Advise for a Newby

mdhorvath
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S500 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea Anthracite

Post by mdhorvath » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 5:41 am

Thats 30/hr if it runs continously set on the max feed rate. I never had it set higher than the lowest rate witch is I think 15 lb/hr and it's very unlikely it will ever run 24/7

Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post by Willis » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Mine is also set on the lowest setting. I burn an average of 4 - 5 gal buckets a day when it is under 20 degrees out, but that Is keeping my drafty old house at 76. I don't really track my coal usage as I get my coal free at work but I estimate I have burned around 5-6 tons so far this year.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 8:19 pm

That is a good price. You have to remember that they burn the cheapest fuel you can find, so IMHO they are worth a good bit.

As previously stated by other members the 30lbs a hour is the max burn rate. However it wont run all the time, its hooked up to a holdfire timer to run the stoker for X min every 30 min or 60 min depending on how the coal burns to hold the fire like a pilot light, also the holdfire timer has terminals that hook up to a standard 24VAC thermostat and as a result the stoker will only run when the thermostat tells it to or when the timer cycles in order to keep the fire going.

I would check around and see if you can get stoker coal before buying a stoker.

Good luck and keep us posted.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Feb. 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Since stoker boilers that burn bit coal are so rare, and combustioneer and Stokermatic 77 hot air stoker furnaces are somewhat common. I know this is a bit of a 'stretch'.. but:

Could you put your outdoor building close enough to the house, that you could put in an insulated air duct work, both hot supply and cold return, between the house and the outdoor building? I'm thinking that if you can find a combustioneer or stokermatic for say under $500, and they do show up for that in your area and Kentucky, Tennesee, WV, southern Ohio...

Maybe just duct hot air in, tie it into your existing ductwork, return the cool air from your ducts, and just 'super-insulate' the ducts between the house and outdoor furnace room ??

Berlin, what is the BTU output of your stoker furnace ?? does this even seem reasonable??

By the way, I might, just maybe have a line on another Iron Fireman Bity stoker come summertime.. and then you need to find a boiler that is easily cleaned from the potential soot from your coal..
If I do have access to the Iron Fireman, I'll let ya know.

Greg L.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”