homeowner!
I understand that you are there to help, but in my town the fire inspector has the right to condemn a house for any reason he thinks fit. Its crooked as hell here. The city won't work with you either. on the upper hand its very warm in my house. Figures, just as soon as I get it working great, I'm gonna get evicted!! Thats my luck though. Links.

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 8:25 pm

LsFarm wrote:I wouldn't let them in the door, and if they wanted to get in ask them for the search warrant... And tell them, , NO I won't tie the dogs up!! And yes I always keep a loaded 12 guage by the door, you have a problem with that?? This is my home, and I protect it from unwanted tresspassers... which is YOU

Greg L

DITTO !!!

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 8:25 pm

That is exactly why o moved on top of the mountain I live on now. I can throw as much smoke as I want to and no one is there it complain.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jan. 30, 2008 7:24 am

I've visited and worked in a lot of places, the city is not for me. Nice to visit, but I'm glad when I get back home. It's even too "crowded" for me around here. I'd be very unhappy with a postage stamp sized yard and neighbor's houses all around. Even worse would be living in an apartment (been there, done that, back when I was a "youte" (excuse me, what is a "youte"?)).

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”